Re: [panflute-world] Re: Follow up question on oiling - Zamfir's instruments

  • Alan E Bell
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2006
      Hi George,

      I have just been having a look at the container in which I bought my last
      lot of paraffin oil. ( I use it for the initial cleaning of very dirty
      clocks). It does say that it contains kerosene and in fact the product
      number is UN 1223 KEROSENE. Years ago we just took a can along to the
      garage or hardware merchant and got it filled up. Now, of course, health
      and safety regulations come into the equation and the product is sold in
      sealed containers.

      In answer to your question regarding the Predas, I use, and so that there is
      no confusion, "Liquid Paraffin" which is a clear viscose odourless oil. I
      would certainly not like to play an instrument where ordinary paraffin oil
      had been used. You could smell it a mile away, or should that be 1.6
      kilometres?

      Actually, before using oil on my Predas I was unaware that they were
      supposed not to require any further treatment. However, as I said before,
      to my mind anyway, the tone is improved, as the bamboo does tend to dry out.

      Kind regards,

      Alan