[pancham] Re: Do u know Babul Daa

  • Subramaniam, Vaikuntam K (CAP
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 1999
      Manohari is a great Saxaphone player & in most RD songs he's played the
      saxaphone in the second
      half of RD's career.

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 1999
        Hi all,

        I needed to bring some of RD's top classical numbers into discussion just to
        justify
        he was not a mere 'western-influenced' music director.
        Apart from the nos in Kinara, Khushboo & Parichay (popular ones) I'd like to
        mention these

        1. Piya Baawari (Khubsoorat) (Asha)
        2. Mere angana ( Namkeen) (Asha)
        3. Roz Roz Daali ( Angoor ) (Asha)
        4. Na jeeya laage mora ( Buddha mil gaya) (Lata)
        5. Hamhen raaston ke (Namkeen)(Asha)

        U know the 5th one is exactly similar (in mukhada) to Saagar kinare ?
        All these r top songs & my favourites. More to follow.......

        Thanks
        Subra
        Subramaniam Vaikuntam
        * (203) 961 5855
        DialCom 8*228-5855
        E Mail vaikuntam.subramaniam@...

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/pancham
      • Burleigh Mannath
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 1999
          On Mon, 1 Feb 1999, Subramaniam, Vaikuntam K (CAP, RFS) wrote:

          > Manohari is a great Saxaphone player & in most RD songs he's played the
          > saxaphone in the second
          > half of RD's career.

          Some time ago I vaguely remember (at my age everything seems vague:))
          Pancham saying that Maruti Rao was in charge of his percussions.

          Burleigh (An RDent fan)

          eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/pancham
        • shashi@tajtech.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 25, 1999
            Babloo Chakravarthy joined the Jatin-Lalit group...which also explains their RDish music (besides their association as child singers). Babloo - nowadays referred as Babloo-da in cassette covers, arranges music for J-L. That's why he knows which instruments to use - guitar, saxaphone, etc.

            There was an article in Filmfare (I think) which suggested Babloo's transition to J-L as a betrayal to RD - who was already smarting by the desertation of his good friends: Ramesh Sippy, Shakti Samanta, Dev Anand and Rahul Rawail.

            (Dev did mention that once he starts giving hits, he'll be back with RD...alas!)

            (Shakti Samanta and RD were still good friends - they used to gamble heavily during diwali....I have an Asha interview after RD's demise, where she mentions RD's vices - drinking and smoking - only the best...and still being able to hold his voice better than any of the new singers)

            eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/pancham