Re: permaculture, planting by the moon, etc... correction

  • tuscan_man_1
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2010
      While the statement is correct that moon phases have to do only with the amount of light that we see from the moon's surface, I erroneously stated that the moon is always lit by the sun on the same side. This is not correct.
      Indeed WE see always the same side of the moon, while the sun-lit side is moving around the moon while the moon moves around the earth. The effect is the same: during the moon phases we se different parts of the sunny side of the moon. When the sun is on the same side of the earth as the moon, the moon side that faces us is dark ("new moon") because the sun lights the moon's "backside". In the case of full moon, the sun is on the opposite side and light's his front side.
      BTW the effect that the moon always shows us the same side is due to the fact that not only the moon causes tides on earth but also the earth causes tides on the moon. so this fixed position is called "tidal lock".
      Sorry for the error, should have noticed it right away.