Organic Mini-Farm Project

  • VDNANZAL
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3, 2013
      Hola Panama Gardeners,

      I am a member of a group of 50 persons living in the Pacific Coast Beaches area of Panama, who are exploring the feasability of developing an organic mini-farm, as part of our planned intentional community, to grow the bulk of our annual food requirements. We are currently involved in searching for a location for the community, but have determined that we will ideally require about 8 ac.(per John Jeavons and Jules Dervais) of good soil, an abundant natural water source,and relatively flat topography. However, none of us are horticulturalists or have had experience in growing crops in Panama or other tropical locations.

      We are hoping to find an experienced tropical gardener/horticulturalist/farmer who would be willing to provide information relative to our planning process: equipment list; cost estimating; productivity projections; manpower requirements; and anything and everything we would need to know to plan and establish a functional and efficient mini-farm.

      Any sugestions?

      Daniel Owsiany
      Chame, Rep. of Panama
    • Ramona Rhoades
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 3, 2013
        John Douglas, outside Penoneme. Finca perezosos. Fascinating man, knows everything there is to know about truly organic farming.
        Watch this
        urbangardeningpanama.com/panama-lazy- farmer

        Ramona

        Ramona Rhoades, Chair
        Democrats Abroad Panamá

        FORWARD

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 4, 2013
          You may want to consider growing your crops in a greenhouse for your community. You will have a better yield and more diversity for your community while still being able to grow your food organically.

          Your climate / microclimate will have a significant impact on what you grow and how well you grow your produce.

          It is challenging at best to grow crops outside without needing to resort to the use of chemicals for pest and disease. Growing outside you may be limited to what you can grow due to the wet and dry seasons.

          This is a major undertaking on the scale you are requiring. The learning curve can be steep with a financial cost (the amount required to sustain your community)

          Maybe select a group from your community to learn more about what is involved by volunteering at organic farms / greenhouses to get a true understanding of farming. John Douglas - The Lazy Gardener - Panama or Ron and Kim Miller at Finca Santa Marta near La Concepcion have "internships" of varying degrees.

          All the best.

          --- In panama_gardening@yahoogroups.com, "VDNANZAL" <vdnanzal@...> wrote:

          > Hola Panama Gardeners,
          >
          > I am a member of a group of 50 persons living in the Pacific Coast Beaches area of Panama, who are exploring the feasability of developing an organic mini-farm, as part of our planned intentional community, to grow the bulk of our annual food requirements. We are currently involved in searching for a location for the community, but have determined that we will ideally require about 8 ac.(per John Jeavons and Jules Dervais) of good soil, an abundant natural water source,and relatively flat topography. However, none of us are horticulturalists or have had experience in growing crops in Panama or other tropical locations.
          >
          > We are hoping to find an experienced tropical gardener/horticulturalist/farmer who would be willing to provide information relative to our planning process: equipment list; cost estimating; productivity projections; manpower requirements; and anything and everything we would need to know to plan and establish a functional and efficient mini-farm.
          >
          > Any sugestions?
          >
          > Daniel Owsiany
          > Chame, Rep. of Panama

        • Dalys Rest
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 4, 2013
            You should arrange a visit to Finca Santa Marta, a commercial organic farm not far from Concepcion run by Ron and Kim Miller.

            Pete
          • Grant Horak
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 5, 2013
              Thank you, I have sent them an email