machette sharpening

  • john douglas
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2012
      Sharpening
      You might want to consider not using your thumb the way I did for sharpening. The good news is that the emergency room was really quick and cheap. (Yes the foto is a lousy kechup toilet paper re-enactment. So it goes.)
      After that, I bought a handle/guard for the file to keep some plastic between me and the blade.
      I buy the cheap Chinese files as they are coarser so they sharpen faster and last longer.
      We just sharpen the front half of the blade, quicker to do and safer to carry and use.
      Assuming that you have an angle or bench grinder, form the blade with the grinder first.
      (If your machette is new and you don´t have a grinder , by the time you are done, you might want to write ZEN AND THE ART OF MACHETE SHARPENING. It will take a while.)

      Keep the grinder or blade (depending on type of grinder) moving so as to not overheat one spot. If a spot of the blade turns blue , it has been overheated and lost its´ temper. You might want to pass there again to remove the softened area. Try to stay close to but not touching the edge so as to not overheat. You will do the edge with the file. The more material that you remove with a grinder, the less you will have to remove with a file.
      With the file, alternate 20 or 30 strokes on each side of the blade. Feel the other side perpendicular to the cutting direction. When you feel a wire edge, you are getting close. Switch to the other side. Lighter each time to get a lesser wire edge until it is smooth.
      When you hold the edge up to the sun and do not see the edge reflecting, you have achieved sharp.:) happy I will put a smiley face on the side of your machete.

      john   Don Perezoso = The Lazy Farmer ....THE SECRET IS IN THE GARBAGE

      WEBSITE    English    http://www.organicpanamapermaculture.com/

      SITIO de WEB   Español    http://organicopanamapermacultura.yolasite.com/

      Spanish Videos
      VIDEO desde Pecha Kucha