suggestion for wind break/privacy trees - Vocancito, Boquete area

  • pat_susan_farrell
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2012
      hello everyone:

      We are all new to this and growing in Panama. Your posts are very helpful.

      We recently purchased land in Volcancito at about 5000 feet. It is currently a working coffee farm.

      We will be removing some of the coffee plants, and trees only as necessary, to build a small house, add a greenhouse or two and a pond.

      We do get winds where we are - not teribly bad - but they can be rough.

      We are looking for suggestions on trees/scrubs that make good wind breaks/privacy, easy to maintain and look fairly nice.

      Some areas that we want a wind break and privacy is a somewhat open field area. Other areas do have some other trees and protection.

      There are currently "corp-a chee" (spelling??) on the property - commonly used on coffee fincas - how to propogate these? These are older trees on the property but I think we could keep these to about 12 feet or so in some areas.

      Thinking bamboo may not be sturdy enough in some locations - prone to too much bending?

      Saw the use of sugar cane as a wind break....good idea?

      All suggestions welcome and appreciated.

      Thanks

      Pat & Susan Farrell