Re: growing from seeds tips!

  • carla
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2011
      Dear citrus planter,

      I have read that citrus seeds lose viability if left to dry, and that it's important to plant them soon (immediately or within days) after removing them from the fruit.

      !t's true that the more refined varieties won't come true to the mother tree, and quality fruit branches are grafted onto hardy root stock.

      If you will be grafting, plant your own root stock from seeds of healthy citrus growing in your area, such as the local sour tangerines or limes.

      Carla

      --- In panama_gardening@yahoogroups.com, "ded_vid" <ded_vid@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I want to grow some lemon and grapefruit trees from seed. I have been told the seeds have to be dried and then the outer skin removed, or can I put them in a pot straight out the fruit.
      >
      > Many thanks

    • Ken
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2011
        You can buy seedlings at MIDA in Bugaba for $1.25 that would work nicely.

        --- In panama_gardening@yahoogroups.com, "ded_vid" <ded_vid@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for that. what seedling tree can i use to graft on
        > manadrin-lemons and grapefruits.

      • Cathy Sanford
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2011
          The sour orange (Seville orange) has a strong rootstock and is suitable for grafting.