Soil Composition

  • Vicki L
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 23, 2011
      Is there somewhere in Volcan I can get my garden soil tested to see what it is missing, or has too much of?

      I made myself a nice, big hoop house with a cover for starting plants and hope to grow some tomatoes that will actually flower this time. Any thoughts on non-flowering tomato plants? I have tried four different varieties including one heirloom, still, no flowers.

      Thanks,

      Vicki
    • tuscan_man_1
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 24, 2011
        Maybe it's the micro climate causing a disease that kills flowers before
        they can develope?
        We are in Bajo Boquete and all our tomatoes are flowering although
        during the humid season they die mostlty before the fruit ripens because
        of wilt (fungus).
        We have tried growing thme organically but have had to use at least
        copper sulfate to treat them against fungus. And I am afreid we will
        have to use something against the bugs that get into the ripe fruit,
        leaving extensive black areas.

        Still did not want to spend the money for a tomato green house, but it's
        probably necessary in thiswet climate.

        --- In panama_gardening@yahoogroups.com, "Vicki L" <holdranoray@...>
        wrote:

        > Is there somewhere in Volcan I can get my garden soil tested to see
        what it is missing, or has too much of?

        > I made myself a nice, big hoop house with a cover for starting plants
        and hope to grow some tomatoes that will actually flower this time. Any
        thoughts on non-flowering tomato plants? I have tried four different
        varieties including one heirloom, still, no flowers.

        > Thanks,
        >
        > Vicki

      • Vicki L
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 24, 2011
          Copper Sulfate is on my list for other things, and it's inexpensive...or so I've heard. And, no one is cheaper than I am; I used PVC left over from the previous owners' irrigation project to make my greenhouse/hoop house. I had to buy a few connectors and a heavy plastic tarp, but already had everything else. Thanks for the copper sulfate reminder.

          Vicki
        • zamaarts
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2011
            Vicki,

            I had a MIDA engineer from the Bugaba office come to my farm and take soil samples. It took forever to get the results back, but you might want to inquire there.

            Best — Lyn