Re: Grumichama & Jaboticaba

  • utsaladdy
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011
      I confess I had never heard of either of these. A google search of Grumichama (Eugenia braziliensis) and Jaboticaba (Myrciaria cauliflora) indicates both are quite slow growing.

      http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/fruitproducts_gl.htm

      The CRFG site has a page on Jaboticaba:

      http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/jaboticaba.html

      Amazing how the fruit appears on old growth.

      --- In panama_gardening@yahoogroups.com, "dbash" <doug@...> wrote:

      > Does anybody have experience with the Brazilian cherry or Brazilian grape?

    • dbash
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011
        I found them on fruitipedia.com and they appear to be very good and fairly easy to grow.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011
          I just saw this on the txrarefruitgrowers forum:

          I have my grumichama in the warmest part of my yard where it almost
          never drops below 26˚. Mine is growing well and attractive too. It is
          only about 3 ft high and was easily protected in the January freeze.
          So there may be parts of urban Houston where such plants are easy to
          grow. We'll see.

          Bob Randall
          On Dec 23, 2010, at 8:19 AM, Edward Self wrote:

          Clayton,
          I don't consider myself an expert but it is one of my favorite fruits
          and tree! The grumichama is a very tasty fruit. It kinda of has a
          slight cherry flavor but dont buy it expecting a strong bing cherry
          flavor. The plant is very easy to grow in a container. If planted
          outdoors only plant on the southside of house or other structure that
          will provide protection from the north wind. Also be prepared to
          protect if temps are forecasted to go below 26 F. I tried it outdoors
          several years and it was severly damaged in the low 20s. It would
          recover each year but not fruit. If you grow it in a container and
          just bring it into a garage when low temps are forecasted it does
          really well and will fruit several times a year!
          Good Luck!

          --- In panama_gardening@yahoogroups.com, "utsaladdy" <utsaladdy@...> wrote:

          > I confess I had never heard of either of these. A google search of Grumichama (Eugenia braziliensis) and Jaboticaba (Myrciaria cauliflora) indicates both are quite slow growing.
          >
          > http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/fruitproducts_gl.htm
          >
          > The CRFG site has a page on Jaboticaba:
          >
          > http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/jaboticaba.html
          >
          > Amazing how the fruit appears on old growth.
          >

          > --- In panama_gardening@yahoogroups.com, "dbash" <doug@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Does anybody have experience with the Brazilian cherry or Brazilian grape?

        • kelpguy
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011
            > Does anybody have experience with the Brazilian cherry or Brazilian grape?

            what kind of experience are you looking for. i've harvested *and* eaten
            jaboticaba. that was an experience : )

            norm : ))~
          • dbash
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011
              Any and all experiences, from cultivation to consumption. How do you like them? I'm looking to plant some different fruit trees in Patrerillos and have no experience growing anything south of Florida.

              --- In panama_gardening@yahoogroups.com, "kelpguy" <kelpguy2@...> wrote:

              > > Does anybody have experience with the Brazilian cherry or Brazilian grape?
              >
              > what kind of experience are you looking for. i've harvested *and* eaten
              > jaboticaba. that was an experience : )
              >
              > norm : ))~

            • tuscan_man_1
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 2, 2011
                I am also interested in planting fruit trees here in Bajo Boquete,
                especially fruit that you don't find easily in every supermarket.
                I planted a few fig trees, some mulberries and blackberries and I am
                trying to grow some apple and pear trees besides the usual oranges,
                lemons, bananas and platanos.

                I've never heard about the two you mentioned. Where do you get the
                seedlings?

                --- In panama_gardening@yahoogroups.com, "dbash" <doug@...> wrote:

                > Any and all experiences, from cultivation to consumption. How do you
                like them? I'm looking to plant some different fruit trees in
                Patrerillos and have no experience growing anything south of Florida.

                > --- In panama_gardening@yahoogroups.com, "kelpguy" kelpguy2@ wrote:
                > >
                > > > Does anybody have experience with the Brazilian cherry or
                Brazilian grape?

                > > what kind of experience are you looking for. i've harvested *and*
                eaten
                > > jaboticaba. that was an experience : )
                > >
                > > norm : ))~

              • Lonnie Cross
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 2, 2011
                  Hey Norm,

                  I could be wrong, but I don't think figs, apples or pears will make it here. They're all deciduous and even if they do grow, it's doubtful they will bear.

                  I did plant some elderberry seeds the other day. I'll let y'all know what happens.

                  Lonnie in Puerto Armuelles

                  Great Wit and Madness are Near Allied and Thin Partitions do Their Bounds Divide!

                  John Dryden
                  1670

                  On Jan 2, 2011, at 12:31 PM, "tuscan_man_1" <heiner.sokolczek@...> wrote:

                  I am also interested in planting fruit trees here in Bajo Boquete,
                  especially fruit that you don't find easily in every supermarket.
                  I planted a few fig trees, some mulberries and blackberries and I am
                  trying to grow some apple and pear trees besides the usual oranges,
                  lemons, bananas and platanos.

                  I've never heard about the two you mentioned. Where do you get the
                  seedlings?

                  --- In panama_gardening@yahoogroups.com, "dbash" <doug@...> wrote:

                  > Any and all experiences, from cultivation to consumption. How do you
                  like them? I'm looking to plant some different fruit trees in
                  Patrerillos and have no experience growing anything south of Florida.

                  > --- In panama_gardening@yahoogroups.com, "kelpguy" kelpguy2@ wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Does anybody have experience with the Brazilian cherry or
                  Brazilian grape?

                  > > what kind of experience are you looking for. i've harvested *and*
                  eaten
                  > > jaboticaba. that was an experience : )
                  > >
                  > > norm : ))~

                • tuscan_man_1
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 2, 2011
                    Lonnie, I heard this before but...
                    I also learned that there is a lady in El Salto who has apples and pears and I got some pear seedlings from a relative. Afaik this variety is better for cooking but anyway it may make a good basis for later experiments. I also grew some pear plants from seed, will see in a few years if they produce anything edible.

                    I have three small fig trees grown from seedlings which I got from someone in Alto Boquete. He has also a fruit bearing fig tree in Bajo Boquete. The only problem he has with his figs is that the birds and other people like them a lot and don't leave him much to harvest. One of my plants which is little more than 1 foot high now has already 1 small fig. Pobrecito, I don't know if I'll ever be able to eat this one, got a lot of birds in my garden.

                    --- In panama_gardening@yahoogroups.com, Lonnie Cross <lonnie_r@...> wrote:

                    > Hey Norm,
                    >
                    > I could be wrong, but I don't think figs, apples or pears will make it here. They're all deciduous and even if they do grow, it's doubtful they will bear.
                    >
                    > I did plant some elderberry seeds the other day. I'll let y'all know what happens.
                    >
                    > Lonnie in Puerto Armuelles
                    >
                    > Great Wit and Madness are Near Allied and Thin Partitions do Their Bounds Divide!
                    >
                    > John Dryden
                    > 1670
                    >
                    > On Jan 2, 2011, at 12:31 PM, "tuscan_man_1" <heiner.sokolczek@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > > I am also interested in planting fruit trees here in Bajo Boquete,
                    > > especially fruit that you don't find easily in every supermarket.
                    > > I planted a few fig trees, some mulberries and blackberries and I am
                    > > trying to grow some apple and pear trees besides the usual oranges,
                    > > lemons, bananas and platanos.
                    > >
                    > > I've never heard about the two you mentioned. Where do you get the
                    > > seedlings?
                    > >
                    > > --- In panama_gardening@yahoogroups.com, "dbash" <doug@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Any and all experiences, from cultivation to consumption. How do you
                    > > like them? I'm looking to plant some different fruit trees in
                    > > Patrerillos and have no experience growing anything south of Florida.

                    > > Brazilian grape?

                    > > eaten

                  • dbash
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 2, 2011
                      I know a guy in Cerro Punta with abundantly producing fig tree and Chinese pear tree.

                      --- In panama_gardening@yahoogroups.com, "tuscan_man_1" <heiner.sokolczek@...> wrote:

                      > Lonnie, I heard this before but...
                      > I also learned that there is a lady in El Salto who has apples and pears and I got some pear seedlings from a relative. Afaik this variety is better for cooking but anyway it may make a good basis for later experiments. I also grew some pear plants from seed, will see in a few years if they produce anything edible.
                      >
                      > I have three small fig trees grown from seedlings which I got from someone in Alto Boquete. He has also a fruit bearing fig tree in Bajo Boquete. The only problem he has with his figs is that the birds and other people like them a lot and don't leave him much to harvest. One of my plants which is little more than 1 foot high now has already 1 small fig. Pobrecito, I don't know if I'll ever be able to eat this one, got a lot of birds in my garden.
                      >
                      > --- In panama_gardening@yahoogroups.com, Lonnie Cross <lonnie_r@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hey Norm,
                      > >
                      > > I could be wrong, but I don't think figs, apples or pears will make it here. They're all deciduous and even if they do grow, it's doubtful they will bear.
                      > >
                      > > I did plant some elderberry seeds the other day. I'll let y'all know what happens.
                      > >
                      > > Lonnie in Puerto Armuelles
                      > >
                      > > Great Wit and Madness are Near Allied and Thin Partitions do Their Bounds Divide!
                      > >
                      > > John Dryden
                      > > 1670
                      > >
                      > > On Jan 2, 2011, at 12:31 PM, "tuscan_man_1" <heiner.sokolczek@> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > > I am also interested in planting fruit trees here in Bajo Boquete,
                      > > > especially fruit that you don't find easily in every supermarket.
                      > > > I planted a few fig trees, some mulberries and blackberries and I am
                      > > > trying to grow some apple and pear trees besides the usual oranges,
                      > > > lemons, bananas and platanos.
                      > > >
                      > > > I've never heard about the two you mentioned. Where do you get the
                      > > > seedlings?

                      > > > like them? I'm looking to plant some different fruit trees in
                      > > > Patrerillos and have no experience growing anything south of Florida.

                      > > > Brazilian grape?

                      > > > eaten

                    • utsaladdy
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 2, 2011
                        More on these two fruits available on a link I just added to the links section. This is from a book by Julia F. Morton:

                        http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/jaboticabas.html

                        http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/grumichama.html
                      • DouglasB
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 3, 2011
                          I don't know where to get the seedlings. Maybe some interest could be generated at MIDA in different varieties of tropical and sub-tropical edible fruits that don't already grow here.

                          --- In panama_gardening@yahoogroups.com, "tuscan_man_1" <heiner.sokolczek@...> wrote:

                          > I am also interested in planting fruit trees here in Bajo Boquete,
                          > especially fruit that you don't find easily in every supermarket.
                          > I planted a few fig trees, some mulberries and blackberries and I am
                          > trying to grow some apple and pear trees besides the usual oranges,
                          > lemons, bananas and platanos.
                          >
                          > I've never heard about the two you mentioned. Where do you get the
                          > seedlings?
                          >

                          > --- In panama_gardening@yahoogroups.com, "dbash" <doug@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Any and all experiences, from cultivation to consumption. How do you
                          > like them? I'm looking to plant some different fruit trees in
                          > Patrerillos and have no experience growing anything south of Florida.

                          > Brazilian grape?
                          > > >
                          > > > what kind of experience are you looking for. i've harvested *and*
                          > eaten
                          > > > jaboticaba. that was an experience : )
                          > > >
                          > > > norm : ))~

                        • kelpguy
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 3, 2011
                            > Any and all experiences, from cultivation to consumption. How do you like
                            them?

                            this was 30 years ago, i was on the ''wet side'' (hilo area) of the big
                            island of hawaii. i don't remember much about them, cept they weren't my
                            favorite, they look so much like dead ripe, picked from the tree in ferry
                            county, wa., bing cherries that i was expecting more 'wow' from them but
                            then they had to complete with big island sunrise papayas and mangoes.

                            your tastes might differ but i wouldn't plant them unless i had a lot of
                            room and then i'd plant one of everything that would grow in my area : )

                            > Amazing how the fruit appears on old growth.

                            jackfruit also grows on ''old growth'' (tree trunks).

                            norm : ))~
                            siogui arriba, chiriquí, panamá
                            1000ft elv
                          • DouglasB
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 3, 2011
                              Thanks for the opinion and you're right about not much coming close to WA bing cherries. Where is Siogui Arriba?