Re: [Pashtun_Solidarity] Distortion of Peshawar city's history

  • sarfraz hayat
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
      If Peshawar was winter capital of Afghanistan it meant that lamost certainly at that stage the language used for official purposes would have been Farsi and that there would have been a lot of Pashtuns/Afghans in peshawar.

      when Peshawar fell to the Sikhs - more than half of the population of Peshawar left - the sikhs hated Pashtuns/Afghans the most so it would have been mostly Pashtuns/Afghans who had left.

      Some of the Farsi speakers submerged with the Hindko population - which over the next 150 seemed to grow - with people; coming from Kashmir, India, Punjab. the Hindko speakers have married with these people probably more than Pashtuns - so it bolsters their population. i am pretty much sure the british wewnt out of their way to support hindko against pashtuns during their rule

      does any one agree or share similar views with me?

      Feroz Afridi <feroz1@...> wrote:

      Distortion of Peshawar city’s history

      My letter is in response to Dr Amjad Hussain’s article, “On being air-brushed out of one’s home”, about the book of Dr Raj Wali Khattak, “An intangible heritage: the walled city of Peshawar”.

      I have had the honour along with my forefathers to be still a resident of the walled city of Peshawar. It is rather a golden truth that the Peshawar city was a city of the Hindko speakers and it is still a city of the Hindko speakers.

      At the age of 46 years, I along with my parents remember that a few decades back the Pushto-speaking brethren were a rarity in the Peshawar city and those who lived in the walled city felt proud to speak Hindko, adopt the culture of the Hindko speakers and contract marriages with the Hindko speakers of Peshawar.

      Dr Amjad Hussain has rightly pointed out that it is the fertile imagination of Dr Raj Wali Khattak to call it a Pushtoon city of the past. To distort history in this way is an abnormal phenomenon and in our medical terms we call it ‘illusion’, which means the misinterpretation of genuine perceptual stimuli, e.g. insisting that a pyjama cord on the floor is a snake.

      However, one credit that Dr Raj Wali Khattak should get is that the gestures of this type along with the issue of Pukhtoonkhwa in 1988 are stimulating the Hindko speakers of the NWFP to study the history of the area and learn more and more about the immigration of the tribes into the ancient Gandhara.

      Dr Adnan Gul,

      Peshawar.

      ---------------------------------

      For any reponse to any emailsd I send please contact me personally on saffyhuk@... or sarfraz_hayat@...

    • rajwali shah
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2005
        Dear Dr. Adnan
        I would not go into detail in response to
        your letter,but would like tell you,how I got the
        illusion about peshawar and what made my imagination
        fertile is the authentic sources of hisrory,if you can
        refute it with reason and more authentic reference,it
        will help removing my illusion as well as those of the
        anciant and modren historians.Following are the few
        "illutions" of the ilusioned researchers;
        "The Awans,Kashmiris and other Hindkees constituted
        the class of Mechanics,artificers and petty traders
        throughuot the district Peshawar.They are styled
        collectively Hamsaya[Dependent]or
        Fakir[Vassal].{Punjab Gazetteer,Peshawar District
        1897-98 page143}

        "Hindki or Hindko,both of which means the language of
        Hindus,are chiefly used in the Tans-Indus districts
        where Pathans speak Pashto and Hindus Lahanda"
        {The linguistic Survey of Pakistan P-241}
        "Hindko is spoken only by scattered Hindus."
        {The Linguistic Survey of Pakistan P-241}
        "The Language of Lahanda"follows the western border of
        Hazara over nearly the whole of which Lahanda is the
        Principal language....besides this Lahanda is spoken
        by Hindus in the trans-Indus districts of
        Peshawar,Kohat and Bannu"
        {Sir George Grierson}
        Lahanda or the language of the west[Punjabi-Lahanda
        the Boli] It has no literature,and has no standard
        form,so that it is rather a group of connected dialect
        than a language with a definite standard.The Eastern
        boundary of Lahanda may be taken as the river Chenab
        from the Kashmir Frontier,down to the town of Ram
        Nagar in the district of Gujranwala.Thence it runs in
        a strait line to the North-West corner of Montgomery
        and across that district to the South West corner.Its
        nothern boundary may be taken as coinciding on the
        East with range of mountains forming the southern
        limit of the Kashmir valley,while to the west it
        skirts that valley and reaches as far North as the
        water shed dividing the Indus from the Jehlum
        valley.Hence it is bounded on the west by the
        Kohistani of the Indus valley,till we reach the Hazara
        district.Thence the western boundary may be roughly
        taken as the Indus itself.These eastern and western
        boundaries are,however,indifinite.
        [Census of India 1931 by Mallam and
        Dundas.p-175]
        "The existence of lahanda as a separate language has
        long been recognised under various names such as
        Jajki,Multani,Hindkior Hindko and Western Punjabi"
        [Linguistic Survey of Pakistan.VOL-IV.P-233]
        "Hindki or Hindko,the language of the Hindus[i.e.
        Non-Pathans]is the name given to Lahanda in the west
        of the Lahanda Tract,in which Musalmans
        Pashto-speaking Pathans also dwell.
        {Linguistic Survey of Pakistan Vol:1 page 136}
        "The "Awans" have spread over the south of the
        district Attock where their dialect is called Awankari
        and across the Indus into Kohat where it is spoken by
        Hindus and Awans scattered amongst the Pashto speaking
        Pathan population.Here the Lahanda is called by
        various names,such as Awanki,Awankari,Hindki,Hindko
        and Kohati.
        [Linguistic Survey of Pakistan Vol-IV page-242].
        Dear Dr.Adnan,there are hundreds rather thousands of
        other references of researches and history books,which
        caused this illusion,I hope you clear it by giving
        reason and reasonable refernces if you are so
        reasonable.

        http://mail.yahoo.com