Re: Myths About The Men of Kandahar

  • pakhtuntura
    Message 1 of 35 , May 31, 2004
      That means faggot, it doesn't mean homosexual or gay lover. For
      example if I wish to insult you I would call you a kuni. There is no
      joyce or passionate term in Pashto for a homosexual. Even using the
      word banda is insulting. For example I can't say Sam is my banda, it
      means sam is my b*tch. I can't say sam is my kuni, it will mean sam
      is my faggot i.e in urdu gando.

      If you use any of those terms for your lover don't expect to get any
      loving for a least month from your lover.

      --- In pakhtu@yahoogroups.com, Sam Sloan <samsloan@s...> wrote:
      > At 08:37 PM 5/30/2004 -0000, pakhtuntura wrote:
      >
      > >When these articles first came out, and I believe there were two.
      In
      > >one they called the pretty boys "Ashna", and in this
      one "Halekon",
      > >people shed them aside because they know that this is garbage. No
      one
      > >paid any attention. We all know who speak Pashto that Ashna means
      > >lover, could be man or woman. Halek means guy, boy, Halekon means
      > >boys, guys. These words are used in our daily vocab for our own
      > >family members by many of us. Though this just show the ignorance
      of
      > >some people when it comes to that part of the world.
      >
      > I always thought that the word in Pashtu was "kuni".
      >
      > What about that?
      >
      > Sam Sloan
    • Atta ur Rahman
      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 9 8:05 AM
        Grano wrono
        Sarfaraz wrore is very right in suggesting not to take it seriously. But still we must tell them what we, Pakhtuns, feel and think about these stories. My non-Pukhtun pakistani friends usually jokedabout Bannu and Mardan. I don't take them seriously but often ask them whether they ever visited these places and mostly find them nodding in nay. I didn't laugh with them either to discourage them. Now I get such comments very seldom though I continue to be a co-worker.
        We must reach to such people and let them know,very politely about the truth. At the same time we must accept and condemn any such evil present around us.
        Though it is policy of the Western media to hide their social evils and let the world see only the other face of it. On the other hand they will try to hide our good face and over expose which may be very little, but an evil.
        Atta