Extremism, moderation and negligence

  • afridime@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2002
      AssalamuAlaikum,
      Please read this Q&A which refutes people who go to
      extremes in the
      religion.

      Question:
      What is meant by moderation in religion?

      Answer:
      Praise be to Allaah.
      Moderation in religion means that one does not
      exaggerate and go beyond the
      limit set by Allaah, and that one does not neglect it
      and fall short of the
      limit set by Allaah.

      Moderation in religion means following the example of
      the Prophet (peace and
      blessings of Allaah be upon him). Exaggeration means
      trying to do more than
      he did, and negligence means not reaching that level.

      For example, a man says, "I want to spend all night in
      prayer (qiyaam
      al-layl), and never sleep all my life, because prayer
      is one of the best
      acts of worship, so I want to spend the entire night
      in prayer." We say,
      this is going to extremes in the religion of Allaah,
      and this is not right.
      Something like this happened at the time of the
      Prophet (peace and blessings
      of Allaah be upon him), when a group of men got
      together and one of them
      said, "I will pray at night and never sleep." Another
      said, "I will fast and
      never break my fast." The third one said, "I will
      never marry women." News
      of that reached the Prophet (peace and blessings of
      Allaah be upon him) and
      he said, "What is wrong with people who say such and
      such? I fast and I
      break my fast. I sleep, and I marry women. Whoever
      overlooks my Sunnah does
      not belong to me." These people had gone to extremes
      in religion, and so the
      Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)
      disowned them, because
      they overlooked his Sunnah which includes fasting and
      not fasting, praying
      at night and sleeping, and marrying women.

      The one who is falling short is one who says, "I do
      not need to do
      voluntary (naafil) actions, so I will not do them. I
      will only do the fard
      actions. He may even be falling short in the fard
      actions, so this person is
      lacking.

      The moderate person is one who follows the path of
      the Messenger (peace and
      blessings of Allaah be upon him) and his
      rightly-guided successors
      (al-Khulafaa' al-Raashidoon).

      Another example: three men are faced with an immoral
      man. One of them says,
      "I will not greet this immoral man and I will boycott
      him, keep away from
      him and not speak to him."

      The second one says, "I will go with this immoral
      man, greet him and smile
      at him. I will invite him to my place and accept his
      invitation. He is just
      like any righteous man to me."

      The third one says, "I hate this immoral man for his
      immoral actions, but I
      love him for his faith. I will not boycott him unless
      doing so is in his
      best interests. If there is nothing to be gained by
      boycotting him, and if
      that will only increase him in his immorality, then I
      will not boycott him."

      We say that the first man is going to extremes, the
      second is negligent and
      the third is moderate.

      The same applies to all other acts of worship and
      dealings with others.
      People vary between extremism, negligence and
      moderation.

      A third example: A man is a prisoner of his wife, who
      directs him as she
      wishes and he does not stop her from committing sin,
      or urge her to do good.
      She has taken over his reason and has become the one
      who is in charge of
      him.

      Another man treats his wife in a harsh, arrogant and
      high-handed manner. He
      does not care about her and regards her as less than a
      servant.

      A third man is moderate in his dealings with his
      wife, as Allaah and His
      Messenger commanded.

      "And they (women) have rights (over their husbands as
      regards living
      expenses) similar (to those of their husbands) over
      them (as regards
      obedience and respect) to what is reasonable"

      [al-Baqarah 2:228 - interpretation of the meaning]

      [The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon
      him) said:] "Let no
      believing man hate a believing woman. If he dislikes
      one of her
      characteristics he will be pleased with another."

      This last man is the one who is moderate. The second
      one is extreme in his
      dealings with his wife, and the first is falling
      short.

      The same applies to all other deeds and acts of
      worship.

      Majmoo' Fataawa wa Rasaa'il li Fadeelat al-Shaykh
      Muhammad ibn Saalih al-
      `Uthaymeen, vol. 1, p. 42

      Wassalamu Alaikum,

      Authentic Websites you can visit :
      www.Salafipublications.Com
      www.SalafiBookStore.Com
      www.TheClearPath.Com (English & Urdu)
      www.Fatwa-Online.Com
      www.Islam4Kids.Com
      www.Al-Manhaj.Com
      www.Troid.Org
      www.Qss.Org

      =====
      "And what is wrong with you that you fight not in the Cause of Allâh,
      and for those weak, ill­treated and oppressed among men, women, and
      children, whose cry is: "Our Lord! Rescue us from this town whose
      people are oppressors; and raise for us from You one who will
      protect, and raise for us from You one who will help." Qur'an: Surah
      Al-nisa Ayah 75)