Ipad painting and painter work from Jeanie

  • Nick Mellersh
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2012
      Hi
      There is some of Jeanie's recent Ipad painting here and a book she recently did on Painter here. Also some tutorial vids linked to the ipad blog showing how David Hockney might create the ipad works that caused such a stir over here in England.

      The ipad work was mostly done on "Brushes" which is a nice little program.(sorry "app").  To me, Brushes makes Painter seem a little clunky.  Brushes is up front in acknowledging that it is making digital marks on a screen and does not name its brushes after traditional media variants.  Seems to me this is the way digital art is bound to go.  Jeanie finds the ipad great for taking outside.  There is only one thing to take and when she sits down to paint she has a whole choice of whether to work in colour black and white or whatever.  There are a few problems with reflection in bright sunlight but that is about all.

      The Painter work was for a friends book "Harry the bridesmaid."  It was a sort of memorial for the author.  The author was a friend and young pupil who died before she was 30.  Jeanie spent years trying to get the book right.  There is a cast of thousands in the book and Jeanie was not happy until each person had the appropriate expression in each of the pics and was recognisable throughout the book as well.  Getting the expressions right was Jeanie's main aim so that the book could be "read" by a child who could not read the words. You can judge for yourself whether she succeeded.

      Please buy the book if you can.  We have plenty left!

      Hope you enjoy it.   We'd be interested to hear what people think about the Painter or ipad work.

      Nick Mellersh