Re: Facebook

  • Changing Wind
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2011
      What on earth is a troll? I keep hearing this word and others tossed around but I really don't have the first clue what it means, other than another derogatory remark. Thanks, CW

      n pagansoftheworld@yahoogroups.com, "jonisyngs" <JoniSyngs@...> wrote:

      > Are the Group members hanging out on the social network? I don't get on MySpace that much any more (the pagan groups are fraught with trolls) and I am not on Twitter. So Facebook is my time-waster of choice.
      >
      > Here is the link Gordon posted a while back to the Group's Facebook page. Have any of you guys joined?
      >
      > http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Pagans-of-the-World/285702583389
      >
      > Jo-Ann

    • Changing Wind
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2011
        What on earth is a troll??? I keep hearing it thrown around as a derogatory remark. Along with fluffy and sunshiner. I get the last two but don't have the first clue as to the troll remarks. Can someone please enlighten me? Thanks!

        --- In pagansoftheworld@yahoogroups.com, "jonisyngs" <JoniSyngs@...> wrote:

        > Are the Group members hanging out on the social network? I don't get on MySpace that much any more (the pagan groups are fraught with trolls) and I am not on Twitter. So Facebook is my time-waster of choice.
        >
        > Here is the link Gordon posted a while back to the Group's Facebook page. Have any of you guys joined?
        >
        > http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Pagans-of-the-World/285702583389
        >
        > Jo-Ann

      • Jo-Ann
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 1, 2011
          A Troll is an individual who joins a group with the intent to cause mischief.  On MySpace, they'll enter a group, taunt members, post multiple empty threads so members find it difficult to locate their favorite topics.  Discussion stops, people leave or stop checking in with the group, community is affected.  Trolls embarrass people, photoshop their ID pics to make them look foolish, often causing members to lose their temper, then Trolls have a reason to tell their friends to join. While moderators can hide groups or restrict membership, some Trolls get around that because they can manipulate MySpace code.  Sometimes they can clean up the damage, sometimes it's too great - malicious threads must be removed individually, and at times there are hundreds to remove.

          The TOS folks appreciate the Trolls for a few reasons.  These people have figured out different codes and "fixes" for MySpace and some Trolls hang out in the "help" groups.  Trolls also target pedophile groups and fetish groups if anyone mentions child porn.  Those groups often disappear.

          When they enter a group, Trolls want people to recognize them as such and be nice to them.  As long as folks are nice, they don't do any damage.  The more attention paid to the Troll, the more "protection" the Group is guaranteed.  Then if a rival Troll comes along, the resident Troll sends them packing.  Pretty medieval.

          Trolls don't all get along.  They form Groups where they brag about their "kills" and rally for Group "kills."  They apparently have a lot of time on their hands.

          Pagan groups on MySpace, with the exception of a very few, have been the target of Trolls (not that other groups are immune). I know all this because one person I was MySpace friends with joined the Troll community and protected certain Groups.  We're friends in person now (after butting heads over a freedom of speech misunderstanding), although he lives in Massachusetts.  He's a Satanist and I've learned quite a bit from him.

          I've not met a Troll on Facebook; you can easily delete and block a person and they can't get around it.  On Yahoo, moderators can identify Trolls and kick them out, but that doesn't prevent them from rejoining under another name.

          Jo-Ann
          Here's my Facebook page.  If you'd like to add me, please include a message that says what your name is from PagansoftheWorld so I know who you are!  :-)

          What on earth is a troll? I keep hearing this word and others tossed around but I really don't have the first clue what it means, other than another derogatory remark. Thanks, CW

          n pagansoftheworld@yahoogroups.com, "jonisyngs" <JoniSyngs@...> wrote:

          > Are the Group members hanging out on the social network? I don't get on MySpace that much any more (the pagan groups are fraught with trolls) and I am not on Twitter. So Facebook is my time-waster of choice.
          >
          > Here is the link Gordon posted a while back to the Group's Facebook page. Have any of you guys joined?
          >
          > http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Pagans-of-the-World/285702583389
          >
          > Jo-Ann

        • Jo-Ann
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 1, 2011
            I think different people have different definitions of fluffy, so I'm going to let someone else take that.

            Sunshiners are those who want to live in the light all the time, not accepting the dark side exists, or they avoid it.

            Jo-Ann

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 1, 2011
              This happened in my group as well. trolls in this day and age
              cause problems, I had flame wars because some people could
              not be flexible enough to be on the Internet.
              Would actually post my way or the highway to hell, would be
              banned but they can get around that but their IPS addresses
              give them away as well as they cannot stop posting bad things
              and are eventually caught again.
              Myself I am not on ANY social networking group other than
              Yahoo, No Facebook, MySpace, Mylife, etc
              Here's a good reason why.

              http://www.vpcharlescurtis.net/ksstudies/Internet.htm

> [...]
              >
              > Jo-Ann
              > Here's my Facebook page. If you'd like to add me, please include a message that says what your name is from PagansoftheWorld so I know who you are! :-)
              >
              > http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=538483698
              >
              > From: Changing Wind <pvansickle1959@...>
              > What on earth is a troll? I keep hearing this word and others tossed around but I really don't have the first clue what it means, other than another derogatory remark. Thanks, CW
              >
              >> "jonisyngs" <JoniSyngs@> wrote:
              > > Are the Group members hanging out on the social network? I don't get on MySpace that much any more (the pagan groups are fraught with trolls) and I am not on Twitter. So Facebook is my time-waster of choice.
              > >
              > > Here is the link Gordon posted a while back to the Group's Facebook page. Have any of you guys joined?

            • Jo-Ann
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 1, 2011
                This is very useful, thanks.

                I tried to locate myself on a few of the free sites, and I couldn't - even though I used every legal name I've ever had.  I've never had an unlisted number, and have always had my phone number on my Facebook.  I'm not a homeowner, don't have anything of real value.  I suppose if I achieved sudden fame or won the lottery, I'd feel differently.

                Jo-Ann

> [...]

                > Jo-Ann
                > Here's my Facebook page. If you'd like to add me, please include a message that says what your name is from PagansoftheWorld so I know who you are! :-)
                >
                > http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=538483698
                >
                > From: Changing Wind <pvansickle1959@...>
                > What on earth is a troll? I keep hearing this word and others tossed around but I really don't have the first clue what it means, other than another derogatory remark. Thanks, CW
                >
                >> "jonisyngs" <JoniSyngs@> wrote:
                > > Are the Group members hanging out on the social network? I don't get on MySpace that much any more (the pagan groups are fraught with trolls) and I am not on Twitter. So Facebook is my time-waster of choice.
                > >
                > > Here is the link Gordon posted a while back to the Group's Facebook page. Have any of you guys joined?

              • santonino49
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 1, 2011
                  Strange as it may sound, at least to me it is strange, I've been called
                  a troll over the years by some. I've never considered myself a troll, or
                  intended on disrupting a cyber group by such behavior, but sometimes
                  certain people always come across as a troll or get accused of such
                  behavior. It may be their personality, my can be moody and whimsical, or
                  it could be the general nature of communication over the internet, no
                  facial, hand, eye-to-eye contact and/or body language.

                  What is rather strange about these situations, is that an individual
                  will inadvertently become what they are often accused of being. I've
                  been accused of having a black heart, and quite frankly my heart has
                  blackened over the years. It is like the old lady with the astrology
                  book I mentioned earlier. She told me my wrist was one of the weak
                  points in my body and low-and-behold in the near future I break my
                  wrist.

                  We as individuals and groups often manifest the behavior we sometimes
                  criticize and disdain.

                  Santo

                  --- In pagansoftheworld@yahoogroups.com, "lady_talala" <lady_talala@...>

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 2, 2011
                    Thank you for the information. It really cleared things up for me. They deserve the name completely. CW

                    --- In pagansoftheworld@yahoogroups.com, Jo-Ann <JoniSyngs@...> wrote:

                    > A Troll is an individual who joins a group with the intent to cause mischief. On MySpace, they'll enter a group, taunt members, post multiple empty threads so members find it difficult to locate their favorite topics. Discussion stops, people leave or stop checking in with the group, community is affected. Trolls embarrass people, photoshop their ID pics to make them look foolish, often causing members to lose their temper, then Trolls have a reason to tell their friends to join. While moderators can hide groups or restrict membership, some Trolls get around that because they can manipulate MySpace code. Sometimes they can clean up the damage, sometimes it's too great - malicious threads must be removed individually, and at times there are hundreds to remove.
                    >
                    > The TOS folks appreciate the Trolls for a few reasons. These people have figured out different codes and "fixes" for MySpace and some Trolls hang out in the "help" groups. Trolls also target pedophile groups and fetish groups if anyone mentions child porn. Those groups often disappear.
                    >
                    > When they enter a group, Trolls want people to recognize them as such and be nice to them. As long as folks are nice, they don't do any damage. The more attention paid to the Troll, the more "protection" the Group is guaranteed. Then if a rival Troll comes along, the resident Troll sends them packing. Pretty medieval.
                    >
                    > Trolls don't all get along. They form Groups where they brag about their "kills" and rally for Group "kills." They apparently have a lot of time on their hands.
                    >
                    > Pagan groups on MySpace, with the exception of a very few, have been the target of Trolls (not that other groups are immune). I know all this because one person I was MySpace friends with joined the Troll community and protected certain Groups. We're friends in person now (after butting heads over a freedom of speech misunderstanding), although he lives in Massachusetts. He's a Satanist and I've learned quite a bit from him.
                    >
                    > I've not met a Troll on Facebook; you can easily delete and block a person and they can't get around it. On Yahoo, moderators can identify Trolls and kick them out, but that doesn't prevent them from rejoining under another name.
                    >
                    > Jo-Ann
                    > Here's my Facebook page. If you'd like to add me, please include a message that says what your name is from PagansoftheWorld so I know who you are! :-)
                    >
                    > http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=538483698

                  • chiawana
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 2, 2011
                      I deleted my Myspace account... it's irrelevant. Some unmoderated Facebook pages have spam posts but at least the only trolls you get are the ones you are stupid enough to accept a friend request from! I think every message board has had troll issues, but they are eventually dealt with, whether it's by the moderators or by ridicule from regular members, lol.