Re: [pagansoftheworld] The Power of the Word

  • Crickjump@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2010
      An interesting thought SW. At the end of the day our word is our bond, at least to some of us (sigh)...

      Mother Earth Gemstones - Quality Gemstones, Crystals, Fossils & more...
                                        http://MotherEarthGemstones.com

      Whispering Woods. A comprehensive Pagan website

      From: Crick <Crickjump@...>
      Subject: [pagansoftheworld] The Power of the Word
      To: pagansoftheworld@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, August 30, 2010, 10:19 PM

      Hey folks: For many years I have pondered on the power of the spoken word in particular and its off springs the written word and to a lesser extent the ever infamous middle finger which in essence is a "gesture" that denotes the infamous "F" bomb. When one looks at Celtic heritage, "Corbre" comes to mind, for he was the first recorded satirist to bring down a powerful king of the Fomorians by use of the spoken word. And so I look at how folks all throughout our society attack their family members, co- workers, friends and enemies and strangers on a daily basis by way of the aforementioned forms of words; oral, written and gesture. And I have watched through the years as folks who profess to be members of the pagan community and who thus claim to follow a higher standard have followed the same pattern of verbal, written and gesture abuse that the rest of society engages in on a daily basis. And generally it's directed at other folks who also profess to follow the pagan path. And then I look at all of the violence and turmoil that marks us as a species whether one is pagan or not and I wonder if it goes back to the irresponsible use of the power of words? If words do have such power as the ancient's claim they do, then do we not as students of the mystical arts have a responsibility to live up to our self professed paths in deed as well as in our words? And if we don't do this are we just kidding ourselves as to our commitment to the mystical arts?
      Are folks who ignore the power of the word and the responsibilities that go along with having such power just being irresponsible? In the end we have to ask ourselves just what tenets do we want to exercise in defining the pagan community. Are we as a mystical community (at least in appearance) up to the task to set such an example and to live it with a dose of reality? Is it not expectant of us to show such maturity as we engage the mystical arts by whatever path it is that we follow? Or is the pagan community simply full of empty (powerless) words?

      Blessings

      Crick

    • Raven
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 3, 2010
        Funny that this topic came up, I was recently writing about the power of words; specifically "Words of Power".

        In my opinion curse words for the most part have lost their power for most of us. Once upon a more civil and polite time they had much more power because they were so infrequently used. The standard curse words are bantered about so often that they no longer have the impact or the "power" that they once did. I myself am guilty of using them too much. I have in recent years tried to curb their use but I am not always successful.

        If I find myself in a situation when I really need a good curse word I have to get creative to find or even make up a word that has the intended impact.

        As magickal people we often use words as tools of power but I do not believe that they have any power until we give it to them. This of course lays waste to the idea that "words of power" could be accidentally used by some unsuspecting soul to create mayhem. This I believe is simply the realm of fiction and entertainment.

        FFFF
        Raven