[packet-switching] [TECH-SUPPORT] Technologically Challenged

  • Telford002@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 1999
      [Providing technical support is an important part of the packet
      switching business. Because of the complexity of systems and
      protocols, more technical support is often required in the packet
      switching business than in other areas of hi-tech. The following
      describes some interesting incidents in tech support.]

      Just in case you think you are TC (technologically challenged). The
      following is an excerpt taken from a Wall Street Journal article:

      1. Compaq is considering changing the command "Press Any Key" to
      "Press Return Key" because of the flood of calls asking where the
      "Any" key is.

      2. AST technical support had a caller complaining that her mouse was
      hard to control with the dust cover on. The cover turned out to be
      the plastic bag the mouse was packaged in.

      3. Another Compaq technician received a call from a man complaining
      that the system wouldn't read word processing files from his old
      diskettes. After trouble-shooting for magnets and heat failed to
      diagnose the problem, it was found that the customer had labeled the
      diskettes, then rolled them into the typewriter to type the labels.

      4. Another AST customer was asked to send a copy of her defective
      diskettes. A few days later a letter arrived from the customer along
      with photocopies of the floppies.

      5. A Dell technician advised his customer to put his troubled floppy
      back in the drive and close the door. The customer asked the tech to
      hold on, and was heard putting the phone down, getting up and crossing
      the room to close the door to his room.

      6. Another Dell customer called to say he couldn't get his computer to
      fax anything. After 40 minutes of trouble-shooting, the technician
      discovered the man was trying to fax a piece of paper by holding it in
      front of the monitor screen and hitting the "send" key.

      7. Yet another Dell customer called to complain that his keyboard no
      longer worked. He had cleaned it by filling up his tub with soap and
      water and soaking board for a day, then removing all the keys and
      washing them individually.

      8. A Dell technician received a call from a customer who was enraged
      because his computer had told him he was "bad and an invalid". The
      tech explained that the computer's "bad command" and "invalid"

      9. A confused caller to IBM was having troubles printing documents. He
      told the technician that the computer had said it "couldn't find
      printer". The user had also tried turning the computer screen to face
      the printer - but that his computer still couldn't "see" the printer.

      10. An exasperated caller to Dell Computer Tech Support couldn't get
      her new Dell Computer to turn on. After ensuring the computer was
      plugged in, the technician asked her what happened when she pushed the
      power button. Her response, "I pushed and pushed on this foot pedal
      and nothing happens." The "foot pedal" turned out to be the computer's
      mouse.

      11. Another customer called Compaq tech support to say her brand-new
      computer wouldn't work. She said she unpacked the unit, plugged it in
      and sat there for 20 minutes waiting for something to happen. When
      asked what happened when she pressed the power switch, she asked "What
      power switch?"

      12. True story from a Novell NetWire SysOp:

      Caller: "Hello, is this Tech Support?"

      Tech: "Yes, it is. How may I help you?"

      Caller: "The cup holder on my PC is broken and I am within my warranty

      period. How do I go about getting that fixed?"

      Tech: "I'm sorry, but did you say a cup holder?"

      Caller: "Yes, it's attached to the front of my computer."

      Tech: "Please excuse me if I seem a bit stumped, It's because I am.
      Did you receive this as part of a promotional, at a trade show? How
      did you get this cup holder? Does it have any trademark on it?"

      Caller: "It came with my computer, I don't know anything about a
      promotional. It just has '4X' on it.

      At this point the Tech Rep had to mute the caller, because he couldn't
      stand it. He was laughing too hard. The caller had been using the
      load drawer of the CD-ROM drive as a cup holder, and snapped it off
      the drive!

      13. Another IBM customer had troubles installing software and rang for
      support. "I put in the first disk, and that was OK. It said to put in
      the second disk, and had some problems with the disk. When it said to
      put in the third disk - I couldn't even fit it in..." The user hadn't
      realized that "Insert Disk 2" meant to remove Disk 1 first.

      14. In a similar incident, a customer had followed the instructions
      for installing software. The instructions said to remove the disk from
      it's cover and insert into the drive. The user had physically removed
      the casing of the disk and wondered why there were problems.

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/packet-switching