Newcomer to A Cappella

  • hannahfresca
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 12, 2010
      Good Friday Morning -

      I am looking for any advice and direction on getting involved in a cappella locally (Seattle area); mixed or female-only. I feel like I missed the boat in college and haven't found another come into port. I have been singing all my life (trained in jazz, classical, musical theater) but never in the mechanics a cappella and harmony.

      I have been classified variously as a soprano, soprano 2 or upper first alto. I am dying to get out there to sing again- and a cappella seems like the right thing for me.

      Love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

      Thanks,
      Hannah
    • daviesmom1
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 13, 2010
        Hi Hannah,

        I e-mailed you privately but will post here as well in case anyone else is interested.

        I heartily encourage you to visit my incredibly fun, high-energy women's chorus, A Cappella Joy, or AJoy. I just joined in August after my jazz quartet broke up, and I have been having a blast ever since.

        AJoy is a competitive women's barbershop chorus with about 35 members, part of Sweet Adelines International. We are currently the First Place medalists, Small Chorus Division, in our region, which includes Washington, Alaska, and parts of Idaho and Montana.

        The director, Nikki Blackmer, is the most talented and exciting director I have ever worked with. She is smart, ambitious, kind, and totally hilarious. You do not need a lot of a cappella experience to sing with AJoy. If you can carry a tune, you can sing with us. But Nikki will teach you an enormous amount in a short period of time.

        At the moment we are having a membership drive, which means that anyone can attend rehearsals from now through the Christmas concert without having to audition or pay membership dues, and they have the option of performing with us (for as many of the songs as they can learn in time) in the Christmas show on December 11th. After the show, they can decide whether they want to formally audition for membership.

        Rehearsals are every Monday night from 7:00 to 9:30 at Lake Washington United Methodist Church, 7525 132nd Avenue NE, Kirkland. You can e-mail me if you would like to give it a try, or just show up. I get there at 6:00 for sectionals. On your first night, it is best to arrive early (any time after 6:00, but at least by 6:40) so you can get your part assignment.

        Here is our website: http://www.acappellajoy.org/

        Let me know if I can answer any questions. Love to see you there on Monday! :-)

        Elizabeth Davies
        daviesfam1@...