Re: [pacificnw-acappella] NW Harmony Sweeps

  • Tom Metzger
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 15, 2010
      Speaking for Realtime, it was a great event!  Gary Witley and the MCE did a wonderful job organizing it as always, and it was cool to hang out with the other competitors.  Great bunch of people.

      My only regret is that our third CD "Take 5" did not make it to the event.  We had a box shipped "hot off the presses" via UPS overnight service, but it never arrived.  :(

      You can however get it on our web site, and we'll be shipping it within a week.  URL is here if you are interested:

      We are looking forward to representing this region at the national finals.  We will do our best to bring home the trophy!

      On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 11:33 PM, JHumesPCN <humesjohn@...> wrote:

      Great show at NW Harmony Sweeps in Olympia, WA tonight! I've been to almost all of them in the past 25 years and from top to bottom this was one of the best.

      Realtime, a 4-member group from Vancouver, BC and Lynden, BC took top honors and will represent PNW at the nationals in San Rafael. They were super...whether it was a kick-ass version of "Rocky Top" or a marvelous interpretation of Dave Brubeck's Take 5.

      Westminster Chapel in Bellevue contributed two groups to the competition, an 8-member mixed ensemble called Crosspoint,who I thought had a couple of ladies who lead voices were superb. Add to that , the five men who make up six4one, whose gospel interpretations were full and inspiring and finished their set with the Star Spangled Banner.

      The Baudboys, the all-male group composed entirely of Microsoft employees, have won the PNW competition before and were tough competition again with their performance which mixes excellent vocals and gut-splitting comedy. They took the Audience Favorite award and for their encore performed on of my favorites from them, a boy-band type ode where the lead is telling his girlfriend that "tonight's the night", oh....after he finishes his computer game.... The Baudboys came in second for the evening.

      Aside from last year's winner Rezonate, which hosted the show this year, there were several other Oregon groups--The V-Chords provided their usual flair, and Strangers in Harmony, who performed my favorite original for the evening, I think called "Memories a Minefield"

      The five women of Absolute also provided a strong st including "got to Get You into My Life."

      The group I found most refreshing for the evening was The Shadywood Boys out of Victoria, BC. Singing old-time Southern Gospel, they kept it very 30's retro--singing around a single microphone reminicent of Flatt & Scruggs, and other groups of that era. I loved it. My personal favorite.

      Realtime will be a great representative of the PNW in San Rafael in May. I wouldn't be surprised to see them bring home the prize.

      Tom Metzger (tom@...)
      Husband of Kari, Father of Ry and Ty
         Bass, Realtime a cappella quartet  ->  http://www.realtimequartet.com
             Blogging about performance -> http://www.owningthestage.com

      http://www.groupanizer.com - web applications for running groups
      "It's often not enough for one to simply be exposed to the truth, because the brain will actually fight to defend its attachment to cherished falsehoods."