Announcing 2010 PNW Harmony Sweepstakes competing groups

  • g_witley
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2010
      Hello A Cappella Fans!

      I am very excited to announce an amazing line-up for the PNW Harmony Sweepstakes A Cappella Festival being held in Olympia, Washington on Saturday, March 13, 2010. We had a super turnout with twelve groups applying to compete.

      Here (in alphabetical order) is the strongest line-up we have had in recent memory...

      Absolute (Corvallis, Oregon)
      The five women of Absolute believe in music with a message. In performance they blend tight vocal harmonies reminiscent of the group Sweet Honey in the Rock. Their music ranges from South African freedom songs to contemporary folk music, from doo-wop to choral arrangements, as well as some original pieces. Their performances take you from the familiar and silly to the poignant and soulful.

      <http://www.baudboys.com/>The Baudboys (Redmond, Washington)
      The Baudboys are an award-winning, all-male a cappella group composed entirely of Microsoft employees. Risking the wrath of fellow employees by rehearsing in on-campus conference rooms, The Baudboys sing a variety of popular and original music. The Baudboys were the PNW Champions in 2008.

      <http://www.westminster.org/connect/creative-arts/crosspoint/>Crosspoint (Bellevue, Washington)
      Crosspoint is a vocal ensemble made up of church members of Westminster Chapel in Bellevue, WA. They are a diverse group of people but they are unified in the vision of providing a musical experience that brings hope and encouragement. Crosspoint sings intricate yet fun jazz and gospel arrangements of church music.

      <http://www.realtimequartet.com/index.php>Realtime (Vancouver, BC)
      Realtime is a four-part a cappella group from Vancouver, BC and Lynden, WA, that has been singing their music all over the world since 2003. The group includes brothers Mark Metzger and Tom Metzger on baritone and bass, and father-and-son Doug Broersma and Tim Broersma on lead and tenor. They have previously won the Northwest Sweeps, as well as the world championship of barbershop harmony in 2005. They have recorded three award-winning CD's, Four Brothers in 2004, Ain't That A Kick in 2006, and Take 5 in 2009.

      Shadywood Boys (Victoria, BC)
      The Shadywood Boys are four guys who get together to sing. We like grazing freely through the pasture of quartet styles: a little Jubilee Quartet here, a little Doo-Wop there, maybe a bit of Barbershop. Sometimes we wander into the back forty and browse 19th century styles such as Antebellum Spirituals or even some Shape-Note Singing. But there is one patch of grass we keep coming back to. In the South Eastern United States during the 1930's and 40s, there developed a style of singing that would later become known as Southern Gospel. It's retro-phonic, and we like it.

      <http://www.westminster.org/connect/creative-arts/six4one-vocal-band/>Six4One (Bellevue, Washington)
      Six4One Vocal Band is a group of five men from Westminster Chapel in Bellevue, Washington, who love to sing and are highly committed to the choral music program. Their underlying purpose is to joyfully express their faith in God through music by blending a variety of worship songs, hymns, gospel, a cappella and contemporary musical styles.

      <http://www.strangersinharmony.com/>Strangers in Harmony (Portland, Oregon)
      Strangers in Harmony is a quintet formed in 2009 when Eric Chung and Mike Mendyke, newcomers to the Portland area, threw together a group to compete in last year's PNW Harmony Sweepstakes. They were as surprised as anyone when the group tied for second place their first time out! The Strangers had so much fun they decided to come back for more. With a solid mix of original songs and classic crowd-leasing covers, Strangers in Harmony is sure to entertain.

      <http://www.vchords.com/>V-Chords (Greshman, Oregon)
      V-Chords is an a cappella vocal band made up of six talented performers performing
      a wide variety of pop, rock, jazz, gospel and country accompanied by live vocal percussion. Each member has significant performing experience and contributes to the combined flare and flavor for which V-Chords has become known. In 2007, V-Chords was proud to represent the Pacific Northwest Region at the National Harmony Sweepstakes Competition in San Rafael, CA.

      It's going to be a fantastic show! Be sure to mark it on your calendar now so you don't miss it: Saturday, March 13, 2010 at the Washington Center for the Performing Arts, in Olympia, Washington, the 2010 Harmony Sweepstakes A Cappella Festival with our special hosts, Rezonate (2009 champs!).

      Gary Witley
      PNW Harmony Sweepstakes A Cappella Festival

      If you can walk, you can dance.
      If you can talk, you can sing.
      - a Zimbabwe saying