New a cappella vocal band forming in Portland!

  • Eric Chung
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2008
      New a cappella vocal band forming in Portland!

      We are two long-time a cappella vets from various groups across the
      country:

      --Eric Chung, tenor/VP, award-winning a cappella songwriter and
      prolific arranger who founded the well-known Boston vocal band
      Downtown Crossing and directed the NY Sweeps runner-up Stay Tuned
      --Mike Mendyke, former bass from the renowned Boston-based band Five
      O'Clock Shadow, and current bass for Dick Van Dyke and the Vantastix

      We are looking to form a five- or six-person vocal band with focus on
      high-energy covers (primarily from the late 90's), a few originals by
      Eric, and new originals written improv-style by the group. We are
      seeking a (1) baritone/tenor/VP plus (2) 2-3 women of any part, with
      the usual features: great ear, knack for blend and harmony, sight
      reading, good-nature, ability to improvise/jam a little, and a wicked
      sense of humor. Even better if you can arrange and/or write music,
      as well as have some prior a cappella experience of some kind.
      Rehearsals will be once a week, on Sunday nights, and primarily at
      Eric's lovely home in NE Portland on Sunday nights.

      First round auditions will be held in the afternoons the weekend of
      Nov 15-16 and in the afternoon on Saturday, November 22 in NE
      Portland, with a group second round the in the afternoon of Sunday,
      November 23. For the first round, we'll have you come for half an
      hour singing the verse and chorus of a song of your choice plus doing
      some jamming with us.

      Interested? Hope so! Please email eric_chung@... with a brief
      description of your background to schedule an audition. Thanks!