Washington A Cappella Update, January 2001, Part Two

  • Tom Cooper
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2001
      Hello, a cappella fans!  A few quick updates since my last message:

      1)  Due to a mail snafu, the invitations for groups to compete in the Northwest Harmony Sweepstakes went out a week late.  Accordingly, they are extending the deadline to enter by one week.  You now have until next Friday (Feb 2, 2001) to send in an audition packet.  So you're not too late!  See Gary Witley's email below for details.

      2)  m-pact's show at the Kent-Meridian Performing Arts Center on February 9th isn't just m-pact!  They've got three great opening acts, so it'll be a fun night of a cappella.  The full lineup is Curfew (four young women, ages 12 to 16), Believe (5 students from Kentwood High), Kryptonite (5 men, recently seen performing at the Washington A Cappella Showcase), and the always fantastic m-pact.  Should be a great show, and it's only $12 a ticket.  See http://www.ci.kent.wa.us/culturalprograms/februaryspotlight.htm.  Send me mail if you need directions on how to get there.

      3)  The next Open Harmony, our all a cappella open mic, is next Sunday, February 4th, from 1pm to about 3pm, in Bellevue.  Groups that have told us they'll be coming are the Baudboys, Kryptonite, and the Singing Valentines troupe from Microsoft.  Come on out and join the fun!  http://www.openharmony.org.

      ----------------------------

      Here's the full message about the call for groups to compete in the Harmony Sweepstakes.
      Masterworks Choral Ensemble will once again host the Harmony
      Sweepstakes A Cappella Festival for the Northwest Region. It is
      scheduled for Saturday, March 17, 2001, and will again be held at the
      Washington Center for the Performing Arts in Olympia, Washington, at 8:00pm.

      The winners of our regional contest (as well as other regional contests)
      receive round trip airfare to the national finals on May 5, 2001, in San
      Rafael, California, as well as two nights accommodations and a set
      of Shure microphones. National champions win $2000.

      If your a cappella group (groups must have from 3 to 7 people) is
      interested in participating in this competition, please send us your
      audition packet as soon as possible. Your packet should contain all
      of the following:

      1. An audition CD or cassette tape. If you send a full-length CD, please
      be sure to indicate the cuts that you want used for the audition process.

      2. A short bio about your group and each individual in it. These will
      be used in the program if your group is selected to compete.

      3. A black and white photo of your current group. 8 x 10 is the
      preferred size. The photo will be used in the program and lobby
      displays.

      4. $10 per person in your group. This application fee will be
      forwarded to the national Primarily A Cappella organization to help
      defray costs at the national level. Checks should be made payable to
      MCE or Masterworks Choral Ensemble.

      We regret that no materials, including the application fee, can be
      returned if you are not selected for the Northwest Regional
      Competition.  We anticipate making our selection by the first week in
      February and you will be notified as quickly as possible.

      If you have questions, need additional information or wish to have
      materials sent to additional groups, please feel free to call me at
      360-236-0301 or e-mail me at: gwitley@.... You can also
      contact the chair of this event: Ron Armstrong at: 360-943-9643 or
      via e-mail at: ron@.... Please mail all materials
      directly to: Masterworks Choral ensemble, PO Box 1091, Olympia, WA
      98507. You can also visit the Harmony Sweepstakes web site for more
      information about this national contest. The site is:
      http://www.harmony-sweepstakes.com/##2001

      If you have already received this information in our special mailing
      (via snail mail), please pass this along to other groups that might
      be interested in competing in this event.

      We look forward to a very exciting event. Thank you for your interest
      in the Northwest Regional Harmony Sweepstakes A Cappella Festival.

      Gary Witley
      Business Manager

      (sponsored by Masterworks Choral Ensemble and Primarily A Cappella)

      See you on stage!
      Tom Cooper
      CASA Ambassador for Washington State