"Summer Sings" in Seattle

  • A Cappella News
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 19, 2007
      For the 28th year, any Seattle singer of whatever caliber can join in
      the Summer Sings, hosted by the Seattle Symphony Chorale.

      For five consecutive Tuesday evenings at the Swedish Cultural Center,
      for a nominal sum, you can join with your fellows to sing through one
      of several big choral works, each session conducted by an area choral
      conductor.

      Next Tuesday, the second Summer Sing, it's Dvorak's "Stabat Mater,"
      conducted by Anthony Spain, music director of the Northwest Symphony
      Orchestra and the Bainbridge Chorale. (Spain and the Northwest
      Symphony have just won their seventh ASCAP award, first place in their
      category of orchestras with an annual budget under $470,000.)

      Succeeding sessions will enjoy the Verdi "Requiem," July 31 under Paul
      Schultz of the Northwest Repertory Singers; Haydn's "Lord Nelson"
      Mass, Aug. 7 with Jerry Yonkman of the University of Puget Sound; and
      Mendelssohn's "Elijah," Aug. 14 with James Savage of St. James Cathedral.

      "It's a lot of fun," says Spain. "One of the best parts is for singers
      to sing stuff new to them. With the Dvorak, they get to enjoy a
      terrific piece which is making a comeback."

      Choruses, he says, are always on the lookout for works beyond the
      standards, and this year's offerings are deliberately a little outside
      the norm, though none so unfamiliar they would be difficult to read.

      "We performed the 'Stabat Mater' 18 months ago, and the orchestra and
      chorus were just blown away," he says.

      He feels it's a great challenge to conduct these performances. "We
      have to be conductors at our best, to see how much we can accomplish
      in one session, try to get inside the work on some level, be convinced
      by it. The a cappella parts in the last 'Stabat Mater' chorus are
      riveting."

      Summer Sings on Tuesdays at 7 p.m. through Aug. 14 at the Swedish
      Cultural Center, 1920 Dexter Ave N. $10 at the door. Bring your own
      score if you have one. Information: 206-215-4728