Re: [pacificnorthwest-acappella] TAKE US OFF YOUR E-mail LIST IMMEDIATELY!!!

  • Don Gooding
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 25, 2003
      At 08:58 PM 6/24/2003 -0400, Peanutjazz@... wrote:
      >We just received a very rude e-mail from someone using your list. The e-mail
      >address the inappropriate message was from "coolhandsarah5@..."
      >
      >Please take us OFF of your pacific-northwest-acappella e-mail list
      >immediately!

      You need to take yourself off if you really want to go:

      The only one besides yourself to remove you is John Neal,
      harmony@.... You can try sending him an email directly - he's the
      owner of this list. And John, for goodness sakes, take that coolhand user
      off the list - you can do that, you know.

      >Peanutjazz@...

      Don Gooding
      Mainely A CAPPELLA http://www.a-cappella.com
      don@... P.O. Box 159/11 Seal Cove Rd.
      800-827-2936 Southwest Harbor, ME 04679
      207-244-7603 (overseas calls) 207-244-7613 (fax)
      WEB STORE: http://mac3.a-cappella.com/shop
      Now with more than 20,000 sound files!
      1800+ CDs ... 1,000+ arrangements...
      plus hundreds of videos, accessories,
      and instructional products
    • Daniel James
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 25, 2003
        Don Gooding <don@a...> wrote:

        > And John, for goodness sakes, take that coolhand user
        > off the list - you can do that, you know.

        There will just be another 'memeber' along to spam. I'm on two
        other Yahoo groups and I get uh, provocative messages from those
        nearly every day.

        Anyone who is sensitive to these sorts of messages should probably
        stop using the Internet -- On an average day, three 'enlargement'
        messages get through my spam filter. :)
      • Don Gooding
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 25, 2003
          OK, but let me tell you how John Neal can fix this problem for good:

          1) go to groups.yahoo.com
          2) click on this group
          3) bottom left, click on management
          4) right side under group settings click membership
          5) click edit
          6) choose the radio button "Restricted (you approve all requests for
          membership)"
          7) save changes

          after this, any SPAMer trying to get on the list will need to tell John
          Neal, as owner of this list, their interest in a cappella. SPAMers don't
          reply, so they never get added to the list. this has worked for the 5
          egroups that I "own."

          So don't let this list be hijacked by SPAMers! Or I'll start a similar
          list with anti-SPAMer protection.

        • mctandd@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 25, 2003
            I also received a disgusting e-mail that referred to pornography.  Please remove me from this list.  When you have re-established your account, let me know.  Thank you.

            McTandD@...
          • Caitlin Upshaw
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 25, 2003

              Please remove me from your list.  Thank you.

              >From: mctandd@...
              >To: pacificnorthwest-acappella@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [pacificnorthwest-acappella] TAKE US OFF YOUR E-mail LIST IMMEDIATELY!!!
              >Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 16:46:39 EDT
              >
              >I also received a disgusting e-mail that referred to pornography. Please
              >remove me from this list. When you have re-established your account, let me
              >know. Thank you.
              >
              >McTandD@...

            • Tom Cooper
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 25, 2003
                Calm down, everybody!  :)  To clear up some apparent confusion:  This isn't a "list".  It is a "group".  Any member of this group can send mail to everyone in the group, without having to know everyone's individual email address.

                The problem is that this is an unrestricted group, so any anyone can join the group and send us all email.  In an ideal world, this would be a good thing, but unfortunately there are a few abnormal people in the world who want to spoil things for everyone.

                If you are still in the Pacific Northwest a cappella community, please don't rush to leave this yahoo-group.  It actually can be a wonderful resource for all of us, and I'd hate to see it dissolve just because of a couple perverts in search of a fast buck.  If John can turn it into a restricted group as Don suggests, we can keep our valuable resource without the pornographic side effects.  :)

                Please remove me from your list.  Thank you.

                >From: mctandd@...
                >To: pacificnorthwest-acappella@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [pacificnorthwest-acappella] TAKE US OFF YOUR E-mail LIST IMMEDIATELY!!!
                >Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 16:46:39 EDT
                >
                >I also received a disgusting e-mail that referred to pornography. Please
                >remove me from this list. When you have re-established your account, let me
                >know. Thank you.
                >
                >McTandD@...

              • Don Gooding
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 26, 2003
                  At 07:55 PM 6/25/2003 -0700, Tom Cooper wrote:
                   If John can turn it into a restricted group as Don suggests, we can keep our valuable resource without the pornographic side effects.  :)

                  If anyone know John's and my history, you'll know I may not be able to influence him here.  ;-)

                  So I'd suggest:

                  1) emailing him personally at harmony@...

                  2) calling him on his personal toll free number that forwards to England, where he's spending most of his time these days (at least that's what he told me in February of this year):

                  866-614-3534

                  I'm sure that with a little prodding you can bring this to the top of his "to do" list.