Key dates for this winter walks season

  • Tim Erickson
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2012
      HI all

      As most clubs are probably starting to plan their winter seasons, a quick hands up on the key dates

      1. LBG Carnival, Canberra, Sunday 10 June.

      2. Aust Masters 20km Championships, Middle Park, Melbourne, Sunday 24 June

      3. Racewalking Australia Postal Challenge, each club in their own State, weekend of 14-15 July.  As per previous years, we allow clubs to stage this event either the week before, this weekend or the week after, depending on what date fits best with their own State fixture.

      4. Australian Roadwalking Championships, Adelaide, Sunday 26 August.
      A.A. has advised that this is the likely date and that we should factor it in. However, they have not completely confirmed it yet. We are going with that date for our VRWC calendar and recommend you do the same.

      5. Racewalking Australia 50km Championship for women, Middle Park, Melbourne, Sunday 9 September.
      This is a relatively new initiative to promote long distance walking for our women. It was held for the first time in 2011 and VRWC is hosting it once again in 2012 on the same fixture as our Victorian 50km championship for men.

      Our VRWC calendar should be up on our website in the next few days and it will reflect these dates and fixtures.

      Kind regards

      Tim

      --
      Tim Erickson
      0412 257 496

    • Dave Smith
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2012

        Good evening Tim ,

        I have just checked out the timetable ( draft )for the Open Track Titles and there is NO 5klm Track walk listed . Can you confirm that this information is correct ? Or has it been a typo?

        There seems to be a lot of misinformation regarding the reinstatement of this race .. Even Jill is not aware of it and she has checked that there are no officials ( judges ) booked for those dates

        Dave

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 3, 2012
          Dave

          We had reached agreement with AA to reinstate the 5000m track walk but this was not passed by the appropriate technical ares by the AA Competition Dept at the time (an oversight). I have been liasing with Andrew Matthews, the new AA Competition Manager. His latest email to me reads as follows:

          Dear Tim,
          Thanks for the email and sorry for the delay in my reply.
          There will definitely be a 5000 walk in the nationals….just a question of what status it has. It appears Dave (Gynther) was a little hasty to say it could be a national Championships as that constitutionally needs to be approved through a committee.
          We are working through that at the moment and the timetable will be updated in due course.
          Thanks and sorry again for the delay.
          Andrew Matthews | Competitions Manager |Athletics Australia

          So it remains a work in progress but I am very hopeful. Obviously we have been asking a lot of AA recently and they have been delivering. Let's keep our fingers crossed on this one.

          Tim

          Tim Erickson
          0412 257 496
          terick@...

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 24, 2012
            Thanks Tim,

            Do we have a date for the State Challenge?

            Thanks

            Renée

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 24, 2012
              HI Renee

              Yes, that is race number 3 in the list. I probably threw you by calling it a Postal Challenge.

              Kind regards

              Tim

              Tim Erickson
              0412 257 496