Re: [ozgeo] To be taxed on size of lot, not value?

  • Gavin R. Putland
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 20, 2012
      On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Bryan Kavanagh <bryan@...> wrote:

      > http://www.canberratimes.com.au/national/letters/proposed-changes-to-land-tax-system-done-by-stealth-20120420-1xcv9.html

      From the second letter (which refers to an earlier one by Ed DoBson,
      which I can't find), I infer that someone has garbled the Henry
      proposal to express the land tax thresholds on a per-unit-area basis,
      and then use the same scales for local rates.

      In any case, a tax on land area itself is so obviously uncollectable
      that we don't have to worry about it.

      --- Gav.
    • David Brooks
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 20, 2012
        Gavin,
                I love your optimism!  But they are just stupid enough to try. And hang the results.  "...we are having a learning experience"

        David Brooks

        On 21-Apr-12 1:37 PM, Gavin R. Putland wrote:

        On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Bryan Kavanagh <bryan@...> wrote:

        > http://www.canberratimes.com.au/national/letters/proposed-changes-to-land-tax-system-done-by-stealth-20120420-1xcv9.html

        >From the second letter (which refers to an earlier one by Ed DoBson,
        which I can't find), I infer that someone has garbled the Henry
        proposal to express the land tax thresholds on a per-unit-area basis,
        and then use the same scales for local rates.

        In any case, a tax on land area itself is so obviously uncollectable
        that we don't have to worry about it.

        --- Gav.

      • David Spain
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 22, 2012

          Does anyone know, where did ECB get over 1tr. euros to fund its recent LTRO loans? Was this straight Quantitative Easing (money-printing) or did it use reserves or raise funds as loans or contributions eg from Germany?

          Regards,

          David Spain.

        • Bryan Kavanagh
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 22, 2012

            Some discussion of the point in Ireland, David. http://www.politics.ie/forum/europe/185412-where-does-european-bailout-fund-get-money.html

            -          BK

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 22, 2012
              On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 10:02 AM, David Spain <dspain@...> wrote:

              > Does anyone know, where did ECB get over 1tr. euros to fund its recent
              > LTRO loans? Was this straight Quantitative Easing...

              A large chunk of it apparently was, except that the ECB intends to
              reverse the process when the national central banks repay the loans
              (yeah, right):

              http://www.financialsense.com/contributors/chris-marchese/2011/12/22/ecb-ltro-consequences-qe-in-disguise
              http://www.riskelia.com/blog/2012/01/how-do-you-spell-quantitative-easing-in-german-%C2%AB-ltro-%C2%BB/
              http://www.zerohedge.com/contributed/ltro-users-manual