Re: [oxymoronsfibrechallenge] Fwd: C&T Publishing Blog silk cocoons

  • Linda K. Bennett
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2012
      Hi Fran,
      Glad to hear Jon's surgery is going well.  How did your trip to Phoenix go?

      Sent from my iPad

      On Sep 30, 2012, at 9:50 AM, Fran Jenkins <franjenkins@...> wrote:

      Hi all
      Sitting here in Jon's hospital room n playing with iPhone. Don't have Jeanine's email but decided all might be interested in these photos of silk cocoons n rovings.
      Jon is doing well after his surgery. Time will tell. His back is a mess which we knew.

      Sent from my iPhone

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: "C&T Publishing Blog" <ctinfo@...>
      Date: September 28, 2012, 3:47:36 AM PDT
      To: franjenkins@...
      Subject: C&T Publishing Blog

      C&T Publishing Blog

      C&T Publishing Blog

      What are those mysterious fibers?

       If you’ve taken a peek at our Artful Fiber, you might have noticed some funny-looking oval-shaped mysterious thingies and wondered  ”What are they?” and “What does one do with them?”

      cocoons in artful fiber

      Wonder no more! They’re silk cocoons! Those with children might already be familiar with them.  Not because your little ones came from a cocoon, but they may have viewed silkworms life cycles in preschool or kindergarten.  It truly is fascinating, although I’ve noticed from our experiment raising some here in the office that not everyone can stomach those wiggly worms of wonder.  You’re either okay with critters or you’re not.

      So, here’s their life cycle in a nutshell.

      First, you have the eggs that have been maturing for months in a chilly environment (otherwise known as the back of your refrigerator).

      silkworm eggs

      silkworm eggs

      When brought to room temperature in the spring, these tiny, tiny, tiny little baby silkworms hatch—you might need a magnifying glass to see them—and start hunting for their favorite food, mulberry leaves.

      baby silkworm

      baby silkworm

      Not only is it their favorite food, it also happens to be the only food they’ll eat, so it’s probably not a good idea to adopt these little guys if you’ve no access to a mulberry tree.

      Adolescence silkworms

      They munch and munch away as they grow into plump worms.  This is usually where the squeamish need to

      Cocoons Begin

      Time to spin cocoons! Egg cartons make for nice little compartments.

      Cocoons Closeup

      Soon enough, all are tucked away in their pretty little cocoons.

      Metamorphosis occurs and…

      Moth

      Silk moths emerge from their eggs! Next stop—find a mate, lay eggs, and die. Eggs are gathered and tucked away until next spring, and the cycle is complete.

      So what might one do with silk cocoons?  Here are some inspirational examples…

      detail of a Rebeka Meier project

      detail of a Rebeka Meier project

      detail of a Linda Johansen project

      detail of a Linda Johansen project

      necklace by Stacey Merrill

      necklace by Stacey Merrill

      detail of a Terri Lipman project

      detail of a Terri Lipman project

      used in embellishment

      used in embellishment

      knitting with cocoons

      knitting with cocoons

       Silk rods are another item found in the Artful Fiber kit.  These are made from small pieces of silk that have been laid over a rod to dry creating a rod-like shape.  Here are some interesting ways we’ve seen them used.

      by Rebekah Meier

      by Rebekah Meier

      detail of Terri Lipman project

      detail of Terri Lipman project

      center of flower by Kathie Briggs

      center of flower by Kathie Briggs

      The Artful Fiber Bag has a large array of fibers and surfaces neatly tucked in an embellishable bag—how cool is that?  Check them out and let us know what you create!

      Artful Fiber fibers and surfaces

      Artful Fiber fibers and surfaces

      Related posts:

      1. Artful Fiber: in awe of possibilities…plus giveaway!
      2. Silk & Fiber Evening Purse project
      3. C&T Group Quilt, Continued

      You are subscribed to email updates from C&T Publishing Blog
      To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now.
      Email delivery powered by Google