Re: Enigma 21: Push? Pull! With what?

  • Ann Burgess
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2004
      Thanks, Jeff.
      I have managed at last to solve this puzzle a few days ago, but what worked seems
      entirely illogical. Because it is impossible to see what is going on in the left hand
      screen, there is no way of knowing how it works. I have always managed to assemble
      the pipe pieces with no problem. I had forgotten that joined pieces could be moved
      as one; I did think that the two end pieces had to be in place before you could do
      that. In actual fact it is only to blow them up with the magic wand that the pipe has to
      be complete, not just to move it around.

      What I am puzzled about is that the pipe piece in the wall can be pushed away,
      making me think that there must be a space between it and the rest of the pipe that
      extends across the gap on the left screen. However, if I push the assembled three
      pieces into the piece that is already there in the middle of the wall, but only as far as
      is possible while still retaining a space behind which you can push to pull the pieces
      out (arghh, so complex in words!), the whole pipe comes out.

      While writing this the answer has come to me! Of course, I am still assuming the
      pieces only move singly before the whole pipe is joined! So the whole pipe moves
      along if you shove the piece that is visible in the wall - there is no gap behind it! Ooh,
      this is so good for my aging brain!!!
      Thanks anyway,

      Ann

      PS. Andrew, I'm using Mac OS X, too. The solution lies in not pushing the piece
      already in the wall any further in. Leave it where it is so that when you add the extra
      pieces there is a gap between them and the wall - so that you can get in and push to
      the right, which pulls the whole lot out.
      Ann

    • jmiller62
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2004
        No problem Ann, I'm glad to hear that you figured it out.

        Jeff