Oxyd book value today?

  • fred
    Message 1 of 8 , May 23, 2013
      Good day all,

      Having recently discovering my Oxyd book in a dusty corner, I also
      discovered Enigma and this forum. I've been able to make Oxyd work in
      DOSbox but have not yet progressed to the point where I can tell if the
      version I have is patched for busting the blocks, without the secret
      codes. Eventually time will permit me to play up to that level. I'm
      enjoying Enigma a bit too much to drop back, at present.

      Should I discover that my version is already patched, I won't need the
      Oxyd book. This raises the question about the value of the book.

      Every search I've performed indicates that there aren't any copies "out
      there" but that does not provide a good indication of what this
      collection of pages represent in monetary form.

      Any ideas?
    • Susie Lee
      Message 2 of 8 , May 24, 2013
        I also have the Oxyd Book -
        1st Edition (10,000) September 1992
        ISBN 3-928278-12-6 (American Edition)

        Also still have my Oxyd Magnum users guide.

        AND, I also still have my floppy disks  for Oxyd and Oxyd Magnum.  I think I was one of the first to purchase Oxyd.

        Susie

      • jmiller62
        Message 3 of 8 , May 24, 2013
          Hi Fred,

          Welcome to the Oxyd group. Oxyd version 3c is available in the PC files section, as well as the "Oxyd patch" which can be used to patch the Oxyd games. I uploaded a game patched version of Oxyd 3c a few minutes ago that will make the Magic Tokens disappear by pressing any key (without using the Oxyd patch).

          I have an American edition and an English edition of the Oxyd book that I would be willing to sell. But with the code/game patch and the Oxyd book (without the codes) available for download in the files section, the only advantage to having the book would be to have a "legal" copy.

          Jeff

          --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, "fred" <fred_dot_u@...> wrote:

          > Good day all,
          >
          > Having recently discovering my Oxyd book in a dusty corner, I also
          > discovered Enigma and this forum. I've been able to make Oxyd work in
          > DOSbox but have not yet progressed to the point where I can tell if the
          > version I have is patched for busting the blocks, without the secret
          > codes. Eventually time will permit me to play up to that level. I'm
          > enjoying Enigma a bit too much to drop back, at present.
          >
          > Should I discover that my version is already patched, I won't need the
          > Oxyd book. This raises the question about the value of the book.
          >
          > Every search I've performed indicates that there aren't any copies "out
          > there" but that does not provide a good indication of what this
          > collection of pages represent in monetary form.
          >
          > Any ideas?

        • edward65536
          Message 4 of 8 , May 25, 2013
            That's interesting. I've been playing the 3.9 version all this time, because I imagined it newer. Now you come and patch the 3c. Oh well, I've completed it... Actually I have the codes so I've just solved those puzzles I could solve. Still a fun game.

            I still have my Oxyd Magnum book and no thoughts of selling it just because I love having a hard copy, and I like the cover. One of my inspirations as to why I decided to recreate the landscapes as 3D images.

            And welcome, btw. :)

            /Edward

            Message 5 of 8 , May 25, 2013
              I believe v3.9 is for Mac, and it was patched due to the "Oxyd Patch" not being compatible with Mac.

              Jeff

              Message 6 of 8 , May 25, 2013
                Thanks for the heads-up on the files section. I've collected a few and
                hope to have enough time to try some out. I'll probably just keep the
                Oxyd book as a memento, since it's small and a good reminder of the
                early days of quality games.

                --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, "jmiller62" wrote:

                > Hi Fred,
                >
                > Welcome to the Oxyd group. Oxyd version 3c is available in the PC
                files section, as well as the "Oxyd patch" which can be used to patch
                the Oxyd games. I uploaded a game patched version of Oxyd 3c a few
                minutes ago that will make the Magic Tokens disappear by pressing any
                key (without using the Oxyd patch).

                > I have an American edition and an English edition of the Oxyd book
                that I would be willing to sell. But with the code/game patch and the
                Oxyd book (without the codes) available for download in the files
                section, the only advantage to having the book would be to have a
                "legal" copy.

                > Jeff

              • nmuzzletop
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 20, 2014

                  Hi Susie,

                  What do I need to do to entice you to copy your OXYD book and send me the copies ?, I guess a lot more than please with sugar and cream on top !

                  Hoping you will get back to me.

                  I only just recently got hold of a program (DosBox) that will allow me to play the game again even though it is a bit of a drama getting in everytime that I want to play the game

                  Lloyd

                • dongleware
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 21, 2014
                    Oxydbook and Per.Oxydbook is in the file section available, with codes.
                    Smutty Smurf