Enigma 1.20 released

  • itemfreeze
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 2, 2013
      Hi everyone,

      we are pleased to announce the release of Enigma 1.20
      for Windows and Linux, not yet 6 years since our last
      stable release. Enigma 1.20 comprises:

      - 305 new Enigma levels, 95 new Pentomino levels,
      and 1077 imported Sokoballs,
      - a new API, involving a reengineering of many objects,
      a consistent naming scheme for all objects, and a
      rewrite of almost every level,
      - a vast number of new objects, like wires, barriers,
      and yinyang-stones,
      - many improved images for higher resolutions,
      including new coins,
      - level music (go to options menu to activate it),
      - and many improvements and bug fixes.

      (Oh, and what might be of particular interest to
      some here: We removed "but over PAR".)

      You can find Enigma 1.20 for Windows and Linux in our
      download section:

      http://www.nongnu.org/enigma/download.html#stable

      Unfortunately, we cannot yet offer a version for OS X,
      this will be our next goal.

      Our thanks go to our team of developers and all our level
      authors, to Clifford Tasner for the new music, to Nobby
      and Thomas for their great levels, feedback, level organisation,
      the Enigma movies, and for always pressing us to finally
      release version 1.20. However, there would be rather a 1.02
      than a 1.20, wasn't it for the work of a single man, who,
      single-handedly, invented and realized the new API, the
      face of Enigma as it is today: Ronald Lamprecht's commitment
      to Enigma cannot be appreciated high enough. We hope to
      have him back soon, and, until then, that we can live up
      to his visions for this wonderful game.

      Have fun!

      Raoul and Andreas
    • Roy McCoy
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 2, 2013
        Raoul and Andreas wrote:

        > we are pleased to announce the release of Enigma 1.20
        > for Windows and Linux, not yet 6 years since our last
        > stable release.

        Congratulations and thanks.

        > Unfortunately, we cannot yet offer a version for OS X,
        > this will be our next goal.

        Wah. I don't suppose there are any major problems playing
        it in Linux running on a Mac though, right? (Not that I
        presently have Linux installed on mine, or would necessarily
        install it to play Enigma.)

        Roy
      • Wolfgang Peidelstein
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 2, 2013
          1.20 on Mac pleeeeease...

          Am 03.04.2013 um 00:29 schrieb Roy McCoy <roymccoy.nl@...>:

          > Raoul and Andreas wrote:
          >
          > > we are pleased to announce the release of Enigma 1.20
          > > for Windows and Linux, not yet 6 years since our last
          > > stable release.
          >
          > Congratulations and thanks.
          >
          > > Unfortunately, we cannot yet offer a version for OS X,
          > > this will be our next goal.
          >
          > Wah. I don't suppose there are any major problems playing
          > it in Linux running on a Mac though, right? (Not that I
          > presently have Linux installed on mine, or would necessarily
          > install it to play Enigma.)
          >
          > Roy

        • Wolfgang Peidelstein
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 2, 2013
            And will there ever be an Editor for OsX????

            Am 03.04.2013 um 00:29 schrieb Roy McCoy <roymccoy.nl@...>:

            > Raoul and Andreas wrote:
            >
            > > we are pleased to announce the release of Enigma 1.20
            > > for Windows and Linux, not yet 6 years since our last
            > > stable release.
            >
            > Congratulations and thanks.
            >
            > > Unfortunately, we cannot yet offer a version for OS X,
            > > this will be our next goal.
            >
            > Wah. I don't suppose there are any major problems playing
            > it in Linux running on a Mac though, right? (Not that I
            > presently have Linux installed on mine, or would necessarily
            > install it to play Enigma.)
            >
            > Roy

          • morfeh

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 4, 2013
                Hi to everyone,

                thanks for the new Enigma. I just want to try it out. But I#m using a Mac! So please make it possible to play this wunderful game on a Mac. I can't wait no longer!
                Thank you for doing that!

                Ron

                Happy gaming ;)

                Am 02.04.2013 um 23:12 schrieb itemfreeze:

                > Hi everyone,
                >
                > we are pleased to announce the release of Enigma 1.20
                > for Windows and Linux, not yet 6 years since our last
                > stable release. Enigma 1.20 comprises:
                >
                > - 305 new Enigma levels, 95 new Pentomino levels,
                > and 1077 imported Sokoballs,
                > - a new API, involving a reengineering of many objects,
                > a consistent naming scheme for all objects, and a
                > rewrite of almost every level,
                > - a vast number of new objects, like wires, barriers,
                > and yinyang-stones,
                > - many improved images for higher resolutions,
                > including new coins,
                > - level music (go to options menu to activate it),
                > - and many improvements and bug fixes.
                >
                > (Oh, and what might be of particular interest to
                > some here: We removed "but over PAR".)
                >
                > You can find Enigma 1.20 for Windows and Linux in our
                > download section:
                >
                > http://www.nongnu.org/enigma/download.html#stable
                >
                > Unfortunately, we cannot yet offer a version for OS X,
                > this will be our next goal.
                >
                > Our thanks go to our team of developers and all our level
                > authors, to Clifford Tasner for the new music, to Nobby
                > and Thomas for their great levels, feedback, level organisation,
                > the Enigma movies, and for always pressing us to finally
                > release version 1.20. However, there would be rather a 1.02
                > than a 1.20, wasn't it for the work of a single man, who,
                > single-handedly, invented and realized the new API, the
                > face of Enigma as it is today: Ronald Lamprecht's commitment
                > to Enigma cannot be appreciated high enough. We hope to
                > have him back soon, and, until then, that we can live up
                > to his visions for this wonderful game.
                >
                > Have fun!
                >
                > Raoul and Andreas

              • edward65536
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 4, 2013
                  Hey, looking nice. So many new items, such new code, though not sure about having batteries for lives. Wonder if one can set custom music for your landscape in the future (no music here, adventurous music for that, different music for each room).

                  /Edward

                  --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, "itemfreeze" <itemfreeze@...> wrote:

                  > Hi everyone,
                  >
                  > we are pleased to announce the release of Enigma 1.20
                  > for Windows and Linux, not yet 6 years since our last
                  > stable release. Enigma 1.20 comprises:
                  >
                  > - 305 new Enigma levels, 95 new Pentomino levels,
                  > and 1077 imported Sokoballs,
                  > - a new API, involving a reengineering of many objects,
                  > a consistent naming scheme for all objects, and a
                  > rewrite of almost every level,
                  > - a vast number of new objects, like wires, barriers,
                  > and yinyang-stones,
                  > - many improved images for higher resolutions,
                  > including new coins,
                  > - level music (go to options menu to activate it),
                  > - and many improvements and bug fixes.
                  >
                  > (Oh, and what might be of particular interest to
                  > some here: We removed "but over PAR".)
                  >
                  > You can find Enigma 1.20 for Windows and Linux in our
                  > download section:
                  >
                  > http://www.nongnu.org/enigma/download.html#stable
                  >
                  > Unfortunately, we cannot yet offer a version for OS X,
                  > this will be our next goal.
                  >
                  > Our thanks go to our team of developers and all our level
                  > authors, to Clifford Tasner for the new music, to Nobby
                  > and Thomas for their great levels, feedback, level organisation,
                  > the Enigma movies, and for always pressing us to finally
                  > release version 1.20. However, there would be rather a 1.02
                  > than a 1.20, wasn't it for the work of a single man, who,
                  > single-handedly, invented and realized the new API, the
                  > face of Enigma as it is today: Ronald Lamprecht's commitment
                  > to Enigma cannot be appreciated high enough. We hope to
                  > have him back soon, and, until then, that we can live up
                  > to his visions for this wonderful game.
                  >
                  > Have fun!
                  >
                  > Raoul and Andreas

                • Gaby
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 5, 2013
                    Hello,

                    is there a download link for Linux as well? I only saw one for the previous version.

                    Thanks,

                    Gaby

                  • amerling@yahoo.com

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 6, 2013
                        Hello Gaby,

                        yes, there is a download possibility for Linux. Look here:

                        http://www.nongnu.org/enigma/download.html#stable

                        Unfortunately at the moment you have to add (maybe) a lot of things to
                        your system to be able to compile Enigma 1.20. On my system (Linux Mint
                        12) I did not get Enigma to run. So I ended up installing it on a
                        Windows machine under Win7, and this works fine.

                        Good luck

                        Hajo

                      • amerling@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 6, 2013
                          Hello Hajo,

                          since I am a Linux user light so to speak :-), I doubt that I am able to compile anything, I just stick with Windows then ... thanks for answering,

                          Gaby

                          >________________________________

                        • Hajo Bäß
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 6, 2013
                            Hello Gaby,

                            for the time being this is the least complicated method. The developers
                            promised me that they will make Enigma available in the repositories
                            from May on. Then installation will be very easy with Synaptic. Let's
                            wait and see...

                            Have a nice weekend

                            Hajo

                            Am 06.04.2013 11:45, schrieb amerling@...:

                            > Hello Hajo,
                            >
                            > since I am a Linux user light so to speak :-), I doubt that I am able
                            > to compile anything, I just stick with Windows then ... thanks for
                            > answering,
                            >
                            > Gaby
                            >
                            > >________________________________

                          • itemfreeze
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 8, 2013
                              Hi,

                              @Roy:
                              I don't know if you can play Enigma under an
                              emulated Linux. If you have to compile it yourself
                              (which, right now, is the only way until the
                              packages are created), you will need an extensive
                              environment for compilation. I somehow doubt that
                              an emulated Linux can handle this.

                              @Wolfgang:
                              I'm not aware of a working editor for the new API
                              for any operating system. (We are not working on
                              this either.)

                              Best regards,
                              Andreas

                              --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, Wolfgang Peidelstein <peidelstein@...> wrote:

                              > And will there ever be an Editor for OsX????
                              >
                              > Am 03.04.2013 um 00:29 schrieb Roy McCoy <roymccoy.nl@...>:
                              >
                              > > Raoul and Andreas wrote:
                              > >
                              > > > we are pleased to announce the release of Enigma 1.20
                              > > > for Windows and Linux, not yet 6 years since our last
                              > > > stable release.
                              > >
                              > > Congratulations and thanks.
                              > >
                              > > > Unfortunately, we cannot yet offer a version for OS X,
                              > > > this will be our next goal.
                              > >
                              > > Wah. I don't suppose there are any major problems playing
                              > > it in Linux running on a Mac though, right? (Not that I
                              > > presently have Linux installed on mine, or would necessarily
                              > > install it to play Enigma.)
                              > >
                              > > Roy

                            • itemfreeze
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 8, 2013
                                Hi Edward,

                                we thought about it for a while, but as the
                                use of black pearls increases, I think it's
                                the right idea to display the extra lives
                                by another icon. We considered alternatives,
                                but batteries seemed to be the best.

                                Custom music was planned, but has very, very
                                low priority. Don't expect it, there are
                                many other, more important sites right now.

                                Best regards,
                                Andreas

                                --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, "edward65536" <edward.leuf@...> wrote:

                                > Hey, looking nice. So many new items, such new code, though not sure about having batteries for lives. Wonder if one can set custom music for your landscape in the future (no music here, adventurous music for that, different music for each room).
                                >
                                > /Edward
                                >
                                > --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, "itemfreeze" <itemfreeze@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Hi everyone,
                                > >
                                > > we are pleased to announce the release of Enigma 1.20
                                > > for Windows and Linux, not yet 6 years since our last
                                > > stable release. Enigma 1.20 comprises:
                                > >
                                > > - 305 new Enigma levels, 95 new Pentomino levels,
                                > > and 1077 imported Sokoballs,
                                > > - a new API, involving a reengineering of many objects,
                                > > a consistent naming scheme for all objects, and a
                                > > rewrite of almost every level,
                                > > - a vast number of new objects, like wires, barriers,
                                > > and yinyang-stones,
                                > > - many improved images for higher resolutions,
                                > > including new coins,
                                > > - level music (go to options menu to activate it),
                                > > - and many improvements and bug fixes.
                                > >
                                > > (Oh, and what might be of particular interest to
                                > > some here: We removed "but over PAR".)
                                > >
                                > > You can find Enigma 1.20 for Windows and Linux in our
                                > > download section:
                                > >
                                > > http://www.nongnu.org/enigma/download.html#stable
                                > >
                                > > Unfortunately, we cannot yet offer a version for OS X,
                                > > this will be our next goal.
                                > >
                                > > Our thanks go to our team of developers and all our level
                                > > authors, to Clifford Tasner for the new music, to Nobby
                                > > and Thomas for their great levels, feedback, level organisation,
                                > > the Enigma movies, and for always pressing us to finally
                                > > release version 1.20. However, there would be rather a 1.02
                                > > than a 1.20, wasn't it for the work of a single man, who,
                                > > single-handedly, invented and realized the new API, the
                                > > face of Enigma as it is today: Ronald Lamprecht's commitment
                                > > to Enigma cannot be appreciated high enough. We hope to
                                > > have him back soon, and, until then, that we can live up
                                > > to his visions for this wonderful game.
                                > >
                                > > Have fun!
                                > >
                                > > Raoul and Andreas

                              • itemfreeze
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 8, 2013
                                  Hi Gabi and Hajo,

                                  now that the maintainers are informed, you might not
                                  have to wait too long until Enigma 1.20 enters the
                                  various distributions as pakets, so you can easily
                                  install it via synaptic, yum or whatever you are
                                  using.

                                  Best regards,
                                  Andreas

                                  --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, "amerling@..." <amerling@...> wrote:

                                  > Hello Hajo,
                                  >
                                  > since I am a Linux user light so to speak :-), I doubt that I am able to compile anything, I just stick with Windows then ... thanks for answering,
                                  >
                                  > Gaby

                                • Hajo Bäß
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 10, 2013
                                    thank you very much indeed, I will keep looking for it...

                                    kind regards

                                    Hajo