Stinkers in Per.Oxyd

  • edward65536
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 6, 2013
      Hi.
      It sure has been a long time since I signed in. Hope there is still someone left. During my absence I've been doing some more 3D Oxyd pictures (sorry for not posting, but will be coming up soon).

      I've now come across a piece that I'm not sure how to make into 3D. The Stinker, or Fart Stones. In the Per.Oxyd Book it is described as desguising itself as a "Blinker". When I hear that word I think of the Timed Switches that blink 3 times, but when I look at them in Per.Oxyd they look like Impulse Stones. Enigma on the other hand shows them as black stones that are indistinguishable from the black stones that just blink red (blinkers?), which are also indistinguishable from one of the Oxyd Flavours.

      Now, I've had one idea if I follow Enigma's representation, and that is to use an Oxyd Flavour based on the low-rez version of Oxyd (see #094). But at the same time it seems like Dongleware wanted people to confuse the Stinkers with the Impulse Stones so I don't want to break that. I would like your opinions on this. Should I make them look like Oxyds or Impulse Stones?

      /Edward
      PS. uploaded 3D Oxyd Linked Landscapes 1-10 just now. Waiting approval.
    • Roy McCoy
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 6, 2013
        edward65536 wrote:

        > Hi.
        > It sure has been a long time since I signed in.

        It's been a long time since *anybody* signed in.

        > Hope there is still someone left.

        I'm sure there is, though.

        > During my absence I've been doing some more 3D Oxyd pictures (sorry for not posting, but will be coming up soon).

        I remember those, they were fun.

        > I've now come across a piece that I'm not sure how to make into 3D. The Stinker, or Fart Stones. In the Per.Oxyd Book it is described as desguising itself as a "Blinker". When I hear that word I think of the Timed Switches that blink 3 times, but when I look at them in Per.Oxyd they look like Impulse Stones. Enigma on the other hand shows them as black stones that are indistinguishable from the black stones that just blink red (blinkers?), which are also indistinguishable from one of the Oxyd Flavours.
        >
        > Now, I've had one idea if I follow Enigma's representation, and that is to use an Oxyd Flavour based on the low-rez version of Oxyd (see #094). But at the same time it seems like Dongleware wanted people to confuse the Stinkers with the Impulse Stones so I don't want to break that. I would like your opinions on this. Should I make them look like Oxyds or Impulse Stones?

        I haven't been playing and so my opinion wouldn't matter much if I had one, which I don't, sorry. If somebody else does and it helps, great. If not, I'd say go whichever way seems best to you.

        > PS. uploaded 3D Oxyd Linked Landscapes 1-10 just now. Waiting approval.

        Does that mean I can play these with someone across the net? Oh, no, just that they're 3D, I suppose. Oh well.

        Thanks,

        Roy McCoy
      • jmiller62
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 6, 2013
          Hi Edward,

          I would say make them look like they do in Per.Oxyd, like impulse stones. I didn't realize they looked different in Enigma, but it's been quite a while since I last played it.

          Jeff

          --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, "edward65536" wrote:

          > Hi.
          > It sure has been a long time since I signed in. Hope there is still someone left. During my absence I've been doing some more 3D Oxyd pictures (sorry for not posting, but will be coming up soon).
          >
          > I've now come across a piece that I'm not sure how to make into 3D. The Stinker, or Fart Stones. In the Per.Oxyd Book it is described as desguising itself as a "Blinker". When I hear that word I think of the Timed Switches that blink 3 times, but when I look at them in Per.Oxyd they look like Impulse Stones. Enigma on the other hand shows them as black stones that are indistinguishable from the black stones that just blink red (blinkers?), which are also indistinguishable from one of the Oxyd Flavours.
          >
          > Now, I've had one idea if I follow Enigma's representation, and that is to use an Oxyd Flavour based on the low-rez version of Oxyd (see #094). But at the same time it seems like Dongleware wanted people to confuse the Stinkers with the Impulse Stones so I don't want to break that. I would like your opinions on this. Should I make them look like Oxyds or Impulse Stones?
          >
          > /Edward
          > PS. uploaded 3D Oxyd Linked Landscapes 1-10 just now. Waiting approval.

        • atmolove
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 8, 2013
            > The Stinker, or Fart Stones. In the Per.Oxyd Book it is described as
            > desguising itself as a "Blinker". When I hear that word I think of
            > the Timed Switches that blink 3 times, but when I look at them in
            > Per.Oxyd they look like Impulse Stones.

            That is correct, in Per.Oxyd they look just like impulse stones. Although the Enigma look is different, as described by you, I would prefer the old Per.Oxyd version of it, just like Jeff Miller said.

            The "charme" of all these disguises is that you incidentially and unwillingly close all open oxyds in one go because you mistook a stinker for something else. I don't think, however, the design of the oxyds themselves should be "abused" for that.

            CU
            Olaf (atmolove)

            P.S. "It's a long time since anybody signed in" - well, it's quite a pity but it seems like almost everything has been said and done about Oxyd in the past. Furthermore, it's 2+ years ago that anything happened on the Enigma homepage. E.g. level of the month is somenthing 2010ish.
          • edward65536
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 8, 2013
              Hi.
              Thank you for your input. I shall go with Impulse Stones. May give the ring ontop a small greenish tinge, I always like to make small distinguishing things, but barely noticable. I think one of the reasons why Enigma decided to make them look like Oxyd stones was because there would be a bigger chance of people knocking into them hoping they would be Oxyds they could open.

              Oh well, many thanks. As a prise... Another 10 Landscapes! :D

              /Edward
            • atmolove
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 8, 2013
                > I shall go with Impulse Stones. May give the ring ontop a small
                > greenish tinge, I always like to make small distinguishing things, but barely noticable.

                > Oh well, many thanks. As a prize... Another 10 Landscapes! :D

                And how gorgeous they are, Edward! I do approve of all you have uploaded so far and would really like to try playing them...
              • Gaby
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 9, 2013
                  I agree, they look great and I also would absolutely love to play them!

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 9, 2013
                    Yeah. Will just have to wait until there is a game engine and gfx card that can render the reflections, refractions, and the lighting that goes through them.
                    Wonder if one can get a Enigma Lua to G-Mod converter?

                    /Edward

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 9, 2013
                      > Wonder if one can get an Enigma Lua to G-Mod converter?

                      If so - would it help run your 3D levels on all systems (Windows, Mac, Linux)? (Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question.)

                      CU
                      Olaf