Avoiding "but over par" in Enigma

  • Roy McCoy
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 12, 2011
      Hi everybody,

      I played Oxyd and Per.Oxyd and am glad to be able to play on with Enigma now, but I don't like getting hit with "but over par" at the end of each level. I'm not in a race or anything, I just enjoy doing the puzzles. Is there anyone here who can change the code so that it will say just "Level finished!", or does anyone know someone who can?

      Thanks,

      Roy McCoy
      Rotterdam, NL
    • jmiller62
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 12, 2011
        Hey Roy,

        I agree, I never cared for that aspect of Enigma either. You'd think there would be a setting for this in the Enigma options. It's not very Oxyd-like when you consider that Oxyd, Per.Oxyd, and Oxyd Magnum all had the option to turn it on or off.

        All I can suggest is that you try posting your question on the Enigma forum. If you find a way to disable it please let me know. Thanks.

        Jeff

        --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, Roy McCoy <roymccoy.nl@...> wrote:

        > Hi everybody,
        >
        > I played Oxyd and Per.Oxyd and am glad to be able to play on with Enigma now, but I don't like getting hit with "but over par" at the end of each level. I'm not in a race or anything, I just enjoy doing the puzzles. Is there anyone here who can change the code so that it will say just "Level finished!", or does anyone know someone who can?
        >

        > Thanks,
        >
        > Roy McCoy
        > Rotterdam, NL

      • Roy McCoy
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 13, 2011
          Hi Jeff,

          > I agree, I never cared for that aspect of Enigma either. You'd think there would be a setting for this in the Enigma options. It's not very Oxyd-like when you consider that Oxyd, Per.Oxyd, and Oxyd Magnum all had the option to turn it on or off.
          >
          > All I can suggest is that you try posting your question on the Enigma forum. If you find a way to disable it please let me know. Thanks.

          Okay, will do. I already did post in the Enigma forum and got help from a player on "The Amazing Maze", but not from a programmer on getting rid of the annoyingly unwanted over-par message at the end of the levels.

          All we need is one person who can do it and realizes that nobody else seems to be doing it. I fell sure someone can be found, whether most of the programmers have abandoned the game or not.

          Thanks,

          Roy
        • jmiller62
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 13, 2011
            I found this e-mail address in the bug reporting section of the Enigma site - enigma-devel@... - though you may have already found it.

            --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, Roy McCoy <roymccoy.nl@...> wrote:

            > Hi Jeff,
            >
            > > I agree, I never cared for that aspect of Enigma either. You'd think there would be a setting for this in the Enigma options. It's not very Oxyd-like when you consider that Oxyd, Per.Oxyd, and Oxyd Magnum all had the option to turn it on or off.
            > >
            > > All I can suggest is that you try posting your question on the Enigma forum. If you find a way to disable it please let me know. Thanks.
            >
            > Okay, will do. I already did post in the Enigma forum and got help from a player on "The Amazing Maze", but not from a programmer on getting rid of the annoyingly unwanted over-par message at the end of the levels.
            >
            > All we need is one person who can do it and realizes that nobody else seems to be doing it. I fell sure someone can be found, whether most of the programmers have abandoned the game or not.
            >

            > Thanks,
            >
            > Roy

          • Roy McCoy
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 13, 2011
              Jeff wrote:
              > I found this e-mail address in the bug reporting section of the Enigma site - enigma-devel@... - though you may have already found it.

              That was the first address I wrote to - also <support@...>. No reply from either address.

              Oh, I know what to do. Commit some horrendous forum sin at www.mag-heut.net and so acquire the attention of an administrator!

              HEY, HEY, HO, HO, "OVER PAR" HAS GOT TO GO !!!

              Roy

            • Roy McCoy
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 14, 2011
                > hi roy,

                Hi.

                > i do not quite understand what you want me to do?

                What I wrote before is that it bothers me to get "over par" at the end of every level. I would like it to say simply "Level finished!" instead, without reminding me every time that I was purportedly too slow in getting through the level. I don't want to do them fast, I just want to do them.

                I'm not a programmer (or I could presumably do this myself), but looking at http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/enigma-devel/2010-02/txtwhrPLo5BJw.txt there would seem to be two ways to make this change:

                1. Change msgid at #: src/client.cc:823 to "Level finished!" as at #: src/client.cc:825.

                2. Change 823 call(s) to 825 call(s).

                I of course don't care at all which of these is done or if it's something different, as long as "Level finished, but over par!" winds up changed to "Level finished!" You could, for example, change "Level finished - better than par!" to "Level finished!" as well, though this isn't important to me since I'll probably never be under par on any of the levels.

                Thanks!

                Roy McCoy
                Rotterdam, NL
              • Daniel Heck
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 14, 2011
                  Hi,

                  I have followed this discussion the whole time, but I originally did not take it too seriously because I considered the "over par" message a minor annoyance at most. But the more I think about it, the more I realize that you indeed have a good point. To put it bluntly: negative feedback, such as this, is simply bad game design, and unless the player explicitly asks for punishment, games should stick to positive reinforcement to motivate players. For this reason I would encourage Enigma's development team to change the message in future versions.

                  Regarding the problem of "fixing" current versions of Enigma... It's not overly complicated to build your own version of Enigma if you have at least a little programming experience; the most difficult aspect will be setting up the development environment (this is explained in doc/README.mingw32). The more economical (but messier) solution is to change the message text by modifying enigma.exe in a hex editor. I feel somewhat bad for even suggesting this, but if the "over par" message really annoys you, this might be the easiest route ;)

                  Cheers,
                  Daniel

                  On Aug 14, 2011, at Aug 14 - 12:21 , Roy McCoy wrote:

                  >> i do not quite understand what you want me to do?
                  >
                  > What I wrote before is that it bothers me to get "over par" at the end of every level. I would like it to say simply "Level finished!" instead, without reminding me every time that I was purportedly too slow in getting through the level. I don't want to do them fast, I just want to do them.
                  >
                  > I'm not a programmer (or I could presumably do this myself), but looking at http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/enigma-devel/2010-02/txtwhrPLo5BJw.txt there would seem to be two ways to make this change:
                  >
                  > 1. Change msgid at #: src/client.cc:823 to "Level finished!" as at #: src/client.cc:825.
                  >
                  > 2. Change 823 call(s) to 825 call(s).
                  >
                  > I of course don't care at all which of these is done or if it's something different, as long as "Level finished, but over par!" winds up changed to "Level finished!" You could, for example, change "Level finished - better than par!" to "Level finished!" as well, though this isn't important to me since I'll probably never be under par on any of the levels.
                  >

                  > Thanks!
                  >
                  > Roy McCoy
                  > Rotterdam, NL
                • Roy McCoy
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 14, 2011
                    Thanks, Daniel. I'd be happy to make the change myself and would if I could, but I really don't know how to do it. I use Mac OS X, so I don't think an .exe solution or .exe tool would work for me.

                    Roy

                    On Aug 14, 2011, at 1:30 PM, Daniel Heck wrote (in the Oxyd Yahoo Group):

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > I have followed this discussion the whole time, but I originally did not take it too seriously because I considered the "over par" message a minor annoyance at most. But the more I think about it, the more I realize that you indeed have a good point. To put it bluntly: negative feedback, such as this, is simply bad game design, and unless the player explicitly asks for punishment, games should stick to positive reinforcement to motivate players. For this reason I would encourage Enigma's development team to change the message in future versions.
                    >
                    > Regarding the problem of "fixing" current versions of Enigma... It's not overly complicated to build your own version of Enigma if you have at least a little programming experience; the most difficult aspect will be setting up the development environment (this is explained in doc/README.mingw32). The more economical (but messier) solution is to change the message text by modifying enigma.exe in a hex editor. I feel somewhat bad for even suggesting this, but if the "over par" message really annoys you, this might be the easiest route ;)
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    > Daniel
                    >
                    > On Aug 14, 2011, at Aug 14 - 12:21 , Roy McCoy wrote:
                    >
                    > >> i do not quite understand what you want me to do?
                    > >
                    > > What I wrote before is that it bothers me to get "over par" at the end of every level. I would like it to say simply "Level finished!" instead, without reminding me every time that I was purportedly too slow in getting through the level. I don't want to do them fast, I just want to do them.
                    > >
                    > > I'm not a programmer (or I could presumably do this myself), but looking at http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/enigma-devel/2010-02/txtwhrPLo5BJw.txt there would seem to be two ways to make this change:
                    > >
                    > > 1. Change msgid at #: src/client.cc:823 to "Level finished!" as at #: src/client.cc:825.
                    > >
                    > > 2. Change 823 call(s) to 825 call(s).
                    > >
                    > > I of course don't care at all which of these is done or if it's something different, as long as "Level finished, but over par!" winds up changed to "Level finished!" You could, for example, change "Level finished - better than par!" to "Level finished!" as well, though this isn't important to me since I'll probably never be under par on any of the levels.
                    > >

                    > > Thanks!
                    > >
                    > > Roy McCoy
                    > > Rotterdam, NL

                  • jmiller62
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 16, 2011
                      I took a look at the Enigma.exe file with a hex editor and could not determine how to make the change, but that's probably due to my total lack of programming skills. But if I ever figure it out I'll change the message to "Not fast enough, LOSER!", since this is essentially what it already says :).

                      With the exception of this small negative aspect of the game, Enigma is a great game, and I do appreciate the efforts of everyone responsible for making it happen.

                      Jeff

                      --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, Roy McCoy <roymccoy.nl@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks, Daniel. I'd be happy to make the change myself and would if I could, but I really don't know how to do it. I use Mac OS X, so I don't think an .exe solution or .exe tool would work for me.
                      >
                      > Roy
                      >

                      > On Aug 14, 2011, at 1:30 PM, Daniel Heck wrote (in the Oxyd Yahoo Group):
                      >
                      > > Hi,
                      > >
                      > > I have followed this discussion the whole time, but I originally did not take it too seriously because I considered the "over par" message a minor annoyance at most. But the more I think about it, the more I realize that you indeed have a good point. To put it bluntly: negative feedback, such as this, is simply bad game design, and unless the player explicitly asks for punishment, games should stick to positive reinforcement to motivate players. For this reason I would encourage Enigma's development team to change the message in future versions.
                      > >
                      > > Regarding the problem of "fixing" current versions of Enigma... It's not overly complicated to build your own version of Enigma if you have at least a little programming experience; the most difficult aspect will be setting up the development environment (this is explained in doc/README.mingw32). The more economical (but messier) solution is to change the message text by modifying enigma.exe in a hex editor. I feel somewhat bad for even suggesting this, but if the "over par" message really annoys you, this might be the easiest route ;)
                      > >
                      > > Cheers,
                      > > Daniel

                      > > > What I wrote before is that it bothers me to get "over par" at the end of every level. I would like it to say simply "Level finished!" instead, without reminding me every time that I was purportedly too slow in getting through the level. I don't want to do them fast, I just want to do them.
                      > > >
                      > > > I'm not a programmer (or I could presumably do this myself), but looking at http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/enigma-devel/2010-02/txtwhrPLo5BJw.txt there would seem to be two ways to make this change:
                      > > >
                      > > > 1. Change msgid at #: src/client.cc:823 to "Level finished!" as at #: src/client.cc:825.
                      > > >
                      > > > 2. Change 823 call(s) to 825 call(s).
                      > > >
                      > > > I of course don't care at all which of these is done or if it's something different, as long as "Level finished, but over par!" winds up changed to "Level finished!" You could, for example, change "Level finished - better than par!" to "Level finished!" as well, though this isn't important to me since I'll probably never be under par on any of the levels.
                      > > >

                      > > > Thanks!
                      > > >
                      > > > Roy McCoy
                      > > > Rotterdam, NL

                    • Roy McCoy
                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 16, 2011
                        Jeff wrote:

                        > I took a look at the Enigma.exe file with a hex editor and could not determine how to make the change, but that's probably due to my total lack of programming skills.

                        Durn.

                        See also "Ridiculous Par Times", http://www.mag-heut.net/blackball/index.php?act=ST&f=7&t=927&s=ad497139d7adec569c265e710edb8f83.
                        > With the exception of this small negative aspect of the game, Enigma is a great game, and I do appreciate the efforts of everyone responsible for making it happen.

                        Yeah. Wonder where they all went, though.

                        Roy

                      • Smutty Smurf
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 16, 2011
                          The messages seem to be stored in the
                          Enigma.mo files ..\data\locale\..\LC_MESSAGES\

                          SS

                          > Jeff wrote:

                          >> I took a look at the Enigma.exe file with a hex editor and could not determine how to make the change, but that's probably due to my total lack of programming skills.

                          > Durn.
                          >> But if I ever figure it out I'll change the message to "Not fast enough, LOSER!", since this is essentially what it already says :).

                          > See also "Ridiculous Par Times",
                          > http://www.mag-heut.net/blackball/index.php?act=ST&f=7&t=927&s=ad497139d7adec569c265e710edb8f83.
                          >> With the exception of this small negative aspect of the game, Enigma is a great game, and I do appreciate the efforts of everyone responsible for making it happen.

                          > Yeah. Wonder where they all went, though.

                          > Roy
                        • jmiller62
                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 16, 2011
                            Durn? What are you trying to say Roy?

                            --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, Smutty Smurf <oxydmaster@...> wrote:

                            > The messages seem to be stored in the
                            > Enigma.mo files ..\data\locale\..\LC_MESSAGES\
                            >
                            > SS
                            >

                            > > Jeff wrote:
                            >
                            > >> I took a look at the Enigma.exe file with a hex editor and could not determine how to make the change, but that's probably due to my total lack of programming skills.
                            >
                            > > Durn.
                            > >> But if I ever figure it out I'll change the message to "Not fast enough, LOSER!", since this is essentially what it already says :).
                            >
                            > > See also "Ridiculous Par Times",
                            > > http://www.mag-heut.net/blackball/index.php?act=ST&f=7&t=927&s=ad497139d7adec569c265e710edb8f83.
                            > >> With the exception of this small negative aspect of the game, Enigma is a great game, and I do appreciate the efforts of everyone responsible for making it happen.
                            >
                            > > Yeah. Wonder where they all went, though.
                            >

                            > > Roy

                          • jmiller62
                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 16, 2011
                              Hey Sven,

                              I tried that, but deleting the text in question did not stop the messages. I even deleted the whole "locale" folder and it still gives the same messages. Like Daniel said, it appears the executable itself needs to be modified.

                              --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, Smutty Smurf <oxydmaster@...> wrote:

                              > The messages seem to be stored in the
                              > Enigma.mo files ..\data\locale\..\LC_MESSAGES\
                              >
                              > SS
                              >

                              > > Jeff wrote:
                              >
                              > >> I took a look at the Enigma.exe file with a hex editor and could not determine how to make the change, but that's probably due to my total lack of programming skills.
                              >
                              > > Durn.
                              > >> But if I ever figure it out I'll change the message to "Not fast enough, LOSER!", since this is essentially what it already says :).
                              >
                              > > See also "Ridiculous Par Times",
                              > > http://www.mag-heut.net/blackball/index.php?act=ST&f=7&t=927&s=ad497139d7adec569c265e710edb8f83.
                              > >> With the exception of this small negative aspect of the game, Enigma is a great game, and I do appreciate the efforts of everyone responsible for making it happen.
                              >
                              > > Yeah. Wonder where they all went, though.
                              >

                              > > Roy

                            • Roy McCoy
                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 17, 2011
                                Jeff wrote:
                                > I tried that, but deleting the text in question did not stop the messages. I even deleted the whole "locale" folder and it still gives the same messages. Like Daniel said, it appears the executable itself needs to be modified.
                                >
                                > --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, Smutty Smurf <oxydmaster@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > The messages seem to be stored in the
                                > > Enigma.mo files ..\data\locale\..\LC_MESSAGES\
                                > >
                                > > SS

                                I don't know, but in the absence of any other plausible explanation I might venture the guess that LC_MESSAGES might possibly be a means by which the "default" messages of the executable could be modified. You might try altering the text messages rather than deleting them and seeing if you get a change then, though I don't know that this would work and in fact I doubt it.

                                Are there really no Oxyd/Enigma programmers in this group? With 1793 members?

                                > Durn? What are you trying to say Roy?

                                Sorry. "Jeff Miller" is such an American-sounding name that I supposed you were a native English speaker. "Durn" is a common expression of disappointment, being, like "darn", a euphemistic variant of "damn", as in "God damn it to hell." In this case the disappointment was that you couldn't figure out how to change the messages.

                                Roy

                              • jenepherre
                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 17, 2011
                                  Have any of you considered joining Enigma's Development mailing list and asking there? That's where all the programmers hang out.

                                • Roy McCoy
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Aug 17, 2011
                                    jenepherre wrote:
                                    > Have any of you considered joining Enigma's Development mailing list and asking there? That's where all the programmers hang out.

                                    I wasn't aware of that list but have now joined it and posted my request:

                                    > I've been trying to get a modified version of Enigma
                                    > that says simply "Level finished!" at the end of each level
                                    > rather than adding anything about par, but have only a partial
                                    > solution from my requests at mag-heut.net and the Yahoo Oxyd
                                    > group. Namely, someone sent me a version that purportedly was
                                    > so modified, but the first level I played with it ended not
                                    > with the desired message but with one I'd never seen before
                                    > that said I'd broken my own record but was still under par.
                                    >
                                    > Every level after that ended with "Level finished!" and so
                                    > I thought the anomalous first one was just a joke, that the
                                    > guy had programmed it to do that and always deliver "Level
                                    > finished!" thereafter, but he wrote me that it wasn't a joke,
                                    > that there were various messages, he'd changed only one of them
                                    > and didn't consider it worth the trouble to change the others.
                                    > I can understand his attitude, particularly since there was only
                                    > the one other message and it came up only once (it apparently
                                    > having been a strange coincidence that this was precisely the
                                    > first time I ran the modified version), but at the same time
                                    > it still seems to me to be something that would be about the
                                    > most easy mod you could make to the program if you were a
                                    > programmer and knew what you were doing.
                                    >
                                    > Somebody in the Yahoo group suggested that I join this list
                                    > and ask here, so that's what I've now done.

                                    Thanks,

                                    Roy McCoy
                                    Rotterdam, NL

                                  • jmiller62
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Aug 17, 2011
                                      Roy,

                                      You obviously did not read my last message. I said that I tried modifying the enigma.mo file, but had no success. I didn't spell out for you that there are 10 language folders, all with an enigma.mo file containing the same text in english. So rather than modifying all of them to ensure that none of the other enigma.mo files could possibly be accessed, I experimented and deleted them all. It made no difference and the game still worked normally, and the same messages appeared. So, considering that deleting all the enigma.mo files had no effect on the game, it's safe to say that the problem lies elsewhere (like the enigma executable, as Daniel said).

                                      As for "durn", you're clearly not an american. I am, and I personally have never heard anyone use this word. It sounds like slang, it's not proper english, and your use of it sounded condescending in nature. But, perhaps I'm wrong, and people in the Netherlands actually use this word in conversation without being insulting.

                                      In the future, please do not post messages with cursing. I don't appreciate it, and I'm sure there are others that get these messages that don't appreciate it either.

                                      And "Roy McCoy"? You're kidding, right?! That sounds much more american than "Jeff Miller" to me.

                                      Jeff

                                      --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, Roy McCoy <roymccoy.nl@...> wrote:

                                      > Jeff wrote:
                                      > > I tried that, but deleting the text in question did not stop the messages. I even deleted the whole "locale" folder and it still gives the same messages. Like Daniel said, it appears the executable itself needs to be modified.
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, Smutty Smurf <oxydmaster@> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > The messages seem to be stored in the
                                      > > > Enigma.mo files ..\data\locale\..\LC_MESSAGES\
                                      > > >
                                      > > > SS
                                      > >
                                      > I don't know, but in the absence of any other plausible explanation I might venture the guess that LC_MESSAGES might possibly be a means by which the "default" messages of the executable could be modified. You might try altering the text messages rather than deleting them and seeing if you get a change then, though I don't know that this would work and in fact I doubt it.
                                      >
                                      > Are there really no Oxyd/Enigma programmers in this group? With 1793 members?
                                      >

                                      > > Durn? What are you trying to say Roy?
                                      >
                                      > Sorry. "Jeff Miller" is such an American-sounding name that I supposed you were a native English speaker. "Durn" is a common expression of disappointment, being, like "darn", a euphemistic variant of "damn", as in "God damn it to hell." In this case the disappointment was that you couldn't figure out how to change the messages.
                                      >

                                      > Roy

                                    • Tom
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Aug 18, 2011
                                        A little off topic, I know, but I think Roy had meant to say "darn".
                                        Considering it's a softened version of the d-word (cf. 'heck'), I don't think we could seriously consider it as offensive.

                                        Now, returning to the matter at hand, Mac users will be pleased to know that I've found a solution!

                                        Locate the Enigma app; right-click (or Control-click) on the icon and choose
                                        "Show Package Contents". This will open a new window. Go through the following file path: Contents > Resources > data, and you should find a file called "ratings.xml".
                                        This little file is the root of all your suffering, as it contains the accurs�d par times. Delete it, open the game, and enjoy! Now whenever you complete a level (even if takes you 20 minutes!) you will be greeted by the friendly message "Level finished!" :-)
                                        An Apple a day keeps Microsoft away

                                        Second Lt. Applemeister of the 68k Macintosh Liberation Army

                                        On 17 Aug 2011, at 18:04, jmiller62 wrote:

                                        > Roy,
                                        >
                                        > You obviously did not read my last message. I said that I tried modifying the enigma.mo file, but had no success. I didn't spell out for you that there are 10 language folders, all with an enigma.mo file containing the same text in english. So rather than modifying all of them to ensure that none of the other enigma.mo files could possibly be accessed, I experimented and deleted them all. It made no difference and the game still worked normally, and the same messages appeared. So, considering that deleting all the enigma.mo files had no effect on the game, it's safe to say that the problem lies elsewhere (like the enigma executable, as Daniel said).
                                        >
                                        > As for "durn", you're clearly not an american. I am, and I personally have never heard anyone use this word. It sounds like slang, it's not proper english, and your use of it sounded condescending in nature. But, perhaps I'm wrong, and people in the Netherlands actually use this word in conversation without being insulting.
                                        >
                                        > In the future, please do not post messages with cursing. I don't appreciate it, and I'm sure there are others that get these messages that don't appreciate it either.
                                        >
                                        > And "Roy McCoy"? You're kidding, right?! That sounds much more american than "Jeff Miller" to me.
                                        >
                                        > Jeff
                                        >
                                        > --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, Roy McCoy <roymccoy.nl@...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Jeff wrote:
                                        > > > I tried that, but deleting the text in question did not stop the messages. I even deleted the whole "locale" folder and it still gives the same messages. Like Daniel said, it appears the executable itself needs to be modified.

                                        > > I don't know, but in the absence of any other plausible explanation I might venture the guess that LC_MESSAGES might possibly be a means by which the "default" messages of the executable could be modified. You might try altering the text messages rather than deleting them and seeing if you get a change then, though I don't know that this would work and in fact I doubt it.
                                        > >
                                        > > Are there really no Oxyd/Enigma programmers in this group? With 1793 members?
                                        > >

                                        > > > Durn? What are you trying to say Roy?
                                        > >
                                        > > Sorry. "Jeff Miller" is such an American-sounding name that I supposed you were a native English speaker. "Durn" is a common expression of disappointment, being, like "darn", a euphemistic variant of "damn", as in "God damn it to hell." In this case the disappointment was that you couldn't figure out how to change the messages.
                                        > >

                                        > > Roy

                                      • Hajo Bäß
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Aug 18, 2011
                                          hello everyboddy,

                                          interesting discussion going on here, and I, too, would like to join the
                                          conversation, this time from Germany. Enigma is great, but it does have
                                          some little flaws such as the one being discussed here. Unfortunately I
                                          am not a programmer, too, and if ratings.xml contains the partimes, but
                                          can be deleted without messing up the rest of the application, I would
                                          call this a nice workaround indeed. But, Tom, could you tell where in
                                          the file the partime definitions are? One could maybe also just change
                                          them. I just took a look at the file opening it in BBEdit, but could not
                                          identify them.
                                          There also is a little bug in the German localization (while we are at
                                          it): all the Umlauts have been replaced by two dots, and fiddling around
                                          with it a bit, I could replace some by the workaround "ue" instead of
                                          "ü". The German version of "Level finished, but over par" is "Level
                                          beendet, aber über Par". This would also be nice to correct, but it
                                          seems that it cannot be done in a Hex Editor. I tried, but afterwards
                                          the game behaved not quite as before. Since I did not feel like spending
                                          hours searching for a thorough cure, I gave up on it, since this, too,
                                          is a minor issue of "only" esthetic significance.

                                          all best

                                          Hajo

                                        • sable_sabbath
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Aug 19, 2011
                                            Servus, Hajo!

                                            Apologies for the late reply, but I usually get notified by e-mail when a new message is posted to the group. I'm not too sure why that didn't happen in this case.

                                            At any rate, I don't really see much point in changing the values in the "ratings.xml" file – there's several thousand in there! I can confirm that by deleting the file, the game will still work – that is, after all, how I tested it!

                                            If you really wanted to change the values, then they appear to be stored in the variable "pard". But for some reason that variable appears twice. The first instance of "pard" usually contains a value of -1; however the second one appears to store the time in the form of milliseconds (e.g. 1547).

                                            But, to be perfectly honest, it isn't really worth the hassle, and it's best to just get rid of the file altogether. Those who are UNIX-savvy can do so using the Terminal by typing: rm /WhereYouInstalledEnigma/Enigma.app/Contents/Resources/data/ratings.xml

                                            Please be aware that the above should be executed by advanced users *only*. I don't want to sound condescending, but misuse of the 'rm' command can cause you *a lot* of grief if you don't know what you're doing!

                                            A thought has occurred to me that Windows and Linux users should also be able to get rid of the "Level finished, but over par" message by locating the "ratings.xml" file in their game folder and sending it to the trash/wastebasket/recycle bin.

                                            Hope this helps!

                                            --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, Hajo Bäß <les_adieuxhbsp@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                            > >american than "Jeff Miller" to me.
                                            > >>
                                            > >> Jeff

                                            > >messages. I even deleted the whole "locale" folder and it still gives
                                            > >the same messages. Like Daniel said, it appears the executable itself
                                            > >needs to be modified.

                                            > >I might venture the guess that LC_MESSAGES might possibly be a means by
                                            > >which the "default" messages of the executable could be modified. You
                                            > >might try altering the text messages rather than deleting them and
                                            > >seeing if you get a change then, though I don't know that this would
                                            > >work and in fact I doubt it.

                                            > >members?

                                            > >supposed you were a native English speaker. "Durn" is a common
                                            > >expression of disappointment, being, like "darn", a euphemistic variant
                                            > >of "damn", as in "God damn it to hell." In this case the disappointment
                                            > >was that you couldn't figure out how to change the messages.

                                          • Mr_Roy_McCoy
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Aug 23, 2011
                                              Tom <applemeister@...> wrote:

                                              > Now, returning to the matter at hand, Mac users will be pleased to know that I've found a solution!
                                              >
                                              > Locate the Enigma app; right-click (or Control-click) on the icon and choose
                                              > "Show Package Contents". This will open a new window. Go through the following file path: Contents > Resources > data, and you should find a file called "ratings.xml".
                                              > This little file is the root of all your suffering, as it contains the accurs�d par times. Delete it, open the game, and enjoy! Now whenever you complete a level (even if takes you 20 minutes!) you will be greeted by the friendly message "Level finished!" :-)

                                              Just saw this now, thanks. I was getting "Level finished!" nearly every time, but I'll be happy for there not to be any exceptions - even the one "under par" one I finally got the other night on one of the Esprit levels. I'd be glad to finish some of these levels in 20 minutes, however. Guess I'm just inept and dumb. :-{

                                              Roy
                                            • Mr_Roy_McCoy
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Aug 23, 2011
                                                P.S.
                                                > Just saw this now, thanks. I was getting "Level finished!" nearly every time, but I'll be happy for there not to be any exceptions [...]

                                                Oops, spoke too soon. I didn't mind its giving me the world championship on every level I'd played, lol - but there was level info I still wanted to see that disappeared with the ratings file, so I put it back in.

                                                Info like, 44% or so have solved Esprit 42. I think I'll do better when I try this level using my trackball in the office rather than my laptop trackpad, but I have the feeling that I'm light-years away from being able to do the level, whatever I use. The rotor here is fast and deadly and just keeps killing me over and over. Does anyone have any trick at all that might help?

                                                Thanks,

                                                Roy