Re: 3D Oxyd Landscapes

  • edward65536
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 8, 2011
      Hi.
      Just thought I'd let you know that a new set has been uploaded. Landscapes 22-40.

      --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, "edward65536" <edward65536@...> wrote:

      > Hello.
      > I haven't been around much partly because I had a little resistance to Yahoo, but I guess it has its benifits (like downing all Oxyd files).
      > Anyways, I've decided to share with you all a little project I was working on, which I put on hold because of 3 reasons:
      > 1. The computer where I saved all my files died. HDD still intact but it is getting old so I need to get myself another one to copy everything off to.
      > 2. Real life started taking over.
      > 3. I felt that I needed some feedback on my work and see if I've made good interpretations of the different objects in the game.
      > I posted this out at mag-heut but got no response. I take it all the hard core Oxyd fans are hanging about here.
      >
      > These landscapes have been made in a program called Bryce by Corel. With this program I have counted the stones on screenshots, placed them by hand onto the 3D field of the program, and textured them with an assortment of different materials that Bryce had in its library (mostly the metals category). Then I took an extra look at the screenshot and tried to think of a good atmosphere to add to this landscape. Most of the time I've just selected some preset.
      > I would like to give a big thanks to whoever took screenshots of the landscapes and stitched them together (I see that jmiller62 has uploaded them, but this isn't where I got them from and the site seems to have disappeared). It is from those I've built these 3D models.
      >
      > Anyways, I have uploaded the first 11 Oxyd Landscapes plus an Esprit Landscape (the first test I did) to the Photos section and would like your opinions. Hope I've made good 3D representations of the objects.
      >
      > /Edward

    • edward65536
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 13, 2011
        Hello.
        Another set uploaded. 41-60.
        Btw, is anyone still about? Or is there a busier forum somewhere else?

        /Edward
      • Clifford J. Tasner
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 13, 2011
          Edward,

          Your vision for what Oxyd would be like in 3-Dimensions is hauntingly beautiful. Thank you for the gift of your work.

          best,
          Taztunes
        • jmiller62
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 14, 2011
            Hi Edward,

            Your 3D versions of the landscapes look cool. It's too bad someone
            hasn't tried updating the Oxyd series to 3D, but it appears there's not
            enough interest in the game to justify the cost. I think the closest
            thing to a 3D version of Oxyd we'll ever see is "Ballance".

            With 1782 group members you'd think we would get more posts. And as far
            as I know, this is the only Oxyd forum around. The Enigma forum doesn't
            seem to be doing any better either.

            Perhaps there would be more interest in Oxyd if it could be easily
            played on XP or Win7. I've read that some people have managed to get it
            to work using DOSbox, but it didn't seem to be a simple process. Perhaps
            there is someone in the group that knows a relatively easy way to run
            the different Oxyd games on XP/Win7 with sound? I can't think of a
            better topic of discussion, as this has been an issue for a long time. I
            solved the problem by building a Win'98 machine just to play Oxyd - and
            I'm actually thinking about building a 2nd one to play in link mode
            using Basilisk II - but playing it on XP would be much more convenient.

            Jeff

            --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, "edward65536" <edward65536@...> wrote:

            > Hello.
            > Another set uploaded. 41-60.
            > Btw, is anyone still about? Or is there a busier forum somewhere else?
            >
            > /Edward

          • edward65536
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 16, 2011
              Yeah, well. Actually, people have tried. I once found an "Oxyd 3D" somewhere, but now I don't know where it came from because someone forgot to include a readme. Also it seems to be borked and I've lost the install file. If I had permission to add Files I could put it up for you people to look at.
              Also, someone made this game called Ozone, but due to a hardware failure it is now abandoned.

              As to playing Oxyd on the later Panes, maybe the best bet are the alternative platform versions like UAE, STEem... Or just simply run it in Linux. ;)

              Anyways, maybe I'll put these as a slideshow on youtube once I've thrown them all here (whether that is just the Single levels, or also Linked I haven't decided yet). Might get some new attention to the forums.

              /Edward

              --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, "jmiller62" <jmiller62@...> wrote:

              > Hi Edward,
              >
              > Your 3D versions of the landscapes look cool. It's too bad someone
              > hasn't tried updating the Oxyd series to 3D, but it appears there's not
              > enough interest in the game to justify the cost. I think the closest
              > thing to a 3D version of Oxyd we'll ever see is "Ballance".
              >
              > With 1782 group members you'd think we would get more posts. And as far
              > as I know, this is the only Oxyd forum around. The Enigma forum doesn't
              > seem to be doing any better either.
              >
              > Perhaps there would be more interest in Oxyd if it could be easily
              > played on XP or Win7. I've read that some people have managed to get it
              > to work using DOSbox, but it didn't seem to be a simple process. Perhaps
              > there is someone in the group that knows a relatively easy way to run
              > the different Oxyd games on XP/Win7 with sound? I can't think of a
              > better topic of discussion, as this has been an issue for a long time. I
              > solved the problem by building a Win'98 machine just to play Oxyd - and
              > I'm actually thinking about building a 2nd one to play in link mode
              > using Basilisk II - but playing it on XP would be much more convenient.
              >
              > Jeff
              >

              > --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, "edward65536" <edward65536@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello.
              > > Another set uploaded. 41-60.
              > > Btw, is anyone still about? Or is there a busier forum somewhere else?
              > >
              > > /Edward

            • edward65536
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 16, 2011
                Thanks. I was bored, the Oxyd Magnum book was sitting there staring at me, and some drawings I did in school were cluttered on the table.

                Hm, wonder if I could sell these as posters? ;)
                ... Actually, hold off on that idea. I'd like to get the entire set done before taking in custom requests.

                /Edward

                --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, "Clifford J. Tasner" <taztunes@...> wrote:

                > Edward,
                >
                > Your vision for what Oxyd would be like in 3-Dimensions is hauntingly beautiful. Thank you for the gift of your work.
                >
                > best,
                > Taztunes

              • jmiller62
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 17, 2011
                  You can upload the "Oxyd 3D" file now. Sorry about that.

                  Jeff

                  --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, "edward65536" <edward65536@...> wrote:

                  > Yeah, well. Actually, people have tried. I once found an "Oxyd 3D" somewhere, but now I don't know where it came from because someone forgot to include a readme. Also it seems to be borked and I've lost the install file. If I had permission to add Files I could put it up for you people to look at.
                  > Also, someone made this game called Ozone, but due to a hardware failure it is now abandoned.
                  >
                  > As to playing Oxyd on the later Panes, maybe the best bet are the alternative platform versions like UAE, STEem... Or just simply run it in Linux. ;)
                  >
                  > Anyways, maybe I'll put these as a slideshow on youtube once I've thrown them all here (whether that is just the Single levels, or also Linked I haven't decided yet). Might get some new attention to the forums.
                  >
                  > /Edward
                  >
                  > --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, "jmiller62" <jmiller62@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Hi Edward,
                  > >
                  > > Your 3D versions of the landscapes look cool. It's too bad someone
                  > > hasn't tried updating the Oxyd series to 3D, but it appears there's not
                  > > enough interest in the game to justify the cost. I think the closest
                  > > thing to a 3D version of Oxyd we'll ever see is "Ballance".
                  > >
                  > > With 1782 group members you'd think we would get more posts. And as far
                  > > as I know, this is the only Oxyd forum around. The Enigma forum doesn't
                  > > seem to be doing any better either.
                  > >
                  > > Perhaps there would be more interest in Oxyd if it could be easily
                  > > played on XP or Win7. I've read that some people have managed to get it
                  > > to work using DOSbox, but it didn't seem to be a simple process. Perhaps
                  > > there is someone in the group that knows a relatively easy way to run
                  > > the different Oxyd games on XP/Win7 with sound? I can't think of a
                  > > better topic of discussion, as this has been an issue for a long time. I
                  > > solved the problem by building a Win'98 machine just to play Oxyd - and
                  > > I'm actually thinking about building a 2nd one to play in link mode
                  > > using Basilisk II - but playing it on XP would be much more convenient.
                  > >
                  > > Jeff
                  > >

                  > > --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, "edward65536" <edward65536@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hello.
                  > > > Another set uploaded. 41-60.
                  > > > Btw, is anyone still about? Or is there a busier forum somewhere else?
                  > > >
                  > > > /Edward

                • edward65536
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 24, 2011
                    Hello.
                    Landscapes 61-70 posted.
                  • edward65536
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 18, 2011
                      Landscapes 71-80 posted.
                    • edward65536
                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 22 2:14 PM
                        Hello all.
                        Sorry I haven't put any new pictures up lately. As I was building a level, I kinda got very stuck on an idea. I made the level, then got an idea and tried to build it in Bryce, but being as unoptimized as it was it didn't go so well. I then spent half the summer trying to figure on other ways to implement my idea and got nowhere. Then I took a vacation, and now finally I'm back with Landscapes 81-90.
                        Sorry for the delay.

                        Btw, also downloaded Bolo, and is it normal that once you get Game Over you have to restart the game to get anywhere?

                        /Edward
                      • edward65536
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 1, 2011
                          Hello.
                          Been finding new ways of keeping myself (and my computers) busy and had almost completely forgotten about this.

                          Now to get working on the Linked Games / Multi Player... Maybe after the holidays...

                          Btw, would it be possible to have sub-albums? So that there is a main album called "3D Oxyd Landscapes", then under that are sub-albums (sub-folders) called "Oxyd 1", "Oxyd Linked Games", "Per.Oxyd", etc.
                          Or will I have to create many "main" albums called "3D Oxyd Linked Landscapes", "3D Per.Oxyd Landscapes", etc.

                          /Edward
                        • jmiller62
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 1, 2011
                            Hi Edward,

                            I tried to create a sub-album in the "3D Oxyd Landscapes" album, but it just placed it in the "Photos" folder with the others. I guess you would have to create separate albums for each if you don't want them all lumped together.

                            Is it possible to create the landscapes so that the whole landscape is visible in detail? Like a 3D screenshot (if that's even possible)? #98 is a good example, as you can't see much detail in it even if you download the image and zoom in.

                            Jeff

                            --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, "edward65536" <edward.leuf@...> wrote:

                            > Hello.
                            > Been finding new ways of keeping myself (and my computers) busy and had almost completely forgotten about this.
                            >
                            > Now to get working on the Linked Games / Multi Player... Maybe after the holidays...
                            >
                            > Btw, would it be possible to have sub-albums? So that there is a main album called "3D Oxyd Landscapes", then under that are sub-albums (sub-folders) called "Oxyd 1", "Oxyd Linked Games", "Per.Oxyd", etc.
                            > Or will I have to create many "main" albums called "3D Oxyd Linked Landscapes", "3D Per.Oxyd Landscapes", etc.
                            >
                            > /Edward

                          • edward65536
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 1, 2011
                              You want a super HD 6 Giga Pixel wallpaper? :p
                              Ok, not that bad. To get the entirety it seems to be about 16000x600 and will take about 6 hours to render.
                              Though I did say I'd like to get the set done before taking in custom requests, I suppose I should do something in order to get some feedback on the 3D representations of the objects.

                              /Edward

                              --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, "jmiller62" <jmiller62@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Edward,
                              >
                              > I tried to create a sub-album in the "3D Oxyd Landscapes" album, but it just placed it in the "Photos" folder with the others. I guess you would have to create separate albums for each if you don't want them all lumped together.
                              >
                              > Is it possible to create the landscapes so that the whole landscape is visible in detail? Like a 3D screenshot (if that's even possible)? #98 is a good example, as you can't see much detail in it even if you download the image and zoom in.
                              >
                              > Jeff
                              >

                              > --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, "edward65536" <edward.leuf@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hello.
                              > > Been finding new ways of keeping myself (and my computers) busy and had almost completely forgotten about this.
                              > >
                              > > Now to get working on the Linked Games / Multi Player... Maybe after the holidays...
                              > >
                              > > Btw, would it be possible to have sub-albums? So that there is a main album called "3D Oxyd Landscapes", then under that are sub-albums (sub-folders) called "Oxyd 1", "Oxyd Linked Games", "Per.Oxyd", etc.
                              > > Or will I have to create many "main" albums called "3D Oxyd Linked Landscapes", "3D Per.Oxyd Landscapes", etc.
                              > >
                              > > /Edward

                            • Jeff
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 1, 2011
                                Hey, that sounds cool :)! Though I may need another graphics card and a couple more monitors to make the most of #98 :). But seriously, I guess I misunderstand that your 3D renderings were not intended to be screenshots, but more like wallpaper or even "Oxyd art". An HD version of one or two key landscapes would be nice. It looks like a lot of work.

                                Jeff

                                ________________________________
                                You want a super HD 6 Giga Pixel wallpaper? :p
                                Ok, not that bad. To get the entirety it seems to be about 16000x600 and will take about 6 hours to render.
                                Though I did say I'd like to get the set done before taking in custom requests, I suppose I should do something in order to get some feedback on the 3D representations of the objects.

                                /Edward

                                --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, "jmiller62" <jmiller62@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Edward,
                                >
                                > I tried to create a sub-album in the "3D Oxyd Landscapes" album, but it just placed it in the "Photos" folder with the others. I guess you would have to create separate albums for each if you don't want them all lumped together.
                                >
                                > Is it possible to create the landscapes so that the whole landscape is visible in detail? Like a 3D screenshot (if that's even possible)? #98 is a good example, as you can't see much detail in it even if you download the image and zoom in.
                                >
                                > Jeff
                                >

                                > --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, "edward65536" <edward.leuf@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Hello.
                                > > Been finding new ways of keeping myself (and my computers) busy and had almost completely forgotten about this.
                                > >
                                > > Now to get working on the Linked Games / Multi Player... Maybe after the holidays...
                                > >
                                > > Btw, would it be possible to have sub-albums? So that there is a main album called "3D Oxyd Landscapes", then under that are sub-albums (sub-folders) called "Oxyd 1", "Oxyd Linked Games", "Per.Oxyd", etc.
                                > > Or will I have to create many "main" albums called "3D Oxyd Linked Landscapes", "3D Per.Oxyd Landscapes", etc.
                                > >
                                > > /Edward

                              • jmiller62
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 1, 2011
                                  Sorry, I have no idea how all the "Â"s were inserted in the text of my last message. Apparently it was a Yahoo glitch. It should have read:

                                  Hey, that sounds cool :)! Though I may need another graphics card and a couple more monitors to make the most of #98 :). But seriously, I guess I misunderstand that your 3D renderings were not intended to be screenshots, but more like wallpaper or even "Oxyd art". An HD version of one or two key landscapes would be nice. It looks like a lot of work.

                                  Jeff

                                  Durn :).

                                  --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, Jeff <jmiller62@...> wrote:

                                  > Hey, that sounds cool :)! Though I may need another graphics card and a couple more monitors to make the most of #98 :). But seriously, I guess I misunderstand that your 3D renderings were not intended to be screenshots, but more like wallpaper or even "Oxyd art". An HD version of one or two key landscapes would be nice. It looks like a lot of work.
                                  >
                                  > Jeff
                                  >

                                  > ________________________________

                                • edward65536
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 2, 2011
                                    Ok, I decided to do the whole thing. See here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/oxyd/photos/album/1729833410/pic/686755189/view

                                    And maybe I could do some other landscapes like this, though the question is, what would you call "key landscapes"? Got any numbers I can put in my list?

                                    /Edward

                                    --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, "jmiller62" <jmiller62@...> wrote:

                                    > Sorry, I have no idea how all the "Â"s were inserted in the text of my last message. Apparently it was a Yahoo glitch. It should have read:
                                    >
                                    > Hey, that sounds cool :)! Though I may need another graphics card and a couple more monitors to make the most of #98 :). But seriously, I guess I misunderstand that your 3D renderings were not intended to be screenshots, but more like wallpaper or even "Oxyd art". An HD version of one or two key landscapes would be nice. It looks like a lot of work.
                                    >
                                    > Jeff
                                    >
                                    > Durn :).
                                    >

                                    > --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, Jeff <jmiller62@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Hey, that sounds cool :)! Though I may need another graphics card and a couple more monitors to make the most of #98 :). But seriously, I guess I misunderstand that your 3D renderings were not intended to be screenshots, but more like wallpaper or even "Oxyd art". An HD version of one or two key landscapes would be nice. It looks like a lot of work.
                                    > >
                                    > > Jeff
                                    > >

                                    > > ________________________________

                                  • jmiller62
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 3, 2011
                                      How about a high res version of Oxyd #6? The #6 you've already made looks good, but higher resolution (perhaps without the cloudy look to it) would be great.

                                      Jeff

                                      --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, "edward65536" <edward.leuf@...> wrote:

                                      > And maybe I could do some other landscapes like this, though the question is, what would you call "key landscapes"? Got any numbers I can put in my list?
                                      >
                                      > /Edward
                                      >
                                      > --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, "jmiller62" <jmiller62@> wrote:
                                      > >

                                      > > Sorry, I have no idea how all the "Â"s were inserted in the text of my last message. Apparently it was a Yahoo glitch. It should have read:
                                      > >
                                      > > Hey, that sounds cool :)! Though I may need another graphics card and a couple more monitors to make the most of #98 :). But seriously, I guess I misunderstand that your 3D renderings were not intended to be screenshots, but more like wallpaper or even "Oxyd art". An HD version of one or two key landscapes would be nice. It looks like a lot of work.
                                      > >
                                      > > Jeff
                                      > >
                                      > > Durn :).
                                      > >

                                      > > --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, Jeff <jmiller62@> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Hey, that sounds cool :)! Though I may need another graphics card and a couple more monitors to make the most of #98 :). But seriously, I guess I misunderstand that your 3D renderings were not intended to be screenshots, but more like wallpaper or even "Oxyd art". An HD version of one or two key landscapes would be nice. It looks like a lot of work.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Jeff

                                    • edward65536
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 6, 2011
                                        And so it is done... http://groups.yahoo.com/group/oxyd/photos/album/1729833410/pic/603689418/view