Oxyd/Enigma on iPhone?

  • TrevorML
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 18, 2010
      hi folks

      does anyone know if Oxyd or Enigma are, or are going to be, available on the iPhone? would be great to be able to take this great game with me :)

      cheers from Oz
      Trevor
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 19, 2010
        Hey Trevor,

        Welcome to the group. I personally haven't heard anything about Oxyd or Enigma on an iPhone. Seems to me that Enigma would be a more likely candidate. I briefy browsed the Enigma forum, but saw no obvious topics of interest. If you haven't already, you may want to post the same message there. If you discover anything please post the info to the group. Someone may find it useful.

        Have you heard of Mulg? I recall a discussion here a while back about a game for Palm products that is similar to Oxyd. The home page is http://www.harbaum.org/till/palm/mulg/%c2%a0if you're interested.

        Jeff

      • shootintom@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 19, 2010
          Would anyone have a mac copy of peroxyd that they'd be willing to part with? I've been trying to buy a copy on ebay and haven'[t been successful yet.

          Thanks

          Tom

          ----- "Jeff" <jmiller62@...> wrote:

          Hey Trevor,

          > Welcome to the group. I personally haven't heard anything about Oxyd or Enigma on an iPhone. Seems to me that Enigma would be a more likely candidate. I briefy browsed the Enigma forum, but saw no obvious topics of interest. If you haven't already, you may want to post the same message there. If you discover anything please post the info to the group. Someone may find it useful.
          >
          > Have you heard of Mulg? I recall a discussion here a while back about a game for Palm products that is similar to Oxyd. The home page is http://www.harbaum.org/till/palm/mulg/  if you're interested.
          >
          > Jeff

        • Daniel Heck
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 19, 2010
            There was a discussion about this topic on Enigma's developer mailing list a few months ago:

            http://www.mail-archive.com/enigma-devel@.../msg01647.html

            In short: there is interest in an iPhone port, but nobody is actively working on it so far.

            Chees,
            Daniel

            On Jan 20, 2010, at Jan 20 - 01:00 , Jeff wrote:

            > Hey Trevor,
            >
            > Welcome to the group. I personally haven't heard anything about Oxyd or Enigma on an iPhone. Seems to me that Enigma would be a more likely candidate. I briefy browsed the Enigma forum, but saw no obvious topics of interest. If you haven't already, you may want to post the same message there. If you discover anything please post the info to the group. Someone may find it useful.
            >
            > Have you heard of Mulg? I recall a discussion here a while back about a game for Palm products that is similar to Oxyd. The home page is http://www.harbaum.org/till/palm/mulg/ if you're interested.
            >
            > Jeff
          • tempelmann
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 20, 2010
              I believe that Meinolf, the creator of OXYD, would be interested in a port, along with licensing the original OXYD levels, provided there's a revenue in selling the "iOXYD" app on the App Store.

              Problem, though, is that many levels need a re-design because the rather slow response of the accelerator would make some levels practically impossible to play.

              But if there is a serious programmer here who wants to write a new engine for the iPhone, I think I can get him in contact with Meinolf, who in return might be interested in investing some time in designing new levels that play better with the iPhone.

              Thomas
            • tempelmann

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 20, 2010
                  See the files section of this group. (Per.)Oxyd is not compatible OSX; it works on OS9.
                  And last but not least, you have to be a member of the yahoo group to download files.

                  Have fun!
                  Frizlab

                  --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, shootintom@... wrote:

                  > Would anyone have a mac copy of peroxyd that they'd be willing to part with? I've been trying to buy a copy on ebay and haven'[t been successful yet.
                  >

                  > Thanks
                  >

                  > Tom
                  >

                  > ----- "Jeff" <jmiller62@...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > Hey Trevor,
                  > >
                  > > Welcome to the group. I personally haven't heard anything about Oxyd or Enigma on an iPhone. Seems to me that Enigma would be a more likely candidate. I briefy browsed the Enigma forum, but saw no obvious topics of interest. If you haven't already, you may want to post the same message there. If you discover anything please post the info to the group. Someone may find it useful.
                  > >
                  > > Have you heard of Mulg? I recall a discussion here a while back about a game for Palm products that is similar to Oxyd. The home page is http://www.harbaum.org/till/palm/mulg/  if you're interested.
                  > >
                  > > Jeff

                • atmolove
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 20, 2010
                    Heyheyhey... this group is still alive after all these years!!

                    > (Per.)Oxyd is not compatible OSX; it works on OS9.

                    In general it does, however, emulating OS9 under Mac OS X "Tiger" did not lead to good results. None of the Oxyd games was working with it.

                    Don't laugh at me but I bought 2 old PowerPCs via ebay, only in order to be able to play the 2 player mode of Oxyd 1 :-o

                    (...which is quite a challenge, as some of the landscapes require 2 human beings coordinating perfectly, not just 2 mice and monitors...)

                    > And last but not least, you have to be a member of the yahoo group to download files.

                    He should already be a member if he could post his question here?

                    Greetz
                    Olaf
                    - atmolove -
                  • shootintom@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 20, 2010
                      Yeah, I've been trying to buy a copy of peroxyd for years now and came across the group about a year ago so I try the files section. I haven't upgraded to OSX yet because I don't use the Mac like I once did. I purchased oxyd when it came out and thought it was the most elegant game ever marketed. I'll have to load on my Mac and see if it still works.

                      Tom

                      ----- "atmolove" <olaf@...> wrote:

                      Heyheyhey... this group is still alive after all these years!!
                      > > (Per.)Oxyd is not compatible OSX; it works on OS9.
                      > In general it does, however, emulating OS9 under Mac OS X "Tiger" did not lead to good results. None of the Oxyd games was working with it.
                      > Don't laugh at me but I bought 2 old PowerPCs via ebay, only in order to be able to play the 2 player mode of Oxyd 1 :-o
                      > (...which is quite a challenge, as some of the landscapes require 2 human beings coordinating perfectly, not just 2 mice and monitors...)
                      > > And last but not least, you have to be a member of the yahoo group to download files.
                      > He should already be a member if he could post his question here?
                      > Greetz
                      > Olaf
                      > - atmolove -

                    • jmiller62
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 20, 2010
                        Hey Tom,

                        Are you looking for the Per.Oxyd book so you have a legit copy, or just a working Mac version? I see more Oxyd/Per.Oxyd books on the German version of eBay than in any other region. It's still rare to see them there, and german sellers don't always sell to buyers outside of Germany or Europe.

                        I thought I had an extra Per.Oxyd book, but it turned out to be an Oxyd book instead. So I have an Oxyd book and about 30 NOS Oxyd Magnum's on floppy for PC if anyone's interested :).

                        Jeff

                      • shootintom@comcast.net
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 21, 2010
                          I've downloaded  peroxyd from the files section and plan to load it today. Like I said, I purchase Oxyd years ago and still have it and I wanted my own copy of PerOxyd but if it plays from what I downloaded then it won't be a big deal. I'll let you know.

                          Tom

                          ----- "jmiller62" <jmiller62@...> wrote:

                          Hey Tom,
                          > Are you looking for the Per.Oxyd book so you have a legit copy, or just a working Mac version? I see more Oxyd/Per.Oxyd books on the German version of eBay than in any other region. It's still rare to see them there, and german sellers don't always sell to buyers outside of Germany or Europe.
                          > I thought I had an extra Per.Oxyd book, but it turned out to be an Oxyd book instead. So I have an Oxyd book and about 30 NOS Oxyd Magnum's on floppy for PC if anyone's interested :).
                          > Jeff
                          > --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com , shootintom@... wrote:
                          > >

                          > > Would anyone have a mac copy of peroxyd that they'd be willing to part with? I've been trying to buy a copy on ebay and haven'[t been successful yet.
                          > >

                          > > Thanks
                          > >

                          > > Tom
                          > >

                          > > ----- "Jeff" <jmiller62@...> wrote:
                          > > >

                          > > Hey Trevor,
                          > > >
                          > > > Welcome to the group. I personally haven't heard anything about Oxyd or Enigma on an iPhone. Seems to me that Enigma would be a more likely candidate. I briefy browsed the Enigma forum, but saw no obvious topics of interest. If you haven't already, you may want to post the same message there. If you discover anything please post the info to the group. Someone may find it useful.
                          > > >
                          > > > Have you heard of Mulg? I recall a discussion here a while back about a game for Palm products that is similar to Oxyd. The home page is http://www.harbaum.org/till/palm/mulg/  if you're interested.
                          > > >
                          > > > Jeff

                        • tom walck
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 3 1:48 PM
                            I've been playing the Mac version of Per Oxyd and when I try to go to a specific level it takes me right back to the main menu and then you have to close out the game. What I'm seeing is that right now you have to start at level 1 every time the game starts up. Anyone else having this kind of problem?

                            Tom

                          • atmolove
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 3 3:35 PM
                              Hi Tom, I remember such issues under Windows 98 SE, especially in level 100 Link (1 player mode). The level ended abruptly after approx. 15 Minutes.

                              Under Mac OS 9 I had similar problems, however, as I learnt later on, this was due to defective RAM. Otherwise it should be working alright.

                              Is that a "real" Mac OS9, or do you emulate it via Classic mode of Mac OS X? In the latter case... forget it. I never managed to play any Oxyd version correctly with that.

                              What Macintosh do you have? G4 or older?

                              Greetz
                              atmolove
                              (Olaf from Hamburg)
                            • jmiller62
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 3 9:17 PM
                                Hi Tom,

                                Are you using a patched version of PerOxyd? I don't remember if the Mac PerOxyd v4.7 in the files section has been patched already, or if you have to update it with the pox47dataa.sit and POXPREF.SIT files. I've only played the Mac versions on a PC using the BasiliskII emulator, and it's been a while.

                                Jeff

                              • shootintom@comcast.net
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 4 4:09 AM
                                  Genuine Mac G4 running OS 9.xx I couldn't get the PC version to load on my computer. Ram is good on it, I run PhotoShop and Illustrator with no problems. Any other ideas?

                                  Tom

                                • shootintom@comcast.net
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Feb 4 4:11 AM
                                    It's the patched version, I'll probably just deleted and reinstall.

                                    Tom