Enigma 1.01 released

  • itemfreeze
    Message 1 of 16 , May 27, 2007
      Hi,
      if anyone is interested, we just released Enigma 1.01.

      Enigma 1.01 is a bug fix and level addition release with
      some small feature additions.
      Thanks for all the feedback that has driven this release.
      The list of fixes and improvements includes:

      * 60++ new level (now more than 1000 in total)
      * added easy mode to some existing levels
      * fixes of all levels with known shortcuts
      * Finnish translation, French and Russian 1.0 manuals
      * support of updatable cross internet level packs
      * sound damping for noisy levels
      * Windows installer reengineering to modern NSI
      * many smaller enhancements

      Download from:
      http://www.nongnu.org/enigma/download.html

      Have fun!

      Greets,
      Andreas
    • Olaf
      Message 2 of 16 , May 27, 2007
        Hi Andreas,

        > if anyone is interested,...

        Of course we are!! ...well, me at least.

        > * 60++ new level (now more than 1000 in total)

        Great work, I'm extremely curious about the new ones. Many thanks for
        your great effort.

        Greetz
        atmolove
        (Olaf ...now downloading...)
      • burkhalter patrick
        Message 3 of 16 , May 27, 2007
          Hello i search the programm 4 oxyd magnum.
          can you my help ??

          To: oxyd@yahoogroups.comFrom: olaf@...: Sun, 27 May 2007 21:17:54 +0000Subject: [oxyd] Re: Enigma 1.01 released

          Hi Andreas,> if anyone is interested,...Of course we are!! ...well, me at least.> * 60++ new level (now more than 1000 in total)Great work, I'm extremely curious about the new ones. Many thanks foryour great effort.Greetzatmolove(Olaf ...now downloading...)

        • Olaf
          Message 4 of 16 , May 28, 2007
            > Hello i search the programm 4 oxyd magnum.
            > can you my help ??

            Hi Patrick,

            certainly :-) Just have a look in the "Files" section of this group.

            Are you looking for the PC-Version? You'll find it here:
            (of course there is a Mac version as well)

            HTH
            Olaf
          • susielee701
            Message 5 of 16 , May 28, 2007
              Can Oxyd Magnum be installed in Win XP?? No Dos?

              Susie
            • Olaf
              Message 6 of 16 , May 28, 2007
                > Can Oxyd Magnum be installed in Win XP?? No Dos?

                Well, try it... maybe you're lucky. I experienced both: It worked once - and the
                next time it didn't. Couldn't reproduce the error, so I don't know the reason.

                Maybe it is more reliable to use the DOSbox-Emulator from Sourceforge.

                CU
                Olaf

                P.S. The only Oxyd Game working reliably with Windows XP is Per.Oxyd - except
                for link level 100, which makes the game quit and return to the XP desktop after
                several minutes of playing.
              • Jeff
                Message 7 of 16 , May 28, 2007
                  --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, "susielee701" <susielee701@...> wrote:

                  > Can Oxyd Magnum be installed in Win XP?? No Dos?
                  >
                  > Susie

                  It will run in XP, but there will be no sound. When playing it on my
                  PC the mouse movement wasn't as smooth as it could have been. Some
                  people have used "DOSBox" or "VDMsound" to get the sound to work. I
                  once managed to get DOSBox to work, but it's been a long time since I
                  last tried. There are links in the "Links" section of the group if
                  you're interested.

                  Jeff
                • Jeff
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 28, 2007
                    --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, Olaf <olaf@...> wrote:

                    > > Can Oxyd Magnum be installed in Win XP?? No Dos?
                    >
                    > Well, try it... maybe you're lucky. I experienced both: It worked
                    once - and the
                    > next time it didn't. Couldn't reproduce the error, so I don't know
                    the reason.

                    > Maybe it is more reliable to use the DOSbox-Emulator from
                    Sourceforge.

                    > CU
                    > Olaf
                    >
                    > P.S. The only Oxyd Game working reliably with Windows XP is
                    Per.Oxyd - except
                    > for link level 100, which makes the game quit and return to the XP
                    desktop after
                    > several minutes of playing.

                    I had the same problem with Per.Oxyd link level 100 even in Win'98
                    and Win'98se and never could figure out what was causing the
                    problem. I think I eventually gave up and played it with the Mac
                    emulator Basilisk II and it worked okay then. It would be nice to
                    know why only that level seems to time out after a few minutes of
                    game play.

                    Jeff
                  • Susie Lee
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 28, 2007
                      Years ago I bought Oxyd and Oxyd Magnum when they first came out. They were my favorite games and I played them over and over again. I loved when we were able to just click on go to DOS. To heck with XP! I have Oxyd per and Enigma. I'll be glad when they come out with an edition for XP.
                      Thanks for your help!
                      Susie

                      Jeff <jmiller62@...> wrote:
                      --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, "susielee701" <susielee701@...> wrote:

                      > Can Oxyd Magnum be installed in Win XP?? No Dos?
                      >
                      > Susie

                      It will run in XP, but there will be no sound. When playing it on my
                      PC the mouse movement wasn't as smooth as it could have been. Some
                      people have used "DOSBox" or "VDMsound" to get the sound to work. I
                      once managed to get DOSBox to work, but it's been a long time since I
                      last tried. There are links in the "Links" section of the group if
                      you're interested.

                      Jeff

                    • Gaby
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 10, 2007
                        Hi,

                        could anynone tell me how to move the knight (horse) stones
                        without having to bump them a hundred times or is this the
                        only way to do it? Thanks for answering,

                        Gaby

                        http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/
                      • Clifford J. Tasner
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 10, 2007
                          Gaby,

                          You don't have to bump them a hundred times. Just one gentle hit
                          will work if you're coming from a diagonal and hitting the stone in
                          the direction you'd like it to go. It does take some practice, but
                          it gets easier and easier. Upon impact, try to slide your mouse a
                          little bit. Let me know if that works.

                          best,
                          Taztunes

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 11, 2007
                            Hi Taztunes,

                            if I have enough room to manoever it works fine meanwhile,
                            if not, it doesn't. But you are right, practice helps, so I
                            guess, I just go on.

                            Gaby

                            > You don't have to bump them a hundred times. Just one
                            > gentle hit
                            > will work if you're coming from a diagonal and hitting
                            > the stone in
                            > the direction you'd like it to go. It does take some
                            > practice, but
                            > it gets easier and easier. Upon impact, try to slide
                            > your mouse a
                            > little bit. Let me know if that works.
                            >
                            > best,
                            > Taztunes

                            http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC
                          • Clifford J. Tasner
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 12, 2007
                              Gaby,

                              Let me see if I can be more specific and more helpful.

                              Let's say you are above the chess stone and you want to push it down
                              two spaces and left one space.

                              You should come toward it at a 45° angle and hit it on the right half
                              of the top side of the stone.

                              When you hit, you don't just bounce off, but you try to sweep your
                              marble toward the left a little bit.

                              The sweeping motion seems to be the key, as far as I have seen. You
                              don't need a lot of room to maneuver.

                              If the chess stone is positioned so that another stone is diagonal to
                              it, you can carom your marble off of that stone and achieve the same
                              result with the chess stone.

                              Let me know if this helps.

                              best,

                              Taztunes

                              On Jun 11, 2007, at 10:25 PM, Gaby wrote:

                              > Hi Taztunes,
                              >
                              > if I have enough room to manoever it works fine meanwhile,
                              > if not, it doesn't. But you are right, practice helps, so I
                              > guess, I just go on.
                              >
                              > Gaby
                              >

                              > > You don't have to bump them a hundred times. Just one
                              > > gentle hit
                              > > will work if you're coming from a diagonal and hitting
                              > > the stone in
                              > > the direction you'd like it to go. It does take some
                              > > practice, but
                              > > it gets easier and easier. Upon impact, try to slide
                              > > your mouse a
                              > > little bit. Let me know if that works.
                              > >
                              > > best,
                              > > Taztunes

                              > mail, news, photos & more.

                            • Gaby
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 15, 2007
                                Hi Taztunes,

                                thank you for your explanation... I understand what you are
                                saying but I just cannot do it when there is little room. I
                                tried it so often now. Oh well. Maybe someday I get it
                                somehow :-)

                                Have a pleasant day
                                Gaby

                                http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/
                              • Clifford J. Tasner
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 15, 2007
                                  Gaby,

                                  You don't need much space to move the chess stone. You can move them
                                  with only one square to move around in. You should come at the chess
                                  stone at an angle, hit it on a spot that is between the corner of the
                                  stone and its midpoint. Upon impact, you should almost brush up
                                  against the chess stone, pushing in the direction from the corner to
                                  the midpoint. You're not hitting the stone straight on. You're
                                  making an arc (or a hook) with your marble, the last part of which is
                                  done, brushing up against the side of the stone.

                                  It's not about how hard you hit it - you can hit it softly. The key
                                  is the brushing motion at the end.

                                  Let me know if this helps at all.

                                  Taztunes

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 18, 2007
                                    Hi Taztunes,

                                    the marble always bounces off the stone, even when I touch
                                    it gently. I can't sweep or brush along. It is either me or
                                    my mouse who can't do it.

                                    Thanks for all your help.
                                    Gaby

                                    http://sims.yahoo.com/