Oxyd Magnum resets in DOSBox

  • andsuthe
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2006
      Hi guys, my copy of Oxyd Magnum (got it from here) just quits out as
      soon as I launch it from Dosbox.

      I read somewhere here that Soundblaster might be causing this... how
      do I disable that in Oxyd Magnum if I cant load it? I tried disabling
      sound in the dosbox config but it didnt make a difference.

      While I'm asking... per.Oxyd's video doesnt load right in Dosbox, it
      comes out all purple and yucky... any ideas? Tried different settings
      on dosbox but that didnt make a diff.

      I did however get Oxyd1 and Oxyd Extra to work properly :) -I even
      made .MSI self-enclosed installer files for them, it integrates
      dosbox, the oxyd game, a nice pretty shortcut in the start menu, the
      oxyd patch, and some documentation files altogether in a 3-5mb .msi
      file. Let me know if you'd like a copy :)
    • andsuthe
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 5, 2006
        --- In oxyd@yahoogroups.com, "andsuthe" <sutherlandandrew@...> wrote:

        > Hi guys, my copy of Oxyd Magnum (got it from here) just quits out as
        > soon as I launch it from Dosbox.
        >
        > I read somewhere here that Soundblaster might be causing this... how
        > do I disable that in Oxyd Magnum if I cant load it? I tried
        disabling
        > sound in the dosbox config but it didnt make a difference.
        >
        > While I'm asking... per.Oxyd's video doesnt load right in Dosbox, it
        > comes out all purple and yucky... any ideas? Tried different
        settings
        > on dosbox but that didnt make a diff.

        UPDATE: So it looks like an earlier version of Oxyd Magnum works, I
        was given another copy of the game... MY version, the one I got from
        this site, the oxydma.exe file is 332KB and theOXYDMIBM.DAT file is
        446KB.
        The version I was given that works is 289KB for oxydma.exe and 463KB
        for OXYDMIBM.DAT.

        The copy of Oxyd Magnum GOLD that is posted on here does the same
        thing, crashes as soon as it loads.

        Ideas folks? Please? Someone must know, since these files were posted
        on here! :)
        thanks
      • andsuthe
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 5, 2006
          Another update: I did a CLEAN floppy disk boot into REAL DOS, and ran
          the copies of oxyd magnum and oxyd magnum gold that I got from this
          site, neither of them work. They both just quit right out as soon as
          they load. Whats going on here?
        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 5, 2006
            I just downloaded both versions from the group and both work in XP by
            running the batch files (no sound of course). The version you have
            that works (289KB) is from the floppy version of Oxyd Magnum and seems
            to be more suited to a pure DOS environment. The other two versions
            appear to be more Windows friendly. I have an original Oxyd Magnum
            Gold CD and it comes with a Windows '95 installer not included in the
            Zip file available from the group. I would have included the installer
            also, but it wasn't necessary in order to run the game when using the
            batch file (OXYD_MGG.BAT) and the group ran out of file space.

            It's been a while, but I've had at least one of these versions working
            with DOSbox in XP Pro without any problems, though it was kind of a
            pain to set up. If you'd like I can e-mail the complete Oxyd Magnum
            Gold Zip to you so you'll have the installer files, but I doubt they'd
            be any use to you. It's 2.42MB.

            Jeff