RPCV

  • susan murray
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 18, 2004
      Nancy, Kevin, et all,

      I am so pleased to be a part of the Yahoo RPCV group. We may be small now
      but watch us grow as more volunteers become aware of the group. I liked the
      suggestion to search for some radio journalists to publicize the group's
      issues and concerns.

      I am in the midst of coping with various Drs. who indicate that my injuries
      are permanent but they also say that the DOL will likely want me to have an
      evaluation in order to close my medical file. I am frustrated and upset
      with this entire process.

      I looked in my health benefits handbook for RPCVs and found information that
      states that cases cannot be considered closed when there is indication of
      long-term disability or if additional medical care is needed. I do not
      understand where the DOL is coming from when since I have permanent damages
      to my neck and shoulder.

      I have spent numerous hours searching for a lawyer who handles Fed. w/c
      cases here in Oregon. The lawyers here only handle state w/c cases. I will
      not agree to anything from the w/c until I have legal advice. Does anyone
      know of any lawyer who deals with the Feds.? If so, perhaps it would be
      helpful to other disabled RPCVs if a list of lawyers could be compiled.

      Also, I had to enlist the help of Or. Sen. Ron Wyden to obtain approval from
      the DOL for medical treatment when I first returned from the PC. Perhaps it
      would be helpful to our group if we solicited some congressional support for
      the challenges disabled and injured RPCVs have to cope with when dealing
      with the DOL.

      Take care,
      Sue

    • owcp2004
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 19, 2004
        Hi Sue, and welcome.

        This group was Nancy's idea (a great one, I might add), and I was happy
        to set it up.

        Like Nancy, I'm not sure if it's worth following the legal path, but I
        would never dissuade anyone from exploring that option. There must be
        a lawyer in Oregon who takes federal workers' comp cases. Have you
        contacted your local and state bar associations for referrals?

        On a related note, I was speaking with a lawyer friend of mine a couple
        of days ago. She mentioned a class action lawsuit as an option for
        down the road. The drawback is that one must exhaust all
        administrative remedies before it's possible to sue OWCP.

        Kevin