Re: Prescription format

    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 30 5:56 AM

      Different people have had widely differing experiences with ACS. My
      one contact with them was so frustrating that I don't intend to
      contact them unless I really have to. What I was told by ACS is
      that they don't have the authority to approve anything. Rather I
      was informed that they administer only what has been approved by my
      claims examiner. Apparently in my case, they have been told which
      diagnosis (ICD-9) and procedure (CPT) codes are acceptable. If my
      doctor submits something outside of the "acceptable," ACS has no
      authority to do anything except to reject them. Of course, as a
      claimant, the only way to find out what's acceptable is by trial and
      error. No one (i.e., neither ACS nor OWCP) will provide much
      information to guide you.

      Some of what's acceptable doesn't even make sense. For example, in
      my case, the only ICD-9 codes that ACS will accept are 493 or 493.00.
      My doctor used 493.0 for years, but that will automatically reject
      from ACS' system even though it's a perfectly legitimate code.

      Furthermore, ACS isn't consistent. The last 6 bills that I've
      submitted for reimbursement have been filled out exactly the same
      way by my doctor. One was paid in full; two were not paid at all;
      and three were partially paid. Go figure!

      My caseworker in Congressman Bass' office won't deal with ACS
      either, preferring to contact OWCP directly.

      Kevin