Fwd: ill RPCV

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 13 9:12 PM
      In a message dated 4/13/2004 11:33:10 PM Eastern Standard Time, news@... writes:

      Subj:Re: ill RPCV
      Date:4/13/2004 11:33:10 PM Eastern Standard Time
      From:news@...
      To:FourDirect@...
      Sent from the Internet

      Hello Nancy,

      I have placed your announcement on the NPCA bulletin board and I can put
      something in the next issue of 3/1/61.

      I visited your yahoogroup list.  Are you aware of the legislation that was
      recently introduced by Henry Hyde that would include the creation of an
      ombudsman to help with cases such as yours?  Here is the item we recently
      ran about it on our listserv (which you can subscribe to for free,
      btw...follow the links off the Latest News on our home page...)

      LEGISLATION INTRODUCED CONCERNING PEACE CORPS SAFETY AND SECURITY ISSUES

      Following the March 24th Congressional hearing on the issue of Peace Corps
      safety and security, the Chairman of the House International Relations
      Committee, Henry Hyde (R-IL), has introduced H.R. 4060 the "Health, Safety
      and Security of Peace Corps Volunteers Act of 2004".

      The legislation proposes:
      1)    The establishment of an Office of the Ombudsman for the Peace Corps;
      2)    The codification of an Office of Safety and Security (with a stated
      sense of Congress that each country where Peace Corps has a program should
      have a country security coordinator);
      3)    A study and assessment of the "Five Year Rule" for Peace Corps employment;
      4)    Reporting on the Office of Medical Services;
      5)    Reporting on the work assignments of Peace Corps volunteers, and;
      6)    The establishment of an independent Inspector General for Peace Corps.

      Those interested in reviewing the complete text of the legislation can go
      to this link: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d108:h.r.04060: or
      enter bill "HR04060" at http://thomas.loc.gov.

      The NPCA will continue to monitor and report on developments pertaining to
      H.R. 4060.  To keep abreast of developments surrounding the safety and
      security issue, check: http://www.npca-advocacy.net/.

      If you have any comments or views on any part of H.R. 4060, please send
      them to mailto:advocacy@....

      Good luck, Erica

      Erica T. Burman
      News Director and Editor of 3/1/61