RE: [owcp] Thoughts on Helpful Info

  • Kurt Corwin
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 6, 2011

      My experience has been that once the elected officials rattle their cage they just do what they’re supposed to for awhile anyway.

      Kurt

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 6, 2011
        Yes, it is definitely worth doing! And it has yielded results with me.
        Nancy

      • Budgiehawk
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 8, 2011
          I agree.

          Most of the employees at OWCP are good people, but the agency is badly
          understaffed so they are forced to rush through everything. One OWCP
          employee who gave up a day of use-or-lose leave in order to approve
          payment to an employee I represented. The guy was about to lose his
          house.

            krcorwin@... writes:

> [...]

            > supposed to do when I travel?
            >
            > I have put together a list of questions and sent them to the
            > OWCP. I
            > have gotten no response. Perhaps if we all put together a few
            > questions
            > (like "what should I do if no doctor in my area will take my
            > workers'
            > comp as insurance?" or "for volunteers who are so severely mentally
            > disabled that they are unable to complete the FECA application
            > process
            > by themselves, how do they get assistance?"), compile them into
            > a letter
            > and then each of us could send it to our senators. It is one
            > thing for
            > us to ask for someone to be hired to help us. It is another to
            > ask to
            > be told the rules that we are supposed to live by.

          • Budgiehawk
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 8, 2011
              I'm with the American Federation of Government Employees. Although
              representing people in workers' comp is not technically our union's
              responsibility, I couldn't leave the folks without help. SSA
              management is untrained and sometimes unwilling to help.

                krcorwin@... writes:

> [...]

                > supposed to do when I travel?
                >
                > I have put together a list of questions and sent them to the
                > OWCP. I
                > have gotten no response. Perhaps if we all put together a few
                > questions
                > (like "what should I do if no doctor in my area will take my
                > workers'
                > comp as insurance?" or "for volunteers who are so severely mentally
                > disabled that they are unable to complete the FECA application
                > process
                > by themselves, how do they get assistance?"), compile them into
                > a letter
                > and then each of us could send it to our senators. It is one
                > thing for
                > us to ask for someone to be hired to help us. It is another to
                > ask to
                > be told the rules that we are supposed to live by.

              • Budgiehawk
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 10, 2011
                  Thank you. I'm happy to help.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 10, 2011
                    For anyone who is interested in contributing questions, please get them
                    to me by the end of the month (April 30, 2011). I'll compile them and
                    produce a letter that can be sent to congresspeople. -- Felicia