Re: [owcp] Thoughts on Helpful Info

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 5, 2011
      Yes, but it is rarely that simple. It does get the paperwork through but it doesn't ensure that other things are handled correctly. It is one step that people can take. Just make sure you go through your US senator and not your state senator.

      In a message dated 4/5/2011 3:10:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, Budgiehawk@... writes:

      In most cases no extra funding is needed.  The senator already has a staff member who contacts OWCP.  That makes the case a priority, one that the management makes sure is not handled wrongly.

      In a message dated 4/5/2011 2:58:36 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, felicia@... writes:

      I've heard rumblings about people being interested in going to our
      senators again to try to get some help with the OWCP. We can't ask for
      anything that requires more funding, as there is no way we would get
      that. However, one thing that we could ask for - quite reasonably, I
      think - is a list of rules/what is expected of us, frequently asked
      questions, and what our options are when we have problems. I am sent to
      second opinion evaluations about every 18 months and am given only two
      weeks notice. Since they are now requiring that I leave the state for
      this, it is quite difficult for me. Could I get more notice? What am I
      supposed to do when I travel?

      I have put together a list of questions and sent them to the OWCP. I
      have gotten no response. Perhaps if we all put together a few questions
      (like "what should I do if no doctor in my area will take my workers'
      comp as insurance?" or "for volunteers who are so severely mentally
      disabled that they are unable to complete the FECA application process
      by themselves, how do they get assistance?"), compile them into a letter
      and then each of us could send it to our senators. It is one thing for
      us to ask for someone to be hired to help us. It is another to ask to
      be told the rules that we are supposed to live by.

      -- Felicia

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 6, 2011
        As for the funding, I was referring to the ombudsman issues presented
        earlier.

        Also, if we each have to go through our senators each time we have a
        problem with the OWCP, that is kind of ridiculous. Luckily, I have not
        found it necessary to do that in the six years that I have had to work
        with them. However, if the group is uninterested in my proposal, I'm
        cool with that. -- Felicia

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 6, 2011
          Yes, I think trying to obtain a list of rules would be good. If we can get one unified letter together. That's pretty much what we did with Kevin a few years back - we got one master letter that we all signed. I'm in if you want to initiate that. Then we can each send it to our own senators.
          Nancy

        • Kurt Corwin
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 6, 2011

            My experience has been that once the elected officials rattle their cage they just do what they’re supposed to for awhile anyway.

            Kurt

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 6, 2011
              Yes, it is definitely worth doing! And it has yielded results with me.
              Nancy

            • Budgiehawk
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 8, 2011
                I agree.

                Most of the employees at OWCP are good people, but the agency is badly
                understaffed so they are forced to rush through everything. One OWCP
                employee who gave up a day of use-or-lose leave in order to approve
                payment to an employee I represented. The guy was about to lose his
                house.

                  krcorwin@... writes:

> [...]

                  > supposed to do when I travel?
                  >
                  > I have put together a list of questions and sent them to the
                  > OWCP. I
                  > have gotten no response. Perhaps if we all put together a few
                  > questions
                  > (like "what should I do if no doctor in my area will take my
                  > workers'
                  > comp as insurance?" or "for volunteers who are so severely mentally
                  > disabled that they are unable to complete the FECA application
                  > process
                  > by themselves, how do they get assistance?"), compile them into
                  > a letter
                  > and then each of us could send it to our senators. It is one
                  > thing for
                  > us to ask for someone to be hired to help us. It is another to
                  > ask to
                  > be told the rules that we are supposed to live by.

                • Budgiehawk
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 8, 2011
                    I'm with the American Federation of Government Employees. Although
                    representing people in workers' comp is not technically our union's
                    responsibility, I couldn't leave the folks without help. SSA
                    management is untrained and sometimes unwilling to help.

                      krcorwin@... writes:

> [...]

                      > supposed to do when I travel?
                      >
                      > I have put together a list of questions and sent them to the
                      > OWCP. I
                      > have gotten no response. Perhaps if we all put together a few
                      > questions
                      > (like "what should I do if no doctor in my area will take my
                      > workers'
                      > comp as insurance?" or "for volunteers who are so severely mentally
                      > disabled that they are unable to complete the FECA application
                      > process
                      > by themselves, how do they get assistance?"), compile them into
                      > a letter
                      > and then each of us could send it to our senators. It is one
                      > thing for
                      > us to ask for someone to be hired to help us. It is another to
                      > ask to
                      > be told the rules that we are supposed to live by.

                    • Budgiehawk
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 10, 2011
                        Thank you. I'm happy to help.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 10, 2011
                          For anyone who is interested in contributing questions, please get them
                          to me by the end of the month (April 30, 2011). I'll compile them and
                          produce a letter that can be sent to congresspeople. -- Felicia