Thoughts on Helpful Info

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 5 11:58 AM
      I've heard rumblings about people being interested in going to our
      senators again to try to get some help with the OWCP. We can't ask for
      anything that requires more funding, as there is no way we would get
      that. However, one thing that we could ask for - quite reasonably, I
      think - is a list of rules/what is expected of us, frequently asked
      questions, and what our options are when we have problems. I am sent to
      second opinion evaluations about every 18 months and am given only two
      weeks notice. Since they are now requiring that I leave the state for
      this, it is quite difficult for me. Could I get more notice? What am I
      supposed to do when I travel?

      I have put together a list of questions and sent them to the OWCP. I
      have gotten no response. Perhaps if we all put together a few questions
      (like "what should I do if no doctor in my area will take my workers'
      comp as insurance?" or "for volunteers who are so severely mentally
      disabled that they are unable to complete the FECA application process
      by themselves, how do they get assistance?"), compile them into a letter
      and then each of us could send it to our senators. It is one thing for
      us to ask for someone to be hired to help us. It is another to ask to
      be told the rules that we are supposed to live by.

      -- Felicia
    • Budgiehawk@aol.com

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 6 8:09 AM
            As for the funding, I was referring to the ombudsman issues presented
            earlier.

            Also, if we each have to go through our senators each time we have a
            problem with the OWCP, that is kind of ridiculous. Luckily, I have not
            found it necessary to do that in the six years that I have had to work
            with them. However, if the group is uninterested in my proposal, I'm
            cool with that. -- Felicia

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 6 10:09 AM
              Yes, I think trying to obtain a list of rules would be good. If we can get one unified letter together. That's pretty much what we did with Kevin a few years back - we got one master letter that we all signed. I'm in if you want to initiate that. Then we can each send it to our own senators.
              Nancy

            • Kurt Corwin
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 6 10:46 AM

                My experience has been that once the elected officials rattle their cage they just do what they’re supposed to for awhile anyway.

                Kurt

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 6 10:56 AM
                  Yes, it is definitely worth doing! And it has yielded results with me.
                  Nancy

                • Budgiehawk
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 8 10:00 AM
                    I agree.

                    Most of the employees at OWCP are good people, but the agency is badly
                    understaffed so they are forced to rush through everything. One OWCP
                    employee who gave up a day of use-or-lose leave in order to approve
                    payment to an employee I represented. The guy was about to lose his
                    house.

                      krcorwin@... writes:

> [...]

                      > supposed to do when I travel?
                      >
                      > I have put together a list of questions and sent them to the
                      > OWCP. I
                      > have gotten no response. Perhaps if we all put together a few
                      > questions
                      > (like "what should I do if no doctor in my area will take my
                      > workers'
                      > comp as insurance?" or "for volunteers who are so severely mentally
                      > disabled that they are unable to complete the FECA application
                      > process
                      > by themselves, how do they get assistance?"), compile them into
                      > a letter
                      > and then each of us could send it to our senators. It is one
                      > thing for
                      > us to ask for someone to be hired to help us. It is another to
                      > ask to
                      > be told the rules that we are supposed to live by.

                    • Budgiehawk
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 8 2:45 PM
                        I'm with the American Federation of Government Employees. Although
                        representing people in workers' comp is not technically our union's
                        responsibility, I couldn't leave the folks without help. SSA
                        management is untrained and sometimes unwilling to help.

                          krcorwin@... writes:

> [...]

                          > supposed to do when I travel?
                          >
                          > I have put together a list of questions and sent them to the
                          > OWCP. I
                          > have gotten no response. Perhaps if we all put together a few
                          > questions
                          > (like "what should I do if no doctor in my area will take my
                          > workers'
                          > comp as insurance?" or "for volunteers who are so severely mentally
                          > disabled that they are unable to complete the FECA application
                          > process
                          > by themselves, how do they get assistance?"), compile them into
                          > a letter
                          > and then each of us could send it to our senators. It is one
                          > thing for
                          > us to ask for someone to be hired to help us. It is another to
                          > ask to
                          > be told the rules that we are supposed to live by.

                        • Budgiehawk
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 10 12:32 AM
                            Thank you. I'm happy to help.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 10 9:01 AM
                              For anyone who is interested in contributing questions, please get them
                              to me by the end of the month (April 30, 2011). I'll compile them and
                              produce a letter that can be sent to congresspeople. -- Felicia