Owcp non-profit assistance

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2011
      Hi RPCV,
      Oh, your story sounds all too familiar and I am so sorry for you. Many of us have gone through similar battles and some of us continue to do so. I don't think that any of this should affect how future employers view you. It is horrible when dealing with getting coverage or compensation to live on is as challenging as being sick.

      One thing that I've found useful is to go through my US Senators. I don't know what state you're in but they are able to submit claims/letters to the department of labor/medical bills that haven't been paid/requests for pre-approval for medical care that you haven't been able to get through or get answers to. It doesn't reflect on your "record." All they do is to submit what you are struggling with but when they send it in the OWCP takes notice and responds quite quickly, in my history, at least.

      I would phone each of your two US (not state) senators' offices and find who the contact person is in each office that interfaces with the USDOL and send your photocopied materials directly to the attention of that individual but write the letter to Honorable... whomever. If you are in NY I can give your personal contact info. It's a strategy that has helped me. If you try this tact you might even be able to get pre-approval to seek treatment at your particular hospital and if you have pre-approval in letter form your institution may be willing to actually take you and do the billing. I have been able to accomplish this. I know how horrible it is not to get the care you need because no one is willing to deal with the billing issues - and with good reason.

      Nancy
      NYC
    • Roger Landry
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2011
        ok thanks

        Roger D. Landry
        colbyroger@...
        8565 Sugar Pine Place
        Tomball, TX 77375

      • RPCVLAJarvis@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3, 2011
          Sorry for all you are going through.
          It was senator - Barbara Boxer who ended up helping me.
          FYI - Diane Feistein sent a "thank you for your service, nothing I can do."
          I would write both your senators in case one won't help.

          Good luck!

          --Lauralee Jarvis
          RPCV EC70 Dominica - 2003-2005