65

  • skmackie
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 11, 2011
      I'll be turning 65 in a few months and am wondering whether my WC will be effected. Will I be thrown off and put on social security?
    • Budgiehawk
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 14, 2011
        Sorry for the delay in replying. We had a household emergency with my
        aged mother-in-law.

        No, you won't be thrown off-- unless the Republicans succeed in getting
        new legislation through.
        Workers' comp will continue as though you were 35. You can file for
        both. However, if you do get Social Security, the part of your Social
        Security benefit that is attributable to your work under FERS will be
        subtracted from your workers' comp. It may not be to your advantage,
        because the workers' comp is exempt from federal income tax. Medicare
        does not hurt anything.

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 15, 2011
          A relief to hear that. And thanks.

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 16, 2011