Letter from Acting Director Jody K. Olsen

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 15, 2009

      THE DIRECTOR OF THE PEACE CORPS
      WASHINGTON, DC

      July 9, 2009

      Mr. Kevin Clark
      OWCP Yahoo! Group
      owcp2004@...

      Dear Mr. Clark:

      We appreciate and share your concern for the ability of returned Peace Corps Volunteers
      (RPCVs) to receive needed and timely service from the Department of Labor's Office of
      Workers' Compensation Programs (OWCP) for medical claims filed under the Federal
      Employees Compensation Act (FECA).

      We are keenly aware that the claims process can be arduous and cause considerable
      frustration for RPCVs, and the Office of Medical Services' Post-Service Unit has been
      working closely with the Department of Labor (DOL) to determine how we can expedite and clarify the claims process for RPCVs. The Post-Service Unit provides considerable assistance to RPCVs as they work through the FECA process and has taken a number of significant steps to assist RPCVs in filing and tracking FECA claims with DOL. However, it is important to recognize that FECA is administered by DOL, not the Peace Corps, and DOL is solely responsible for the adjudication of all claims and reimbursements.

      The Post-Service Unit has been in the forefront of agency efforts to provide RPCVs with the support, guidance, and information they deserve. A partial list of the steps taken by the Post Service Unit includes:

      • Peace Corps Volunteers who are medically evacuated to Washington, D.C., meet
        one-on-one with a Post-Service Unit staff nurse regarding FECA benefits.
      • All Peace Corps Volunteers who are medically separated from their country of service to their home of record receive a telephone call from a Post-Service Unit nurse within three days of their separation to discuss their medical status and FECA benefits.
      • The Post-Service Unit has established a separate e-mail address, psu@..., which is made available to Peace Corps Volunteers at their close of service so they may submit medically related questions. This e-mail account is monitored, and queries responded to, by a Unit staff member four to five times a day.
      • The Peace Corps has updated and expanded the RPCV health benefits section on its website devoted to FECA. Prominently displayed information in this section includes:
        • >-Direct telephone line to Post-Service Unit Call Center: 1-800-424-8580, extension 1540

          >-Link to Department of Labor forms: http://www.dol.gov/Jibraryforms/formsbynum.asp

          >-Link for aJl inquiries regarding bills or reimbursements may be addressed to the Department of Labor at: 1-866-335-8319 or http://owcp.dol.acs-inc.com

      Proof that our cooperative efforts with DOL are proving beneficial to our RPCVs was made evident in a recent letter from Robert Sullivan, District Director of the Office of Workers' Compensation Programs Division of Federal Employees' Compensation, who stated: "The Peace Corps was among the largest source of CA-1s and CA-2s [claims] and you submitted over 94% of your CA-1s and CA-2s within 14 days, making you 10th out of 50 for the year. This is particularly noteworthy and laudable given the nature of your enrollees' assignments." In 2008, 96 percent of those claims were submitted within 14 days.

      The Peace Corps is 48-years young and refining and improving its procedures as it adapts to the changing needs of Volunteers and RPCVs. The improvements listed above are proof of our recent efforts to better assist RPCVs with FECA-related issues and the OWCP. Those improvements have been accomplished by the existing Post-Service Unit. Therefore, it is the position of the Peace Corps that the idea of an ombudsman or, more likely, an Office of the Ombudsman, which has been discussed off-and-on for years, is not the answer to this or other needs of Volunteers and RPCVs. We do not need an additional layer to the system.

      If you or other members of your group need assistance in dealing with OWCP, you are
      welcome to contact the Post-Service Unit Call Center: 1-800-424-8580, extension 1540.

      Again, thank you for your inquiry and dedicated support of the Peace Corps.

      Sincerely,

      Jody K. Olsen
      Acting Director

      (A copy of the original letter in pdf format can be found in our Files section.  The above is a text file generated by Adobe Reader.)

    • dan kane
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 15, 2009
        interesting.  1) While reasonably rapid submission rates are noteworthy as indicative of PCs support of PCVs or rather RPCVers needing DOl services, there is no indication of amount of time needed for  resolution of these claims by DOl, including similarily comparative data. 2)  Calling DOl costs money was omitted from comment. 3)  While the process is clearly cumbersome and even frustrating, it seems to be the only game in town...
        peace
        dk

        • The Post-Service Unit has established a separate e-mail address, psu@peacecorps. gov, which is made available to Peace Corps Volunteers at their close of service so they may submit medically related questions. This e-mail account is monitored, and queries responded to, by a Unit staff member four to five times a day.
        • The Peace Corps has updated and expanded the RPCV health benefits section on its website devoted to FECA. Prominently displayed information in this section includes:
          • >-Direct telephone line to Post-Service Unit Call Center: 1-800-424-8580, extension 1540

            >-Link to Department of Labor forms: http://www.dol. gov/Jibraryforms /formsbynum. asp

            >-Link for aJl inquiries regarding bills or reimbursements may be addressed to the Department of Labor at: 1-866-335-8319 or http://owcp. dol.acs-inc. com

        Proof that our cooperative efforts with DOL are proving beneficial to our RPCVs was made evident in a recent letter from Robert Sullivan, District Director of the Office of Workers' Compensation Programs Division of Federal Employees' Compensation, who stated: "The Peace Corps was among the largest source of CA-1s and CA-2s [claims] and you submitted over 94% of your CA-1s and CA-2s within 14 days, making you 10th out of 50 for the year. This is particularly noteworthy and laudable given the nature of your enrollees' assignments. " In 2008, 96 percent of those claims were submitted within 14 days.

        The Peace Corps is 48-years young and refining and improving its procedures as it adapts to the changing needs of Volunteers and RPCVs. The improvements listed above are proof of our recent efforts to better assist RPCVs with FECA-related issues and the OWCP. Those improvements have been accomplished by the existing Post-Service Unit. Therefore, it is the position of the Peace Corps that the idea of an ombudsman or, more likely, an Office of the Ombudsman, which has been discussed off-and-on for years, is not the answer to this or other needs of Volunteers and RPCVs. We do not need an additional layer to the system.

        If you or other members of your group need assistance in dealing with OWCP, you are
        welcome to contact the Post-Service Unit Call Center: 1-800-424-8580, extension 1540.

        Again, thank you for your inquiry and dedicated support of the Peace Corps.

        Sincerely,

        Jody K. Olsen
        Acting Director

        (A copy of the original letter in pdf format can be found in our Files section.  The above is a text file generated by Adobe Reader.)

      • Roger Landry
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 15, 2009
          I know if the DOL?OWCP has a claim open and it is closed to being a year old they close it with out a finding to get it of there desk or they will have to file a report on why it was not colse.That is why we get weard judments soem time

          Roger D. Landry
          colbyroger@...
          8565 Sugar Pine Place
          Tomball, TX 77375

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 15, 2009
            Saying she realized that the process sucks while telling
            us what a great job they do is kind of disingenuous, I
            think. -- Felicia

          • Roger Landry
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 15, 2009
              i just had enough denials when i know i can work with out hurting my self

              Roger D. Landry
              colbyroger@...
              8565 Sugar Pine Place
              Tomball, TX 77375

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 16, 2009
                My take on her letter is, "it's business as usual and we don't intend to change." The good news is, we may have a new PC Director soon. I wonder if there is anyway to have our questions/concerns come up at his confirmation hearing.

                --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, "Felicia" <felicia@...> wrote:

                > Saying she realized that the process sucks while telling
                > us what a great job they do is kind of disingenuous, I
                > think. -- Felicia
                >
                > > interesting.  1) While reasonably rapid submission rates
                > > are noteworthy as indicative of PCs support of PCVs or
                > > rather RPCVers needing DOl services, there is no
                > > indication of amount of time needed for  resolution of
                > > these claims by DOl, including similarily comparative
                > > data. 2)  Calling DOl costs money was omitted from
                > > comment. 3)  While the process is clearly cumbersome and
                > > even frustrating, it seems to be the only game in town...
                > > peace
                > > dk

              • Roger Landry
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 16, 2009
                  I do hope Dodd hold up the money till they fix the system

                  Roger D. Landry
                  colbyroger@...
                  8565 Sugar Pine Place
                  Tomball, TX 77375

                  My take on her letter is, "it's business as usual and we don't intend to change." The good news is, we may have a new PC Director soon. I wonder if there is anyway to have our questions/concerns come up at his confirmation hearing.

                  --- In owcp@yahoogroups. com, "Felicia" <felicia@... > wrote:

                  > Saying she realized that the process sucks while telling
                  > us what a great job they do is kind of disingenuous, I
                  > think. -- Felicia
                  >
                  > > interesting.  1) While reasonably rapid submission rates
                  > > are noteworthy as indicative of PCs support of PCVs or
                  > > rather RPCVers needing DOl services, there is no
                  > > indication of amount of time needed for  resolution of
                  > > these claims by DOl, including similarily comparative
                  > > data. 2)  Calling DOl costs money was omitted from
                  > > comment. 3)  While the process is clearly cumbersome and
                  > > even frustrating, it seems to be the only game in town...
                  > > peace
                  > > dk

                • Roger Landry
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 17, 2009
                    I have lost my ability to log in to OWCP Injured wile serving, my PC had crashed lost all my favorets ,can you help me out???

                    Roger D. Landry
                    colbyroger@...
                    8565 Sugar Pine Place
                    Tomball, TX 77375

                  • Budgiehawk@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 17, 2009
                      What would you like me to do for you?

                      In a message dated 12/17/2009 6:18:23 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, colbyroger@... writes:

                      I have lost my ability to log in to OWCP Injured wile serving, my PC had crashed lost all my favorets ,can you help me out???

                      Roger D. Landry
                      colbyroger@yahoo. com
                      8565 Sugar Pine Place
                      Tomball, TX 77375

                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 14, 2010
                        it was over a mouth ms Kennedy help me out

                        Roger D. Landry
                        colbyroger@...
                        8565 Sugar Pine Place
                        Tomball, TX 77375