Venting

  • owcp2004
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 17 5:45 AM
      I just got the following note from my Congressional caseworker:

      "Kevin: OWCP is blaming their contractor and the Contractor is
      blaming OWCP. We have contacted the Dept. of Labor in DC asking that
      they get involved. I am awaiting their response ..."

      On the surface, what she says sounds reasonable. However, it's been
      nearly 3 months since she contacted DC. Sometimes I think I have to
      prod my Congressional office to get anything done. Does anyone else
      share my frustrations?

      Kevin
    • Heidi Fassnacht
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 17 6:43 AM
        Hey Kevin,

        The folks here in WI were pretty good in that respect.
        Any time they heard anything from OWCP they would
        notify me (ie. send me a copy w/ cover letter). I
        think at one point my congressional caseworker said
        that they updated me every 45 days, but I never kept
        track. Three months with no word or action sounds
        long. It is discouraging to feel you must prod your
        congressional case worker since that is what we
        constantly have to do with OWCP.

        In my case, I was pretty proactive, contacting OWCP in
        the mean time trying to figure things out (I was
        working on getting a reimbursement claim paid. In the
        end it took me a year to get it paid, the last 4
        months I had the help of my congresswoman's office).
        Anytime I would send something more to OWCP, I would
        check with my congresswoman's office to make sure this
        would not confuse any action she had taken. Their
        office had me send them copies of whatever I sent to
        OWCP. So, basically, we were both working on it from
        different angles, keeping each other posted as to what
        we were doing and what response we were getting.

        Is there any avenue you can pursue on your own in this
        matter? I might also contact your congressional
        caseworker and somehow tactfully mention that it has
        been 3 months since she contacted DC and that seems
        more than enough time to have received a response and
        encourage her to put a little pressure on DOL to get a
        response...perhaps a follow-up letter from her
        inquiring of DOL as to the status of their response to
        her request for information.

        I hope that is somewhat helpful. Good luck!

        :) Heidi

        --- owcp2004 <rpcv@...> wrote:
        > I just got the following note from my Congressional
        > caseworker:
        >
        > "Kevin: OWCP is blaming their contractor and the
        > Contractor is
        > blaming OWCP. We have contacted the Dept. of Labor
        > in DC asking that
        > they get involved. I am awaiting their response ..."
        >
        > On the surface, what she says sounds reasonable.
        > However, it's been
        > nearly 3 months since she contacted DC. Sometimes I
        > think I have to
        > prod my Congressional office to get anything done.
        > Does anyone else
        > share my frustrations?
        >
        > Kevin

        =====
        "In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy." John Sawhill

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • owcp2004
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 19 1:19 PM
          Heidi,

          Thanks for your note--and support.

          I've worked with Senators and Representatives in Western Washington
          (Seattle area), Eastern Washingon, Illinois (Chicago area), and now in
          New Hampshire. Some case workers have been very good; others only
          fair.

          Like you, I prefer to be proactive. Right now, I can't get a response
          from either OWCP or its contractor (ACS). The case worker in my
          Representative's office has asked me to let her take care of the
          matter. Maybe I'm impatient or feel that I have less control since I'm
          not actively advocating for myself. I think the latter has a lot to do
          with my frustration.

          I have already gently prodded my case worker. That's tricky since I
          don't want to alienate the only person who is currently working on my
          behalf.

          Yesterday, I received a "Remittance Voucher" from ACS for an
          acupuncture treatment that I received in January. I was pleased to see
          that I'm scheduled to receive full reimbursement for that treatment.
          The puzzling part is that ACS has in the past denied all or part of the
          charges for acupuncture even though my physician filed the claim
          exactly the same way each time!

          Kevin