What Next?

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2008
      If I remember correctly, the last thing posted in this
      group was a question about what we should do next, since
      our elected officials have failed us. I would like to
      suggest that we send an email or letter to all of the RPCV
      groups (they are easy to find on the rpcv.org page) asking
      for their help. It should be a short, clear letter
      explaining our situation, what we want them to do, and
      with a list of names, dates and countries of service. We
      might also want to consider sending the same letter - or
      at least a similar one - to well known figures who are
      RPCVs. For example, the mayor of my city is an RPCV.
      Then we should write a press release and send it to both
      small and large newspapers (and perhaps our local TV
      stations) announcing our desperate letter writing campaign
      and how the government is letting those who served the
      country in peace fall through the cracks. Lastly, we
      might consider asking friends and family to write letters
      asking for help for us. We should collect a list of which
      elected officials we contacted about this and when - if
      this hasn't already been done - as a list of who we have
      contacted might help spur people to action.

      Those are all my suggestions. I hope that helps. I also
      finally did send out a letter to the senators from Oregon
      and my representative (DeFazio).

      Is anyone waiting for stuff from group members to get to
      congresspeople? I think I sent my history/all relevant
      owcp info to Kevin, so that can be passed on if necessary.

      -- Felicia Kenney (Benin, 2003-4)