Re: [owcp] medical separation question

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 14, 2008
      You were medically separated, which will help your claim a
      lot. You should definitely resubmit. What happens if
      this gets worse or some day you need expensive treatment?
      It is 100% worth all the hassle, even though it may not
      seem like it at the time. -- Felicia

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 14, 2008
        In a message dated 1/14/2008 4:14:26 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, allykelly211@... writes:
        Hello,

        I am new to the group! I was medically separated from the PC about
        1.5 years ago to a unknown neurological attack. I have recently been
        diagnosed. Peace Corps paid for a couple of my initial visits and
        they I had to rely on the insurance thru Corps care. That has since
        expired. I sent a message to my PCMO to notify him that I was
        diagnosed. He said that I can ressurect my FECA claim which was
        denied initially because of lack of diagnosis. My question is: Do
        you think I should resubmit for FECA? What is the probability that I
        would win?? Thank you in advance for any info.
        I agree that you should without question resubmit. It often takes various tries and is a frustrating process but you do need to get a claim "approved" and a diagnosis out there so that you can be covered in the future. Peace Corps should have sent this through OWCP/DOL and not their own insurance company but this was an easier way out for them. I went through a long siege of things without a diagnosis as I'm so glad that I persevered and did finally get clarity on what I have and get treatment for it. It is a catch 22 initially as it's very hard to get coverage without a diagnosis and vice versa but having been medically separated will definitely work in your favor. I hope you will pursue this.

      • allykelly211
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 14, 2008
          Thank you for the advice. I guess I should explain more about why I
          am skeptical. I have been diagnosed with Chronic lyme disease. So it
          is very possible that I was bitten by the tick before I left for the
          Peace Corps althought my first symptom(facial paralysis) started in
          the Peace Corps. Chronic lyme and the treatment is controversial in
          itself. Only Lyme literate doctors can treat it and many of them do
          not take insurance. Very expensive. I am unable to work due to my
          condition with myriad symptoms. Although I am happy to be finally
          diagnosed and I do not have MS which was previous thought, I have a
          new list of challenges. I am very appreciative of all the advice.
          Very happy I joined the group!

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 14, 2008
            Let's assume that the OWCP doesn't end up paying for
            doctors because they don't take the "insurance". If you
            can't work, you still get compensation for that. --
            Felicia

          • RPCVLAJarvis@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 15, 2008
              The only piece of advice I have is to sit and link all events and follow up doctor visits and everything related to this.  They might tell you that it has been a 1 1/2 years since you separated and they might tell you that it is two separate illnesses.  They might say you got the lyme disease after you got back and what happened in the PC was a different illness.  It happened to me with sinus and lung issues.  I had to go back and prove that it was still the same illness and never properly treated by PC in country then in DC before medically separating me.  It was a long fight, but I fought and won.  I had a medical time line to prove I never got "better" which they kept saying I did.

              Best of luck!
              : )
              --LJ
              RPCV: EC70