Re: [owcp] New to group

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 14, 2008
      There are a whole ton of us. There is an online support
      group you can reach via http://lariaminfo.org/. Can I ask
      why you are interested? -- Felicia

      > I am interested in speaking with a RPCV who had a reaction
      > to the anti-
      > malarial drug, Lariam.
    • Jeff E. Robinson
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 14, 2008
        Felicia,

        After 2 1/2 years of a very successful service with the Peace Corps I
        had a sudden unknown attack of anxiety and fatigue which was strong
        enough to lead me to voluntarily terminate my 2nd extension. Since
        returning to the US I have since "recuperated" but still have issues
        with mild nervousness and tension. During my first year of service, I
        took mefloquine as directed with few side effects. I recall having
        vibrant but enjoyable dreams. At times I noticed I would feel
        exciteable in certain situations which is completely unlike me. By the
        beginning of my 2nd year of service, I noticed the dreams were
        frightening and would wake up in the night in sweats. One night I
        awoke and had completely lost my ability to balance while standing.
        Within a few minutes, I regained my composure. I decided then to stop
        taking the mefloquine and notified the PCMO. After which I switched to
        doxy and within a few weeks resumed back to normal. Although I felt
        perfectly fine, I did notice that internally I felt uneasy at times of
        stress that would not normally have bothered me before. I continued to
        work on the project and didn't give it much thought since I assumed I
        was just under a type of "cultural stress". I was thoroughly enjoying
        my service and extended for 6 months after my COS date. At the end of
        the extension...I had quite an experience that I would like to share
        with other volunteers to find out if they had a similar event. It was
        never diagnosed as lariam related but I have always been suspicious if
        there could have been a connection, as I have been quite surprised by
        what happened.

        Jeff

      • Q83646@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 14, 2008
          I know a Marine who had a severe reaction to the Malaria drug. The MC tested his blood and it showed a reaction. However, they continued to give him the shots to his detriment. By the way, the VA never gave him a rating on the issue.

          I am interested in speaking with a RPCV who had a reaction to the anti-
          malarial drug, Lariam.

        • Donald Weaks
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 14, 2008
            You are an idiot and should not be allowed to
            contribute to this site. Larium, doxy and most other
            malaria meds are oral. Where did you come up with this
            b.s?

            HELP FIGHT HIV and AIDS in AFRICA. Visit our website at www.hthglobal.org and make a tax deductible contribution to: Hope Through Health, PO Box 605, Medway, MA 02053-0605

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 14, 2008
              Hey, that kind of talk is uncalled for. Please note, this
              list isn't for Lariam sufferers, it is for the OWCP. --
              Felicia

              > You are an idiot and should not be allowed to
              > contribute to this site. Larium, doxy and most other
              > malaria meds are oral. Where did you come up with this
              > b.s?
              > --- Q83646@... wrote:
              >
              >> I know a Marine who had a severe reaction to the
              >> Malaria drug. The MC tested his blood and it showed
              >> a reaction. However, they continued to give him the
              >> shots to his detriment. By the way, the VA never
              >> gave him a rating on the issue.
              >>

              >> ?Q

            • Leonore Adams
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 14, 2008
                maybe she's on larium.

                To: owcp@yahoogroups.com
                From: felicia@...
                Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 19:40:31 -0800
                Subject: Re: [owcp] New to group

                Hey, that kind of talk is uncalled for. Please note, this
                list isn't for Lariam sufferers, it is for the OWCP. --
                Felicia

                > You are an idiot and should not be allowed to
                > contribute to this site. Larium, doxy and most other
                > malaria meds are oral. Where did you come up with this
                > b.s?
                > --- Q83646@... wrote:
                >
                >> I know a Marine who had a severe reaction to the
                >> Malaria drug. The MC tested his blood and it showed
                >> a reaction. However, they continued to give him the
                >> shots to his detriment. By the way, the VA never
                >> gave him a rating on the issue.
                >>

                >> ?Q

                Make distant family not so distant with Windows Vista® + Windows Live™. Start now!
              • Q83646@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 14, 2008
                  from medical records...

                  Now, let us not get personal and call each other names...unless of course your brain has been affected by what ever drugs you are on, in which case...I get it. Rock on.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 14, 2008
                    Thank you Felicia. I hope my response to this person did not offend anyone.

                    I am new to the site. I want to clarify that I am in the OWCP....but I read a lot about the Peace Corp. I am in the wrong acronym? What is OWCP to you?

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 15, 2008
                      No, probably not. But I was. -- Felicia