Re: New to Group

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2008
      Hi Barry, and welcome to the Group. If one of our members has found
      him- or herself in situation similar to yours, hopefully you'll get
      some answers (or at least some opinions) here.

      Unfortunately, you have joined the Group when it is experiencing a
      lull. That's partly due to the holidays; partly because we are
      awaiting responses from Senators Dodd and Gregg. As you know as well
      as anyone, the wheels of bureaucracy move slowly.

      Kevin

      --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Scroggin" <barryscroggin@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello everyone, I've spent the past couple of days reviewing the
      past messages and
      > understand that most here are PCV's.
      >
      > I work for the US Army as a civilian employee at a Lock and Dam on
      the Mississippi River
      > just north of St Louis MO. I was injured on the job back in
      February. It is a lower back
      > injury. I was back to work in light duty status and had a second
      accident (lower back
      > again) in April. It took until the end of August before OWCP
      finally accepted the first claim.
      > The second claim was denied because (I believe) of the witness
      statements. The witnesses
      > are my two supervisors one of whom, because of horsing around
      caused the accident. Now
      > of course they are going to down play the accident because It just
      isn't going to look good
      > to the bosses further up the chain of command that a supervisor
      caused the accident. I've
      > been off work since the second accident and went to the appeal
      hearing with my attorney.

      > Since I was back to work on light duty and the second claim was
      denied. OWCP's stance is
      > that I should still be at work on light duty. Even though I have
      three Dr's saying I can't
      > return to work. I don't get it. I have used up all of my leave,
      both sick leave and vacation,
      > and haven't gotten a check for five months. The person I deal with
      at our district office
      > says that all I can do is wait for OWCP / DOL to make their
      decision on the appeal.

      > It is very difficult to not be angry that the system doesn't care
      about the supervisors lying
      > on their statements. I feel that if this were brought out in the
      open that the denial would
      > be reversed on credibility reasons.
      >
      > It also is very difficult to stay positive. Depression is not
      unusual dealing with the OWCP
      > and the DOL while you are also dealing with back pain.
      >
      > I found this group and hoped by teaming up I could get some
      answers, comments,
      > whatever.
      >
      > Thanks for being there.
      >
      > Barry

    • Jennifer Giacomini
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2008
        I was brainstorming with my family over the holidays about this group and ways to get, well, anything to happen.  Someone mentioned trying to team up with other organizations already lobbying the OWCP for their people.  The only one I can think of is the Veterans Affairs, but I was just on the website and saw that it is indeed a government agency and therefore probably not ideal.

        Does anyone have any ideas on an entity or other similar groups working towards the same goals:  equality and activity in OWCP claims?
        Jen Giacomini
        RPCV Togo '99-'01

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 14, 2008
          Hi Jen,

          This is a good idea. If anyone knows of other groups doing similar
          work, I for one would like to hear about them. My take is that, for
          good or bad, we are the pioneers in this area.

          Veterans have service organizations that are unaffiliated with the
          VA. However, when they're assisting veterans with medical issues,
          they are dealing with the VA healthcare system, not OWCP.

          Too few people are willing to take on OWCP, especially the Bush
          OWCP. I think that's one reason why most of our elected
          representatives have been unwilling to assist our group.

          Kevin

          P.S. Another comment about the Bush OWCP: It really gripes me that
          the current Secretary of Labor, Elaine Chao, is a former Peace Corps
          Director and we still get treated the way we do!

          --- In owcp@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Giacomini <jengiacomini@...>