Re: [owcp] Re: Letter to Senator Klobuchar....

    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 12, 2007
      Where did you see those statistics? The study I've seen
      does indeed say that about 25% of people suffer some short
      term side effects but only 1 in 10,000 have something
      severe enough that it requires hospitalization. I totally
      disagree that there is no way to know who will be
      affected. It seems that it is mainly "type A"
      personalities. However, if no one studies it, we can
      guarantee that no one will know. All this might be more
      clear in the DOD study, but since they haven't released
      it, we don't know about that either. Since most of us
      can't even get diagnosed as having had problems with
      Lariam, it seems like we will face significant difficulty
      getting this drug taken off the market. However, saying
      "Many of us think this drug is the cause of our problems
      and many doctors agree. Would you please pressure the DOD
      to release their study and ask other government agencies
      that use it to keep much much better records of who gets
      it and how they react?" seems like it would get a better
      reception. If it then turns out that many more Peace
      Corps volunteers and service members are having problems
      than was originally believed, then everyone will call for
      these organizations to stop using it rather than just a
      few people. -- Felicia

      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 12, 2007
        Go to www.lariaminfo.org and read the most recent article, an article that appeared on the website and in the journal Medication Sense.

        Where did you see those statistics? The study I've seen
        does indeed say that about 25% of people suffer some short
        term side effects but only 1 in 10,000 have something
        severe enough that it requires hospitalization. I totally
        disagree that there is no way to know who will be
        affected. It seems that it is mainly "type A"
        personalities. However, if no one studies it, we can
        guarantee that no one will know. All this might be more
        clear in the DOD study, but since they haven't released
        it, we don't know about that either. Since most of us
        can't even get diagnosed as having had problems with
        Lariam, it seems like we will face significant difficulty
        getting this drug taken off the market. However, saying
        "Many of us think this drug is the cause of our problems
        and many doctors agree. Would you please pressure the DOD
        to release their study and ask other government agencies
        that use it to keep much much better records of who gets
        it and how they react?" seems like it would get a better
        reception. If it then turns out that many more Peace
        Corps volunteers and service members are having problems
        than was originally believed, then everyone will call for
        these organizations to stop using it rather than just a
        few people. -- Felicia

        > Felicia,
        >
        > The statistics I've seen say that 20% or more of Lariam
        > users suffer adverse side effects, many of them severe and
        > permanent. So there are a large number of people are
        > affected. There is very little way to know who exactly
        > will be affected aside from the obvious, e.g. people
        > suffering from depression, etc.
        >
        > Andy Sterioff

        com>

        Klobuchar

        _________ _

        target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://tools. search.yahoo. com/newsearch/ category. php?category= shopping

        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 13, 2007
          Thank you Nancy,

          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 13, 2007
            Sorry, but that was written by Sue Rose from Lariaminfo.
            While they are good people and I appreciate their work,
            Sue is a lawyer, not a researcher or a doctor (I think).
            I do not believe that they accurately represent the number
            of people who have problems with Lariam. For a long time,
            they were saying 40%, which just isn't true from my
            experience.

            Anyway, I expect we are boring others with our continued
            discussion of this subject, since it relates to relatively
            few OWCP claims. If you would like to discuss it further,
            we should probably do it outside the group. -- Felicia

            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 13, 2007
              Sue also has her MPH (Master's of Public Health) and does work for Lariam Action pro bono.

              ymailto="mailto:felicia%40panix.com">felicia@panix. com>